Author Topic: pissed off at my doc  (Read 17109 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: pissed off at my doc
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:17 pm »
Lori and Dale, thanks for being voices of reason here.

After reading funnydream's post earlier today I couldn't think of a civil response and very truthfully just wanted to say "WTF???" but wasn't sure that was something I could say on the Forum.  (SORRY, PHYL)  ::)

Frivilous lawsuits are what makes insurance rates sky-high, plus lawyers ain't cheap (trust me, I've paid thousands to a couple over the past few years)  :P  Nothing to do with malpractice or criminal activity, I assure you.

The kind of money a doctor does or does not make really is irrelevant here and quite frankly if I was a doctor and someone directly told me they had googled my income I'd wonder what their motivation was. 

What if doctors googled our incomes and charged us for their services based on what we make? 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:11 pm »
I do truly understand Melinda's dissatisfaction and frustration with her circumstances.  I'm a nurse, for goodness sake, and I can see how those angry feelings can evolve.  I'd be angry if I couldn't heal up my head after my surgery also!  I think it is good for Melinda, and any of us, to be able to vent here on this site.  I think that recommending litigious actions is inappropriate and that understanding and compassion are what is called for here. 

Melinda, to you I want to say that no matter what the reason, if you are not comfortable with Dr. Baker, by all means get another opinion.  The issue, however, is your comfort level with his responses to you and his helpfulness in alleviating your unfortunate discomfort.  The issue is not his negligence.  It's so important for us to be comfortable with our health care providers, so by all means, follow your gut with that one.

Jan, you are so right.  Part of the predicament we are in with our health care system is related to our country being so litigious and driving up costs of healthcare.  Everyone wants "justice" but they lash out when things don't go perfectly and known risks can happen randomly....not because the doctor screwed up.  I was told before my BAHA surgery that the biggest risk I had was post op infection and healing issues.  This is called INFORMED CONSENT!  So, though we don't all have bad outcomes (in fact, most don't) it is important to know it's ok to get angry, but to have boundaries about what we do with that anger.  Why do we insist on shooting ourselves in the foot?
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 07:12:51 pm »
After reading funnydream's post earlier today I couldn't think of a civil response and very truthfully just wanted to say "xxx???" but wasn't sure that was something I could say on the Forum.  (SORRY, PHYL)  ::)
keep is clean girlie... too many know acronyms online......... *cracks whip!*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 07:15:20 pm »
Ooooohhh.... Jan got the virtual washing out of the mouth with soap!   ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »
I said I was sorry.  Just be thankful I didn't write what I was sorely tempted to write this morning.  Now THAT was a response you would have definitely had to censor.

Will keep it clean, scouts honor  :-X
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »
I guess the way I look at it. Is calling the local bar association is free. And every state I been in they have a free work shop at certain days of the week that you can talk to attorneys for free. And get to know were you stand legally.

I'm a true capitalist. And I look at most things as a trade. When someone I trade with is getting a good deal. I expect service. If not I try and shame them into service. In the end I'm free to move on.

The legal system deals in pain and suffering.

If I drive 8 hours to see a doctor 3 times and he says everything looks normal. Then I find out I have a staff infection. I'm calling a attorney to find out just were I stand. Because that is un-cool.

I'm glad to see so many post saying no to law suites. I'm not saying Sue. I have been down and that road and won big time. And still went backwards with all the time, effort, and emotion.

I guess I should be more clear. Just call for legal advice and find out were you stand.

Melinda,
I hate that your posting has been derailed by my comment about contacting legal council. You can also just flat out confront your Doctor and tell him your not feeling that your needs are being met. And see if he doesn't pick it up a bit.

I don't even know if there is a medical board you can send a email too to complain? Thats why I would call free legal advice and find out.

I do know you can hit the web and post reviews about your ENT and warn others.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

mellowrama

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 05:53:15 pm »
thanks for all the feedback-

Its been a while since my post.  Since then I've gotten feedback from 2 otolaryngologists, and had the post removed, 3 cysts removed.  I never meant to imply that only Dr. Freidman was capable for this surgery...I am wondering about how current Dr. Baker is in his skill set as the recommendations by others seem standard.

Both otolaryngologists immediately recommended a longer post and said this was the new standard.  The docter that examined me recommends surgically revising the area (de-fleshing) so that there space for the baha to work properly.  He also recommended getting the cysts removed.

The original (Dr Baker) never recommmended anything! He implied all was normal.  He also continued examining my head after answering his cell phone (possible infecting me with the staph infection). 

I'm not crazy about law suits  -but I don't think he should be treating patients in this way...AND, as a result of his negligence I've seen numerous doctors costing me & my insurance lots of $$.  Also, if I don't ever get to wear the device again that is about 50K that BCBS paid out after a really working hard to get them to approve the surgery & device.  How many others could this effect if BCBS stops approving the device due to problems such as this?  At the very least I can do is post this info so that maybe it doesn't happen to someone else.
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Himal

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »
Dear all, I also have concerns with Dr. Baker. I had a middle ear surgery with him on march of 2011. My hearing improved for a month and after the month it went to abnormal as it was before. When I went for follow up, he said that we need to do surgery again but this time with laser. But before the surgery, he had said that he would use laser and when I asked him about that he declined and said that he would help me for the next surgery cost. But now, he is saying that I have to pay for whatever the insurance does not cover. He kind of lured me when I went to see him for the first time.He had mentioned several times before the surgery that overall success rate is 90% but at his hand it is over 99% so I was convinced with him. What do I do now?

GaleWynne

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 06:51:40 pm »
Everyone's situation is different. There is a point where you have to look at all of your options in terms of how to deal with someone.  I think FunnyDream's advice is a viable set of options as to how to deal with the situation.  As options to weigh against a person's individual set of facts and circumstances. 

And, sometimes as hard as it is, we have to confront the person and bring up our dissatisfaction. Who knows, you might get a different reaction than what you expect. 

Sister 3MM surgically removed 11/2001.
Me - Tinnitus Jan 2011. MRI April 2011 almost 2MM AN.  Symptoms increased June 2011; MRI over 2MM AN July 2011. July 2012 MRI: AN now 2 MM which ties to symptom decline. July 2013 MRI: barely 2MM Aug 2015: STABLE Aug 2017: STABLE Oct 2019: STABLE!