Author Topic: How many Surgeries qualities the dr as expert?  (Read 4869 times)

Blags

How many Surgeries qualities the dr as expert?
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:56:10 am »
I just saw a dr who I liked personally. He has done about 100 plus AN resections. He is the neuro otolaryngologist . He has done about 25 so far this year. Should I consider him experienced? I am in NYC ( I know there are many other older experienced drs in area to choose from). He is paired up with a very renown neurosurgeon at a great hospital.
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: How many Surgeries qualities the dr as expert?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:48:01 pm »
Blags ~

Calling a doctor 'experienced' (with AN surgery) is a bit subjective because there aren't any hard-and-firm rules to applying the label. The bigger question would be: what are his patient outcomes?  His 'success rate', if you will.  Performing 100+ AN resections would seem to define an experienced AN surgeon but, in my opinion, the condition of those patients today is just as important as his surgery count.  If he is reluctant to allow you access to his former AN patients, I would keep looking.  Liking a doctor personally is important but we can't allow superficial attributes to keep us from asking the hard questions.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
Hi Blags,

I would just like to add that you can do a search of the doctor's name on this forum and find other patients who may have had their surgeries done by him. 

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »
I agree with Jim that it's pretty subjective.

However, I can't say that I fully agree with Jim's thought that "success rate" is a big determining factor.  While I agree that success rate is important, there are people on the Forum who had their surgery done at what is supposed to be the biggest and best place for AN surgery, yet their surgery wasn't nearly as successful as some of us who had our surgery done elsewhere.

A lot of what determines success is based on the size and location of the tumor and unfortunately sometimes just plain old luck.

I also feel that it's very important to like your doctor - in addition to having the utmost faith, trust, and confidence in him/her.

Searching the Forum for your doctor's name is a good idea, but keep in mind that not all AN patients participate in the Forum - and the majority of those who do on a long-term basis tend to be people who have had "issues" that they are trying to research and resolve.

You might want to check out the main page of this website - the physicians/facilities section.  The ANA doesn't endorse docs or facilities, but they do list Centers of Excellence - which means the doc(s)/facilities meet a pretty stringent set of guidelines/rules set down by the ANA.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:47:36 am »
Hi, I am from the NY area and was just wondering what doctor did you see?....There are several here and it is good to get a few opinions along with sending your records to HEI who appear to be the experts in this field and nice to have a phone conversation from them hopefully can help but sometimes too much information can be overwhelming as well. I just wished I had researched a little more before making my decision and hope to be able to help others.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

It is what it is

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 05:21:35 pm »
We are all different as to what is important to us.  I didn't care at any level whether or not the surgeon was able to have a good bedside manner.  All I cared about was how many surgeries he had done and how successful the surgeries were.  I asked about percentages of problems and successes.  I wanted a skilled and gifted surgeon.  Those qualities don't always come with a great personality.  But, I totally respect that a kind, caring surgeon is very important to some people.  There is no right or wrong in any of this.  We all deserve to listen to what is important to us and honor whatever that is. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:57:34 pm »
I agree with you Karen, there is no right or wrong in this, but I just can't fathom a doctor with a horrible bedside manner.

I'm thankful I was lucky enough to find a neurotologist who is gifted, qualified, intelligent, caring, low-key, and doesn't have the personality of a dead fish.  He even stepped up to the plate and became humorous on my behalf when it became obvious to him that humor was something that I live for and something that put me at ease  ;D

It made my AN surgery, recovery, and BAHA implant that much easier.

I also was lucky enough to have a neurosurgeon who isn't at all pompous; something that I figured would be impossible to find.  His calm, cool, confidence assured me that I was in great hands.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways