Author Topic: BAHA and Hair  (Read 9762 times)

LizAN

BAHA and Hair
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:06 pm »
How much does hair hanging over a BAHA processor cause irritating noise and interfere with hearing?

I'm thinking of growing my hair out so that it will cover my BAHA (when I have one) but I actually like my hair short, so maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to keep it that way.   ;)

Those of you whose BAHAs show, do you get a lot of strange looks from people?

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA and Hair
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:27:40 am »
Liz .....

There is absolutely no noise from my Oticon Ponto Pro bone-anchored hearing device.  I only have mild feedback if I accidentally touch one of the microphones when putting it on or taking it off.  I also sometimes get feedback if I wear a tight-fitting hood over my head and it touches a microphone.

My hair is short but my hairdresser cuts my hair in such a way that the hair above it mostly covers it so I rarely have people know I wear it unless I tell them and show it to them.  But mine is almost a perfect match in color to my hair so that helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:54:57 pm »
Wish I could say, but I wear my hair short.

Even though it's short, it does cover my processor - and my processor is brown to match my hair so even if my hair didn't cover it, it wouldn't be noticeable to others.

You'll find that very few people actually look at the back of your head - especially behind your ear (where most processors are located).  And in this age of Bluetooth devices lots of people just assume you have a phone attached to your head.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:03 pm »
My hair is about half an inch long, and silver gray. Younger people ask me frequently about that thing behind my ear. I tell them, "I can't tell you what it is, but I work for Apple." After I watch their face in total suprise, I tell them what it is. A doctor overheard me in an airport explaining what it is, and she approached me later on. She is SSD and had never heard of a BAHA, but she was going to check it out when she got home. I am 63, and kids my age were told to "never stare, mind your own business, and don't ask questions," so most people my age never  ask...just bad manners.

The younger kids are just interested...it is electronic...their whole world is electronic. Kids my age (I still am a kid) are interested because they think it is a new type of hearing aid, and their hearing is going south. My BAHA brings me lots of GOOD attention, and I love it. I take it off, show them the abutment, explain the process...lots of fun. The Cochlear BAHA comes with a plastic rod that attaches to the processor. It can be held against someones forehead, plug their ears, and they can hear what you hear. How much fun can you have? I love my BAHA and Im proud to show it off!

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:10:01 pm »
A doctor overheard me in an airport explaining what it is, and she approached me later on. She is SSD and had never heard of a BAHA, but she was going to check it out when she got home.

I'm still amazed by how many doctors I run across who have no clue what a BAHA is; from my kids' pediatrician to my own ENT (which totally shocked me). 

Good for you for educating people; I do it myself when I run across the opportunity.

I love my BAHA, too!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:32:24 pm »
Liz,
My hair is long now, and the hair over my processor does not cause additional noise or interference.  However, I would be comfortable with shorter hair, perhaps cut in layers so that most of the device would be covered. Mine also blends with my hair color, so I don't think it is that noticeable.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

PamJ

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 03:48:55 am »
I also have a Ponto Pro and get no wind interference with it and like the other ladies have said if I touch one of the microphones I do get feedback but other than that it's brilliant.  My hair is cut into layers and my hairdresser overs it very well but the way I look at it is it's a wonderful invention and if people do see mine I'm quite happy to explain it enables me to be back in the 'land of hearing'.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

PamJ

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 04:02:02 am »
Jan - I found out about the BAHAs by seeing someone on the television when I went to my family doctor to ask about them she looked at me as if I was talking in Chinese as she had never heard of them.  Luckily I was later referred to the Implant Centre in London where it was all explained to me.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 07:54:02 am »
My hair is short so my BAHA is out there for all to see.  I don't think people see it until I turn my head, even though it kind of looks like a bluetooth device, or so I'm told.  I do get wind interference though...I am a pretty fast walker and if there's even just a little breeze out, then I hear it blowing acrosss.  If it bothers me, I turn it off! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

nicole927

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:05:54 pm »
I tell them, "I can't tell you what it is, but I work for Apple."

That is genius. I'm definitely going to remember that for if/when I get a BAHA ;D
Diagnosed on April 20, 2012 at age 23 with a 3mm acoustic neuroma in the left internal auditory canal

LizAN

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 07:29:16 pm »
Wow, I had not been on here in awhile and had no idea how many more responses there were to my post!  Thanks everyone!

I have been in the process of evaluating BAHAs on soft bands and will post separately about that.

Thanks again for your help!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz