Author Topic: New research breakthrough  (Read 2811 times)

Esperanza

New research breakthrough
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New research breakthrough
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »
I don't mean to be discouraging and perhaps I'm misinformed but I understood that in AN patients, the 'mechanics' of the ear are fine (mine are, anyway) but the acoustic (8th cranial) nerve that transmits sound (that enters the ear) to the brain is damaged and so, we are unable to hear in that ear.  This breakthrough, which, the article states is a long way from helping humans who are deaf from inner ear damage, seems to hold out hope for possible inner ear damage repair but does not affect the acoustic nerve, which is where the problem lies for AN patients.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

producer

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:24:46 am »
Hi Jim,  the article actually states that thats exactly what they were able to re-build! The hearing nerve.

"..Hearing partially improved when nerves in the ear, which pass sounds into the brain, were rebuilt in gerbils.."

Theyre in fact stating that its harder to rebuild hair-cells but its definitely the acoustic nerve that they succeeded in regenerating which is absolutely amazing news.

"..While there is excitement at the prospect of using stem cells to restore nerves in the ear this exact technique will not help the vast, vast majority of people with hearing loss.."

Auditory nerve regenaration has been an ongoing goal for various research groups including the esteemed University of Melbourne

http://www.medoto.unimelb.edu.au/research/hearing_preservation/stem_cells_and_regeneration

I personally feel confident in sayin its not a matter of if  but a matter of when they'll achieve this although ofocurse its still many years away id imagine.  .

many thanks for posting Esperanza...

chris
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:30:12 am by producer »
Mosaic NF2  diagnosed march 2011.

9mm x 6mm x 6mm left VS

Cyberknife 3 day treatment completed May 2nd.

producer

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:28:15 am »
Heres a report on this

chris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19580117
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:31:12 am by producer »
Mosaic NF2  diagnosed march 2011.

9mm x 6mm x 6mm left VS

Cyberknife 3 day treatment completed May 2nd.