Author Topic: occipital nerve blocker next week  (Read 3685 times)

JW123

occipital nerve blocker next week
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:41:43 am »
So next week I am going in, and if all goes as planned, get an occipital nerve blocking shot. I've tried every medication thrown at me with no prevail. Well thats kinda a lie, valium does works for the headaches that wake me in the night.... at least the first half of the night haha.  From everything I have read and been told my symptoms do line up with possible occipital nerve damage and since I'm not responding positively to any medications I'm being optimistic it will work.

I feel it could be kind of bitter sweet. I do really hope that this is the problem and the shot magically cures the headaches. The "sweet" part of bitter sweet would be two fold. Most importantly, no more headaches until the shot wears off. Next, just the knowledge that there is a solution out there for this daily struggle. So the "bitter" part, it would mean either lots of temporary, and what I am told are painful, shots, or another surgery. After my first and only surgery, I strongly do not want another one. But to know the headaches would be gone, I know it
would be worth it. I know I am putting the cart before the horse with surgery talk, but it's just what's on my mind.

So to the questions...
Anyone reading this have any experience with occipital nerve blocking shots?
Are they really that painful like I've been told?
Did you get the kind ok relief you were expecting?
And justanything else you wanna comment to me....
Left side VS - 2.0 x 2.7
Retrosigmoid on Oct 17th 2011
Surgery at Mayo Clinic with Dr. Link & Dr. Driscoll
SSD left side, delayed temporary facial weakness, ongoing severe headaches.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: occipital nerve blocker next week
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:19:40 pm »
Sorry to hear your headaches are so bad; hope the nerve blocker works for you.

You might want to check out Captain Deb's posts - you can use the search box at the top right side of your screen to find them - about headaches.  She's one who has tried multiple solutions and you might find her posts helpful.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Re: occipital nerve blocker next week
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:17:16 pm »
I have had blocks and 2 occipital surgeries. My headaches were so severe that the blocks and surgeries were nothing compared to the daily electrical type pain and headaches.   

For me the blocks were not painful at all. (Easier than dental numbing.) The blocks did not cure anything but it was nice while it lasted. Since the block gave me relief, it showed that it was my occipital nerve that was causing the pain. Blocks are diagnostic.

Occipital surgery is done outpatient and is superficial. I was desperate and surgery was the right decision for me. It was a quick easy recovery. My occipital nerve was shown to be damaged and an artery was piercing through it. It was on the opposite side of my AN surgery and was probably caused by the head clamp used to stabilize the head during the AN surgery, squeezing the nerve and artery together, when tightened.

Best of luck. Hope you get some relief soon.
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.