Author Topic: Tinnitus sound - please go away  (Read 24466 times)

Tbanis2463

Tinnitus sound - please go away
« on: August 20, 2012, 07:01:58 pm »
Specifically what kind of music or sounds can muffle my "Tea Kettle" sounding tinnitus? I heard white noise helps.  If you have any links please share.

Phillies

Re: Tinnitus sound - please go away
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »
Has anyone tried taking Lipoflavonoids? Apparently it's some over the counter supplement that improves blood circualation in the ear and may help with the ringing?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:04:38 am »
Has anyone tried taking Lipoflavonoids? Apparently it's some over the counter supplement that improves blood circualation in the ear and may help with the ringing?

Phillies:
Been noted here on the forums in the past. No proven medical data to show it works in the control of tinnitus (to my knowledge, there is no proven medical process/data for the control of tinnitus but there have been discussions here over the past years of ways of trying to "deal" with it..... please try a "Search" option from the home forum page as not all the comments/discussions were noted in the "Hearing" forum.)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:53:16 am »

I did for a while they are quite expensive and our tinnitus is not an ear thing but caused by the brain so I stopped thought it was a waste of time...I noticed no change.

Best Wishes
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »
Yeah, I also had heard there is really no hope of curing this.  There are ways of trying to cope with it, through diet or environment changes, but besides that, it's gonna be there, soft or loud.  :(

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

roverlaw03

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 08:57:50 pm »
I take 6 lipoflavionid pills a day, ginko, and curcuim, vitamin e, magenisum, and acupuncture eveyother week and sleep with one special ear plug fused with ginko, my tinnitus has gone from three tons to one, but it might be mind over matter.  I sleep with a fan on and keep a fan going in my office to help.
2011 - 1.4 cm
2012 - FSR

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »
This is a terrible problem with no known cure. Mine bothered me until I just quite worrying about it. I just accept it as one of life's burdens.

skipg

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:12 pm »
The tinnitus is the worst part of this. It has turned a liveable condition into pure hell for me. Tried cranial massage, no help but it did make me want to take a nap. Tried masking devices (high priced hearing aids), again no help. The screaming sometimes become almost unbearable to the point that it is disabling. Cant concentrate or think when it is at its worst. This keeps me on edge a lot of times. I am ready to start tranquilizers just to force my body into a state of submission. The darnedest thing is that when I go for a motorcycle ride the buffeting tends to cancel out or maybe overpower the tinnitus. Last Sunday my wife and I went for a 300mis ride and the noise was canceled out. The problem is I dont think I can sleep with a fan blowing 55 mph wind in my face. I am going to try the homeopathic route before I throw in the towel.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Tbanis2463

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »
Skipg - did you get treatment on your AN and if so when and what type of treatment did you receive?

skipg

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:56:14 pm »
I did extensive research on all my options and consulted with an AN surgeon, local EVMS(Eastern Virginia Medical School) director of Neurotology who also operates, and a Cyber Knife doc who trained at Stanford and uses their protocol. A year ago they all agreed that watch and wait was an acceptable course of action due to the size and location of my tumor. If needed I had decided to go with CK. Now that I have experienced a large growth spurt, action is advised by the Neurotologist. He agreed with that GK or CK was an acceptable option even though he operates. I had been researching Proton Therapy but he knew little about this and was not able to give a recommendation.  Anyway a long story comes to an end.....I have not had treatment yet but am going to the Proton Center soon. More to come under the Radiation section.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Tbanis2463

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »
Skipg - Let me know how it goes.  I know I'm experiencing similar issues.  Good luck to you.

opp2

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 07:00:39 pm »
I find that if I use an ear plug when I'm doing something loud that is helpful. If I don't then, if I do something like cutting the grass the tinnitus is unbearable for an hour or so after. I had white noise tinnitus for 10 years prior to my diagnosis and it's onset was instantaneous with a loud noise exposure. I have no explaination for it.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

millie

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »
My tinnitus has been present for the last five months.  Very consistent now.  I attribute it to the growth and location of the tumor which fills my auditory canal.  I am having surgery in October but I think I may have to be prepared to live with this earringing for ever.  You are right guys-it's hard to believe.  But we will have to "carry on" for we have no choice.  And it could be worse. (My father's words-he was with the British in WWII)

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:57:54 pm »
I will be seeing an Audiologist who apparently "specializes" in Tinnitus. I hope she can give me either a really good hearing aid, a masker, Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT), or the new Oasis Neuromonics sound therapy ($6000).

Anything to help me cope with this Tinnitus (without making me feel drugged out with Xanax).
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

alabamajane

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 06:38:33 pm »
Be sure and let us know how your visit to audiologist goes. I think I would listen to advise and then go home and research before  sagreeing  to purchase anything.

Have you visited the American Tinnitus Assoc. Site, ata.org, to read the description of tinnitus and hear various sounds? Very informative. As has been stated, tinnitus is not "in the ear" hearing function,, it is a brain perception function,,, as I understand it,, it is the brain trying to make sense of the distorted sound from that side.

If it were a hearing issue which could be "fixed" with hearing aids etc. then those of us who are SSD ( single side deaf) could not possibly have tinnitus on our AN side and many of us do,, myself included... White noise machine by bedside does help sleep.

Good luck to you and please post to let us know what you find out. I would just hate to see you spend too much money on something to "fix" it unless it's " money back" guaranteed...

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26