Author Topic: Memory Loss Issues - Post-Treatment  (Read 9193 times)

Rich D

Memory Loss Issues - Post-Treatment
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:52:15 am »
Hi everyone;

I had a 1.2 cm AN removed surgically in Feb 1995.  Yes, 1995.   I lost my hearing in my left ear and my balance nerve on the same side.  Immediately after surgery, I noticed that my short term memory was not the same.  I had to take detailed notes at meetings to remember the details clearly.   Now, at 64 years old, I am questioning my perceived increased decline in short term memory loss.  Example:   I fully engage in a conversation with my wife about an upcoming family event on a Tuesday evening, but by Wednesday or Thursday, I don't remember it at all, until she reminds me of some of the details in our discussion.  Then, I remember the details.   I have recently gone to see a Neuro-psych doctor to see if my perceived change is the result of aging, the beginning of dementia, or just the same old AN post treatment effect.  Does anyone else have a similar experience? :D

Kaybo

Re: Memory Loss Issues - Post-Treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:26:06 pm »
I also had surgery in '95 (when I was just 25) and I have many short term memory issues...I certainly get by but know that I have deficiencies.  I had three children right after I had surgery (I had a stroke too) so I was just trying to get thru every day, but now as my kids are older, & also dealing with a big move and ALL new information for their schools, activities, church, etc....I realize I really have some issues!!   :o  I can pinpoint them back to my surgery time and I was so young that aging certainly wasn't an issue then (maybe now!!)...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 01:46:03 pm »
Gee guys,

I thought I was exceptional! In forgetting I mean!

I learned how to cope, Since my Kessler Hospitalization (in 2005) have been carrying a calender around with me to force me to write down important dates. I used to mind constantly referring to it. Now I have made it into a habit. once it becomes a habit it's not so bothersome anymore.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:06:53 pm »
I`m turning 64 this month. I`m Waiting and Watching for over 5 years now. I can tell you I`m doing fine but will include that my memory is not as sharp as it was years ago. I`ve Inquired and have come to the conclusion no matter what you do everybody will have to face aging and the affects it has on all functions. Lets hope we can age as gracefully as possible. Best wishes, Mickey P.S. Kaybo, I`ve read your posts for a long time now. I`m facinated how smart and articulate you are. Thankyou! Your very inspirational...

Rich D

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »
Hi again,

I have now gone thru some formal neuropsych and standard testing to determine the extend of my memory deficiencies.  The determination by this individual is that there are 'minor cognitive deficiences'.   My problem is that the doctor did NOT do any independent research into ANs prior to our followup meeting.   I did some research and found an old article in my May 1995 ANA Notes that spoke in detail about ANs and memory loss.  If any of you want me to send the article to you, which I have scanned into digital, just contact me at      richard.dambrosio@comcast.net.      I will reply as soon as I can.   I don't check this blog often enough to be timely, so send to the e-mail address.   I am just letting everyone know that normal memory loss thru aging builds on the trama created by treatments that we incur dealing with ANs.    For the record, I was big on taking notes and use of Palm pilots following my surgery.   Back in 1995 and early 2000's we did not have 'smart phones, which can now act as your PDA.  I had to use 'crutches' or aids like this to stay competitive, professional and to keep up with the onslaught of personal and professional life.   I have done well in this regard using the electronic aids.   My next appointments are with a social worker and a neurologist next month.  It seems that I am a pioneer in this area of AN and Memory Loss, but I am sure I am not.  That's why I decided to join this forum.   Please let me know what is going on in your life in this regard.
Thanks.

AZ JB

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:27:10 am »
Hi Rich,

My husband Bob is approaching 7 wks post CK & has been doing great!  He has more tinnitus, & gets tired more quickly, but nothing out of the ordinary.  He's been putting in pretty full days at his office since the 3rd wk & probably would have been sooner except we went out of state for a funeral.  He's had a little trouble with word recall, & some problems with memory, but again, nothing that had us concerned until 2 nights ago.  We were on our way home in the evening, & were in our neighborhood, when Bob drove past our turn & continued on down the street & past a 4 way stop.  I thought he was going to take me somewhere to prove a point we'd been having a friendly argument about, & had bet each other on, when he looked at me & said, "Jude, I have no idea where I am."  It scared the jeebers out of me!  Not only was he lost, but nothing looked familiar to him.  So, I told him he needed to turn around & go back to the 4 way stop, (which he did), but then he began to turn right instead of left as he needed to....  Once he got back on track, he was fine, but it really scared me, & I just can't get it out of my mind.  I decided to check on this site today & low & behold, here was your post!  I hate to say that misery loves company, but it does help to know you're not alone.  I know radiation can mess a person up for a while, so I'm praying this is the case & Bob won't have any more of these "episodes".  I would like for him to contact Dr. Chang & see what he has to say, but Bob hasn't brought it up since it happened, so I don't want to make a big deal about it, & make him concerned if he isn't.  Has this ever happened to you, or anyone else who might read this?  Besides that, life is good in AZ!

Judy

PamJ

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:42:57 am »
Thank goodness someone has mentioned memory loss, my short term memory is shocking I thought it was only me.,
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 03:20:19 pm »
I had CK the first week of May 2012 and have noticed problems with my short term memory.  Problems with finding the correct words to describe something and this week problems with remembering names of people I see on a weekly basis.  For everyday notes I've started using my smartphone.  It is encouraging to read posts from other people having similar problems.

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »
I definately notice it as well.  I have trouble with retrieving some words.......I wish I had kept a list of them some are comical......like a bowling alley was the lane between two gutters, I tend to describe things.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:40 am »
Many of our memory lapses are due to our brains now diverting many processes to keeping us upright and/or hearing ..... that takes a great deal of mental energy away from memory.

I never was dependent on note-taking before the AN, but I am now!

That being said ..... Judy, I am not a doctor, but the situation you were describing with your husband losing his way home, does not sound like typical AN-related short-term memory loss.  I would certainly mention it to his doctor and monitor any further episodes like that.

Thoughts and prayers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

AZ JB

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:47:18 am »
Well, as much as I'd hoped everyone would jump in & tell me what Bob experienced was common after CK, I kind of knew all along it wasn't, & I appreciate your honest opinions & advice (Clarice).  Things have been going so smoothly for Bob that he hasn't had to be in contact with Dr. Chang at all, but this probably needs to be brought to his attention, (for his overly protective wife's peace of mind if nothing else).  Thank you!

Judy 

New girl

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »
He is lucky to have you Judy.  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons