Author Topic: Cruising - better pre- or post surgery?  (Read 4746 times)

Amanda616

Cruising - better pre- or post surgery?
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:20:40 am »
Hello! My Fiance was recently diagnosed with a 1.7cm AN. We are doing our homework now regarding getting second opinions and he will most likely be having surgery in early 2013.

We are getting married October 27th and are leaving on a 14 day Mediterranean cruise out of Europe in the beginning of November for our Honeymoon. I have seen a few posts on here about balance issues while cruising and I'm wondering if we should still go on our honeymoon as planned or try to postpone for a year once he has recovered from surgery?

He is having mild balance issues now but overall is okay. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Cruising - better pre- or post surgery?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:35 pm »
Hi, Amanda ~

Congratulations on your impending nuptials! 

Maintaining normal balance aboard a seagoing vessel can be problematic for some AN patients (pre and post surgery) - but not always.  I might suggest that your finance try to take a very short boat trip, e.g. a ferry, to get some idea of how his balance is affected on a seagoing vessel.  Keep in mind that cruise ships today are really huge, 'floating hotels' and he would have little sense of being on the water, although a storm could occur which might be a problem in terms of his balance.  My guess is that the cruise wouldn't be a problem unless your finance has rather severe balance issues, now.  As mentioned, a brief foray on a relatively small boat might answer the question because if he doesn't have a problem with balance (or the problem is manageable) than being aboard a large cruise ship wouldn't be an issue for him in terms of maintaining his equilibrium.

Jim       
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

It is what it is

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:25:00 am »
I don't have advice to offer but I did want to join in congratulating both of you, as well as welcome you to the list!!!!!  :)

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »
I have not been on a cruise ship since my surgery, but I own a Boston Whaler fishing boat. I am wonky 24/7 since my surgery 30 months ago, but I am not wonky on my boat. Go figure. Your doc can give him some tablets to deal with his wonkyness while you are on your trip...they really work!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:46:27 am »
I took a cruise with the family just before radiation treatment in 2004. I was mildly wonky at the time. It was fine....only time i had any problem was just as the ship was leaving port and the horizon is sliding sideways and even that was just mild. Danced up a storm and had a blast otherwise...even took a full throttle jet-ski excursion. Go have fun!.... and congrats!
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

MaryEBS

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:44:43 pm »
Amanda -

I had CK 3 months ago not surgery... but just got off a caribbean cruise last Sunday.  I no more or less issue being on a ship than I did on land.  Don't worry... go on your honeymoon and enjoy every minute.

Mary