Author Topic: Just Diagnosed and want to know how flying after surgery is  (Read 9263 times)

miller

I was just diagnosed three weeks ago with 3 cm tumor.  I live in the DC area, and I have an appointment at Hopkins with Dr. Olivi.  I haven't really been able to find anything out about him.  Has anyone used him?  I have sent my scans to House because it seems like so many people on here have been to them, but it is quite a long flight.  Do you feel well enough after surgery for that length of flight?  Any insight would be great. 

Cheryl
6/1/12 Diagnosed AN 3cm x3.1cmx3.2cm
Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus
Translab HEI 7/12/12 Wilkinson Schwartz
SSD, No facial paralysis, Tinnitus

It is what it is

Re: Just Diagnosed and want to know how flying after surgery is
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:26 am »
Hi Cheryl. 

Welcome to the list.  I am new as well and have received very valuable information from those on this list.  I plan to fly to and from HEI for surgery scheduled 8/1/12.  Many others have flown as well and their input will be helpful to hear.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

lrobie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Cheryl.  I cannot answer your question until after July 28th when I fly back from L.A.  We will be flying into Cleveland.  I'll be watching for answers on your question, though, as I didn't ask this question myself.  I just know that people have done it before me.

Lisa
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:31:15 am by lrobie »
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:35:42 pm »
Hi Cheryl and welcome to this forum .....

I live in the Eastern part of the US and flew to House in May, 2011 for my AN surgery.  Best decision I ever made!  In fact, my husband and I had to fly from our small airport to Dulles, change planes and fly direct to LAX and the reverse on the return trip.  We flew United and upgraded to the economy plus class for the return flight, which was wonderful for more leg room.  We flew home 13 days post-op with no problems whatsoever, except for weather delays which were unavoidable.  I had no issues at all except for fatigue from the delays.

In my mind, it was far better to have the most experienced surgeons I could find, specifically in AN removal.  Not everyone feels that way, nor is it possible for everyone to fly to California.  But for me, it was the best choice.

The decision on treatment choice is strictly a personal decision to be made by you, the patient.  No one should sway you to something you do not feel is the right choice for you.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:38:15 pm »
No problems flying back from LA after surgery and I've never heard of anyone (at least not here on the forum) who had any difficulties flying post op.  You are thoroughly checked out by the docs before you are cleared to leave.  I can say that I was actually amazed at how well I did feel by the time I left out there.  Two or three days post-op, did not feel up to brushing my teeth, much less flying.  But, 10/11 days post op, completely different story! 

Wish you the best as you make your treatment decision - let us know if you have other questions or concerns,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

miller

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:40:04 pm »
Thank you so much for the information.    After my appointment tomorrow, I am going to make the decision and get things going.

Cheryl

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »
I agree with Cindy and Clarice. I flew home to New Jersey ten days after my surgery at House in Los Angeles and did just fine. My husband and I upgraded to first class for the return flight and it was worth it -- quieter, more comfortable, and the first class security line at LAX took about two seconds to navigate! There are great surgeons throughout the U.S., but if you would like to go to House, please don't let "fear of flying" prevent you from doing so. It was truly the best medical decision I could have ever made.

Best wishes,

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

miller

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 07:02:07 am »
Clarice,

I noticed that you have gone to both House and Dr. Fukshima.  Those are the two that are being recommended to me.  Dr Fukshima is out of the country until August 8.  I liked what I heard from house.  Any advice?

Cheryl

miller

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 07:33:31 am »
Thank you everyone for your help.  I have decided to go with the House Clinic, and my surgery is scheduled for July 12.  Lisa, I guess I will be seeing you out there!!  It is only 10 days out, and the nerves are setting in!!

Cheryl

It is what it is

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 07:40:53 am »
Congratulations on making your decision and already scheduling your surgery!  I'll be there on the 29th if you happen to still be around?  My thoughts and prayers will be with you.  Please keep us updated on your process.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

miller

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:39 am »
Karen,

I thought I should move pretty fast since my tumor is already 3cm! :o

Cheryl

It is what it is

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:41 am »
Yes, that makes sense.  Thanks for sharing about the size.  I think I missed that part.  What symptoms are you experiencing now?  Do you have support?  Obviously you don't need to answer any questions but I do care.  Being on an AN journey together brings a feeling of quick connection.  :)

Karen

lrobie

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 08:47:52 am »
Cheryl,

I'm glad that you've made your decision to go to House.  I'm not sure if we will cross paths or not.  I have pre-op appointments on July 16th & 17th.  I'm not staying at Seton.  I wish you luck.  It's good that it's coming up quick.  You will have less time to worry.   :)  Mine has been scheduled for a couple of months now.

I also wanted to add that the number one question people ask me is how is it possible that I can fly so soon after surgery.  I wonder if they think the pressure will hurt my ear.   ???

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 09:34:48 am »
I also wanted to add that the number one question people ask me is how is it possible that I can fly so soon after surgery.  I wonder if they think the pressure will hurt my ear.   ???

I think this is a common mis-conception -- I'll be the first to say that it does seem logical -- and it's unfortunate that quite a few people don't consider flying for treatment because they fear they'll have issues on the return flight home.

If you usually chew gum or drink fluids during take-offs and landings to ease any sort of pressure build-up, that can certainly be done post-surgery; that's what I did. My only other suggestion is to upgrade to business or first-class (if you usually fly coach class) for your post-surgical flight to return home. You'll be fine!!!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

miller

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 01:18:01 pm »
Lisa,

I am sure I will still be there.  Maybe we can meet up.  I will be staying at Seton

Cheryl