Author Topic: Hearing Aid while W/W?  (Read 4107 times)

teripo

Hearing Aid while W/W?
« on: August 10, 2012, 06:12:45 am »
I have had AN diagnosis last June 2011 and I am in W/W.My AN is 1.8 cm I am confused if I should purchase aWidex for 3800.I know it will help with my quality of life but what if  idon,t need it more than 2 years and decide to get treatment?It wouldnt pay to spend that much $$ especially since my hearing is 100% and 60%?? This is my first thought of getting an aid ..any input ?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Hearing Aid while W/W?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:56:47 am »
Hi there .....

I retained 20% of my hearing, with 100% speech discrimination, following my first AN surgery.  Because of the good speech discrimination, I benefitted greatly from a Widex Mind hearing aid (actually paid for a MicroTech7 first, which proved less than satisfactory).  Alas, $6,000 out of my pocket (no insurance coverage for two regular hearing aids) was "down the tubes" when my tumor grew back and the second removal rendered me deaf in my AN ear.  Blissfully, my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro bone-anchored hearing device post-second surgery was totally covered by my insurance.

Has your AN grown at all in the past year?  Are you waiting on treatment because you have no symptoms?

Only you can make the decision whether to put out that kind of money.  Much depends upon whether your AN begins to grow, or not.  Sure wish, at times, that we had crystal balls to assist us in decision-making.  Keep in mind that just about everyone experiences high frequency hearing loss as part of the aging process too.

Many prayers for the right decision.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

teripo

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:32:02 am »
Hi Clarice,
 I am happy you responded.I love this site.So good to know you are not alone in this AN world! I have been in W/W status since last year.No growth this year and no symtoms cept for hearing.My hearing as of yesterday is 100% and 60%.I think the Dr. knows a little about AN but not sure.I am not reading about reg hearing aids alot on this site just implants mostly.So I am thinking I went down the road prematurely.The Dr. says he will refund 100% after 60 days of trial,but I am not really having that hard a time that I would purchase something and have to do it again in a couple of years or so.

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »
Oh, no . . . I don't think you've gone down the hearing aid road prematurely at all.  I had my ReSound Dot220 about 6 months before I had CK, and I still use that same aid every day since.  I've had it almost 3 years.

Of course, I didn't know at the time I got the aid that I had the AN, or I might have asked the same questions you're asking.  Trouble is, no one can say whether your hearing will deteriorate quickly, or maybe it won't change at all.  My hearing has changed very, very little in 3 years, even post-CK.  So getting a hearing aid is a gamble.  Factors in making your decision may include how much your insurance pays, whether you can afford an aid that has lots of room for adjustment as your hearing changes, location of your tumor, etc.  My hearing loss ranges from mild to severe, depending on the frequency.  The hearing aid DOES help, but I wish it could do better.  I DO highly recommend the ReSound products, as I'm very active and I haven't managed to destroy this thing yet.  It's been accidentally swimming/showering several times and still works!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

rezski

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:39:33 pm »
I am also in Watch and Wait (since 2005) with no growth.  Today I got my 1st hearing aids, Starkey Wi Receiver-In-Canal.  They are wonderful and comfortable from the get go.  I got them from DVR as I am apparently  a qualified unemployed disabled person now.  I even get extra help in getting a job. The sound quality seems normal to me which was a surprise as I had been told by family members that hearing aids make things sound different. The hearing aid fairy has been good to me!
Caroline
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

teripo

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:12:24 am »
Thanks I am going to shop around when I've had enough.Caroline you're little bugger got smaller? I may have misunderstood the bottom of your post.

rezski

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:22 pm »
I only know what they sent me but it was a Group Health MRI this time vs a Virginia Mason one in the past.  That is probably in the normal range of variation. 
Caroline
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason

sunfish

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
Oooo . . . Caroline!  The Starkey Wi RIC?  Isn't that the one that you can get all the "toys" for? Like TV streamer, and bluetooth things to pair your hearing aids with your cellphone, MP3 player, etc.?  Do you like them so far?  Did you get any "toys" to go with the aid(s)?
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

rezski

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:40:47 pm »
I can hear in group settings so much better now.  I can also hear when someone speaks to me out of my sight so that much less ignoring others is going on.  I always had to have my phone on buzz to not miss calls before.  The audiologist will turn them up to full strength after I get used to them.  I cannot even imagine what that will be like.  No toys yet and they are pricey.  I hear the TV just fine and my car bluetooth can still be used as it sort of lays over my ear canal and hangs by the ear hook.  In my state you can be ticketed for not using a hands free cellphone although there is an exemption for those with hearing aids.  Its too hard and distracting though, for me to answer the smartphone while driving without my bluetooth.  And I would be pulled over before the police figured out I had aids.