Author Topic: Had my 6 month MRI today  (Read 4366 times)

MaryCPereira

Had my 6 month MRI today
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:31:45 pm »
It hasn't grown! That's the good news. He said I can go to physical therapy for my balance issues, or I can just stay healthy and work out. I choose that. I'm not a physical therapy fan.
He also said that the whole dyslexia thing can't be connected. BUT! I finally stood up for myself and said that if it isn't connected, thats fine, but obviously SOMETHING is wrong because I lost my job over it, and I have never had these problems in the almost 28 years of my life. He actually agreed with that, and suggested I go to a neurologist. So, I'll be doing that in the next couple of months.

And, he actually finally gave me that the ear pain is AN related. This was my 3rd appt with him, and I spoke with him once on the phone about it, AND I spoke with a nurse there about it. They ALL said it isn't related...FINALLY today when I brought up how some of you experience similar pain, and that it is NOT muscular, but deep inside my ear, he said that ANs have been known to cause inner ear pain. uhhh,  ya think?!

I was/am frustrated that I wasn't just told this the first time I brought it up. Why tell me over and over again it isn't connected, when he clearly knew it could be?!
I have decided to bring my scans to another doctor for a second opinion. He only looked at mine for about 15 seconds anyway...And I'm not saying I think that it's grown, because I doubt it has...I believe that. But, I figure more eyes on it can't hurt at this point. So, why not? My PCP said she'd refer me to someone else for a second opinion if I wanted one, so I'm going to take her up on that.

Hope you're all doing well!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Had my 6 month MRI today
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »
Mary ~

Thanks for that interesting update and the good news!

Doctors can be stubborn and hate to admit they were wrong about anything (the 'God Complex') but I'm glad you pushed this doctor and he capitulated on your 'dyslexia situation'.   I hope the neurologist can help you.  Getting a second doctors opinion is always a good idea, too.  Who knows what a more careful examination of your scan may reveal to a knowledgeable doctor who understands what he's looking at?  Stay in touch with us here as you learn more.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:46 pm »
YEAH!!  ;D
You go girl!! Way to push through and "argue" your point about something you know is right with a Dr!! Amazing that some of them are just so stubborn about being right all the time.. I hope a neurologist can help you with the dyslexia thing too...

I am sure you will gain more perspective with another opinion also.. always good to have more than one person's eyes on these things... hope you can get that soon.
Hang in there,, glad it had not grown either,, just pay close attention to your symptoms and any changes or new ones as this can be an indicator of need for more concern/action.. Good luck and thanks for such an "uplifting" post,,, Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

BlueSky

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 03:17:29 pm »
If I were you I'd be looking for a new doctor. If your actually arguing about your condition I think it's time to move on to greener pastures. As Jim mentioned some of them have a God complex, but not all of them. You should fine one that falls into the second category. Maybe you could post in the physicians forums and get some doctor recommendations there.

millie

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 07:08:39 pm »
Mary-sometimes I have ear pain too.  I think it is logical to connect that to an AN that is squeezing things around in the auditory canal.  Now,  I did not have ear pain or headaches last year, but my AN was smaller then. We need compassionate smart doctors, but until the symptoms intensify,
maybe doctors are not as sympathetic as we would hope.
Stay strong.
Millie

chance1212

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:17 pm »
Good news! Hoping to hear "no growth" on August(even though it grew a lot last time). I too have strange pains in my ear area and have gotten similar reactions. On the one hand the doctors say no two ANs are alike and then it's "no that's not connected"!
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt