Author Topic: Insurance Coverage for a Phonak Hearing Aid  (Read 11875 times)

agomezde

Insurance Coverage for a Phonak Hearing Aid
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:11:41 pm »
I was born with a malformation in my inner ear resulting in SSD in my left ear. I have normal hearing in my right ear. I've been deaf in one ear my whole life (18 years). I go to Purdue University, and just found out I can get a Phonak CROS hearing aid. My audiologist said it would cost 2,490. Tuition at Purdue is already extremely expensive, and I can't afford to pay the full cost for the hearing aid. But I would really like to have it because it would help me in classroom settings. Is there a way I could get my insurance to cover it? Or at least most of it?

I have bluecross blueshield
Abby
Born with SSD in left ear
inner ear malformation
sensorineural hearing loss

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Insurance Coverage for a Phonak Hearing Aid
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:18:27 am »
You can always ask your insurance company about a hearing aid, but expect to hear them say no. They may approve a BAHA, so ask about that also.

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:33:15 pm »
Most insurance companies don't cover conventional hearing aids, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

You might also see if you are eligible for a Cochlear Implant (CI) or a Bone-Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA); both are typically covered by insurance.  Which one would work for you depends on the type of malformation you have in your inner ear.  Check out www.cochlearamericas.com for more information.

Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:36:12 am »
Not sure about "regular " BC/BS, however, Federal BC/BS will pay $1250 per ear every 3 yrs for regular hearing aids,,not too bad !

Have not checked on what they pay for the Cros or BAHA!,, so won't hurt to ask... In your situation seems like you would qualify for some assistance as you have been SSD since birth,,good luck and let us know what you find out,, we wish you the best,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

sunfish

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:21:53 am »
Some states require insurance companies to at least partially cover hearing aids, if they're going to do business in that state. 
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:38:42 am »
JUST seen a post in Facebook that their BC/BS DID cover their CROS, but I think like above it was for a federal company.  Each companies policies do vary.
And a KEY thing to know for ALL is that companies some take make addendums (changes, usually add on) to their policy ANY time through the year!  So never hurts to check back every few months ;)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 08:32:11 am »
Is there a way I could get my insurance to cover it? Or at least most of it?

Here's how you find out.

You take your policy or plan booklet, put it on the table in front of you, read every word on every page and you should, at some point, come to the part that tells you whether hearing aids are covered or not.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »
Is there a way I could get my insurance to cover it? Or at least most of it?

Do as arizonajack suggested in the previous post and carefully read the policy specifics related to hearing aids.  If that proves fruitless - it shouldn't - call the toll-free number on your policy and ask for Customer Service.  Have your policy number in front of you...and be prepared to be on 'hold' for some time.  Be clear and succinct in your questions and be sure to write down the answers you receive and the name of the person you talked to.  This is intended to negate possible claims made after the fact by the insurance company asserting that the information you received from a telephone Customer Service Representative were inaccurate. Having their name helps.  I speak from experience.  Good luck - and better hearing!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.