Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 11770 times)

PamJ

Tinnitus
« on: August 02, 2012, 01:35:26 pm »
Does anyone else suffer from tinnitus since having acoustic neuroma removed, I had occasional tinnitus prior to my op but it is constant now.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 03:11:17 pm »
Hi, Pam ~

Unfortunately, tinnitus does not usually disappear following AN surgery.  Occasionally, as in your case, it may increase in severity. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

PamJ

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »
Thanks for your reply Jim it just seems strange I am totally deaf on my right side yet that's the side I can clearly hear the tinnitus.

Jim Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »
Thanks for your reply Jim it just seems strange I am totally deaf on my right side yet that's the side I can clearly hear the tinnitus.

Pam ~

Tinnitus is produced by the brain and has nothing to do with hearing.  If it did, simply plugging your ear would quiet the noise. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »
Does anyone else suffer from tinnitus since having acoustic neuroma removed, I had occasional tinnitus prior to my op but it is constant now.

Yes it was weird I did not have it the first 3 months after my surgery and then it started and has not stopped since and has been constant and at times worse still cannot get use to it and it has been 3 years.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

PamJ

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »
Hi I find I can ignore it during the day but in the evening it seems to get worse I wish there was a cure for it.  I was hoping it would eventually disappear.  It really is strange being deaf on the right side but hearing tiinnitus but as Jim explained it is the brain so that makes more sense to me.  Thank you all for your replies.

ataylor

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:19:15 pm »
Bummer! I thought it was just me & if I ignored it long enough it would go away. I too had very little tinnitus pre-op & for the 1st 6 months post op. So it doesn't necessarily mean something is growing back right?
Rt side AN (size never specified on any MRI or post op report despite repeated inquiries). s/p gross total resection of the tumor 1/10/2012 via rt transtemporal retrolabyrinthe & retrosigmoid skull base approach with Dr. Fukushima (Duke Raleigh Hospital)

BlueSky

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:02:11 pm »
The way I understand it is the tinnitus is your brain making up for the tones it is missing. Since it is used to hearing those noises for all of these years when it all of a sudden stops the brain looks for those sounds it can't hear anymore and makes them up.

I had a sudden onset of tinnitus and lost about 30% of the hearing in my AN ear. My doctor quickly put me on steroids and the hearing came back. Once the hearing was back the tinnitus was gone because my brain was once again hearing the tones it was looking for so it didn't have to make up the sounds itself.

sterry

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:21 pm »
I just love that definition of tinnitus! It makes so much sense to me!
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Tbanis2463

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »
on Bluesky comment - steroids actually helped in getting some hearing back therefore reducing tinnitus?  What I would like to know is how this came about?   Did your doctor just prescribe it to you or did tests show that you're a candidate for this?

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 04:59:25 pm »
I just love that definition of tinnitus! It makes so much sense to me!

Tinnitus has its roots in the Latin "tinnire" meaning "to ring."

The same root of the word "tintinnabulation" which Edgar Allen Poe uses so melodically in his poem "The Bells."

To the tintinnabulation that so musically wells
From the bells, bells, bells, bells,
Bells, bells, bells
From the jingling and the tinkling of the bells.

Later on in the poem I think he might be describing the feelings of many a Tinnitus sufferer:

Oh, the bells, bells, bells!
What a tale their terror tells
Of Despair!
How they clang, and clash, and roar!
What a horror they outpour
On the bosom of the palpitating air!
Yet the ear it fully knows,
By the twanging,
And the clanging,
How the danger ebbs and flows:
Yet the ear distinctly tells,
In the jangling,
And the wrangling,
How the danger sinks and swells,
By the sinking or the swelling in the anger of the bells
Of the bells
Of the bells, bells, bells,bells,
Bells, bells, bells
In the clamor and the clangor of the bells!

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

MichaelCures

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 07:44:56 pm »
Hi I am new here and I joined this group to learn more. About your subject, Tinnitus, can I ask what causes this ailment.

I am happy to hear your thoughts on this.  :)

Jim Scott

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 01:12:33 pm »
Hello and welcome, Michael ~

I'm not an expert (nor a doctor) but the shorthand explanation is that the noise -'tinnitus' - originates in your brain, not your ears, although some cochlea damage is often present in tinnitus sufferers.  Not all acoustic neuroma patients experience tinnitus but the majority do.  However, the level of intensity varies from person to person.  I have tinnitus but it is relatively mild and does not negatively impact my life.  Others suffer with very 'loud' and disturbing tinnitus.  The level of intensity often varies according to your state of rest, physical activity, etc. 

Unfortunately, to date, there is no known, scientifically-proven 'cure' for tinnitus - although homeopathic remedies abound.  Some actually work but usually in a very random fashion.  Homeopathic remedies for tinnitus are not FDA approved and so I would caution anyone intending to try them not to set your expectations too high.  However, if anyone ever does discover a scientifically-proven remedy for all levels of tinnitus, they'll be an instant millionaire.

Jim

MWL

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 11:32:48 pm »
My tinnitus varies from day to day, hour to hour but I am only 7 weeks post surgery.  Just curious--can anyone tell me if their tinnitus "got better" once they had a BAHA or other implant/device?  I am assuming if it does it would be because the regular sound distracts you from the tinnitus but just wondering. 

Meg

PamJ

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:46 am »
Hi Meg I've had my BAHA four weeks now and still have constant tinnitus but because I can hear more now I hardly notice it until I take my BAHA off before bed.for a  I've just had my BAHA fined after wearing it for a month and am really happy with it.