Author Topic: So much for slow growing....  (Read 6107 times)

Blags

So much for slow growing....
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:45 pm »
I was diagnosed with a 7mm rt an on march 26. Have surgery booked for oct 3 but still wasn't 100% confident in my decision. I asked the surgeon if I could have an MRI done before to see if growth or not and figured that would firm up my decision - well had one yesterday at almost 5 month to day of original scan and unofficial report is it has grown to 14mm. So I guess I am now 100% confident in my decisions to move forward with microsurgery. I know there are degrees of error and differences between technicians and what facility does the scan but I don't think the fact that it has grown can be disputed. Now I wish I did the surgery months ago like my gut told me initially! Hope it hasn't attached to facial or cochlear nerve.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

millie

Re: So much for slow growing....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:16 am »
Hi Blags-
My MRI's were five months apart, and the thing grew about 3mm by 1 mm...and the original size was reported differently by a couple different doctors.So I still wonder about the size-but I think increased symptoms suggest "the thing" up there is doing something sneaky. Just MHO. I am having surgery mid-October.  I have been told it is all right to wait till then. (I have a wedding and my Medicare needs to kick in) My hearing is pretty much gone in my left ear; I'm having balance issues and head fullness and ringing.
I look forward to a better life after surgery.  Try to hang in ...Millie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:16:24 pm »
Blags ~

I'm sorry to learn about the noticeable growth of your AN but the positive aspect is that, as you stated, it makes you more confident about your surgery decision, coming up soon (10/3).
Having a positive attitude going into surgery is, in my opinion, crucial to having a good outcome and dealing with any complications that may occur.  I wish you a very successful surgery that will end, not only the growth but the existence of your AN.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:35:13 am »
How are you?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Blags

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »
Tomorrow is 2wks post op. staples come out. Still very dizzy all the time but other than that feel good. No pain. Fullness in ear but assume that will go away with time. Hoping spins stop. I just keep moving as much as I can and do my vestibular exercises. Emotionally I feel so clear and all the stress of the tumor has been lifted off of me. Didn't realize how stressed I was this whole year.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »
Congratulations!  It is wonderful to hear you are doing well.  The vestibular symptoms are what I also experienced but isn't it amazing that there isn't more pain after a major surgery like that?  I stopped pain medication in the hospital and haven't used any since.  I am happy for you that you are tumor free.  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:34 pm »
Blags ~

Great news about your successful surgery!  The stress can really do a job on us but I'm glad you're feeling better, now.  The dizziness should abate as you heal, walk and do your vestibular exercises. That worked for me. 

Thanks for posting.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 06:28:56 pm »
Blags -

I, too, had unexpected growth.  My diagnostic MRI was done mid-April 2007 and my AN was 1.5 cms.  I opted for surgery (had the choice of surgery or GK) approximately 6 weeks later on May 31, 2007 and my docs said my AN was 3 cms.  No explanation for the growth.

I was told that it was lucky I didn't opt for GK because during the procedure they would have found out that my AN was too large (based on my doc's size limit).

Glad your surgery went well. 

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dtorres135

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:52:42 pm »
to Blags:

Any complications post surgery like facial drooping, weakness, scar tissue?  Where did you have your surgery

Blags

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:31:30 pm »
Hi- I had surgery at Weill Cornell in NYC. Slight droop on lip and slow blinking eye.. But all is back to basically normal now. I'm at 8 wks post op. incision has healed beautifully. No neck pain or headaches now. Balance is getting back to normal in regular activity with eyes open. Doing therapy still, eyes closed still wobbly. Getting ready to get back to active life and hit gym (at reduced rate) next week. Couldn't be happier.