Author Topic: Doctors in Canadian prairies?  (Read 4108 times)

HisFireFly

• Flickers of a Faithful FireFly
Doctors in Canadian prairies?
« on: July 07, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »
Greetings!

I'm in rural Manitoba and have been referred by an ENT to a Dr. Nael M. Shoman in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan after MRI showed a large acoustic neuroma (actually ENT said he's seen more than 100 and never one this large)

Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Shoman or other doctors in Canada?

The Canadian Association website is non-operational -- so I turn to you for help.

Thanks
Learning more each day about leaning into His everlasting arms.

mk

Re: Doctors in Canadian prairies?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:45:06 pm »
Hi and welcome.

There are quite a few Canadians here. As far as I know, there is a Gamma Knife Centre in Winnipeg, but this is probably not an option for you if your AN is large. Did they say how large it is? Other than that, I don't think there is much expertise in the prairies. I haven't heard of anyone who had treatment there. Expertise is key, and you need to get access to an experienced team. This means that you probably have to travel. The most well known centres in the East are in Toronto (University Health Network including Toronto General and Toronto Western (Drs. Rutka/Tymianski, Cusimano, as well as Sunnybrook (Drs. Chen/Pirouzmand), Ottawa, Montreal. There is also Dr. Akagami at Vancouver General, there are quite a few of us (me included) who had surgery with him and had excellent outcomes.
Make sure to research your options and ask for referrals, so that you can choose the team that you feel more comfortable with. Travel can be very inconvenient, but unfortunately may be necessary to find an experienced team.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

HisFireFly

• Flickers of a Faithful FireFly
Re: Doctors in Canadian prairies?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:36:01 am »
It turns out that my AN is 1.8 - 1.9 cm - smaller than my ENT would have led me to believe - but certainly big enough!

I met Monday with Dr. Naels Shoman - skull based surgery and he is setting up an appointment for me to meet with Dr. Michael Kelly the neurosurgeon who will be the other half of the team.  This means anther trip to Saskatoon, actually the first of many, many trips in the days ahead.

I was very comfortable with Dr. Shoman and though a trans-lab procedure is likely in the near future, I feel calmer than before our meeting.
Learning more each day about leaning into His everlasting arms.