Author Topic: treatment in the UK  (Read 12093 times)

Alison

Re: treatment in the UK
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 04:18:29 am »
Hi, Alison here reporting from the other side post treatment. I had SRS on Thursday 27th DEC. I feel pretty whacked. Spent yesterday in bed but wanted to get online today to report back!

In this paragraph I'll give a bit more detail for those of you anticipating treatment or wanting to compare notes post radiosurgery. If youre squeamish look away now x.
I found the fitting of the headframe OK. The docs said I was taking it remarkably well as a lot of people faint or turn the air blue! I have had lignocain type injections before so knew they could sting but these weren't too bad, just sounded oddly crunchy? The screwing in of the frame was noisy but tolerable. It seemed the oncology doc was doing her first headrame fit under guidance of the neurosurgeon from their conversation. My frame was lopsided but they said it was Ok ( I hope!). Then the CT scan where they added a huge perpex bowl to the frame and pushed a stick through different points to take measurements. This felt very heavy and my neck felt it had the strength of spaghetti at that point. Then an 8 hour wait for treatment. The wait is because the linac machine is used for other patients during the day and the machine is adapted for the SRS brain zap as last treatment of the day. By the time of the treatment I was a bit tired and emotional as the injections were wearing off and the pin sites starting to hurt. The actual zap was very quick about ten mins followed by two further bursts of a few mins. I kept my eyes shut through it all. The worst part of the whole day was taking off the frame. It was painful and felt like a spike was being pulled through your head four times. I was shaking afterwards. Then I was wheeled back to the ward to be observed. About an hour after this I felt blood pouring into my eye and realised the pinsites were all bleeding. (they still are on and off, especially the front ones so I have replaced the plasters on these, the back have no plasters because of my hair). My blood pressure kept falling and my pupil size was a bit uneven but the on call doc seemed satisfied and I was released at 9.30pm. The nurses were all great and the attention with cups of tea etc and cleaning of the ward made the NHS shine. (Please may it continue to be allowed to do so).

So apart from the odd hearing thing when I put my finger in my good ear, and listened to what my hearing was like in my AN ear, the music I was listening to sounded warped, George Harrison sounded like he was playing under water, (maybe in a Yellow sumarine, lovely George). Mild headache otherwise and sore pinsites, so taking paracetamol if I have to. Bit concerned about when I may be able to wash my hair, which is an interesting shade of blue at the back from the running ink from the pen used to mark the pin sites before fitting the frame. Be good to to wash my hair but don't want to aggravate the sites. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Feeling weak, I'm now hoping nothing dramatic will occur. I have been warned if sudden hearing loss or palsy happen I must contact the hospital within 12 hours.

Wishing you all a happy and peaceful New Year

Alisonx
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

PamJ

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 05:03:08 am »
Hi Alison you are one brave lady don't think I could have gone through all that awake, as you know I had the translab and when I woke up it was all over.  Well done you should be proud of yourself.  Pam x
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Alison

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 06:58:59 am »
Thanks Pam,

actually I think surgery is braver! How is your Eye?

Alisonx
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

PamJ

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 09:24:00 am »
12 days to go before I see surgeon I can't wait just hope it's not cancelled again.  When do you go back for your checkup. Are you feeling ok

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »
Hello, Alison ~

Thanks for your comprehensive, informative account of your radiation experience.  It's obvious that you are an intrepid lady and handled the experience as well as anyone could.

I pray that you'll not encounter any further problems and will enjoy a rapid recovery. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Alison

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 03:12:32 am »
Thanks Jim,

I hope the description isn't too off putting! But I hope it is helpful to people anticipating treatment to get a clear picture as to what's involved. Especially to new UK patients who want a timeline, so to speak as an example of the the process from diagnosis to treatment in Blighty. (which is why I have kept updating this thread and will continue to do so).

If I'd have had a choice I'd have gone for cyberknife to avoid the headframe!

Pam,I hope your eye op goes OK. Do let us know how you  get on. I get a follow up apt some time in the post for about 7 weeks time. I feel extremely weak , legs like jelly and all the other symptoms much as they were, except the new odd hearing sensation and the sore pin sites of course!

Alisonx

PamJ

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 02:22:32 pm »
Hi Alison how are you getting on haven't seen you on here for awhile?