Author Topic: Still experiencing balance problems eight years out of surgery  (Read 5934 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
One learns to adapt to walking with a cane, after all this time!

Still I get frustrated when people walk faster than me! Makes me feel 84, when I am only 54!

Still, I fall off balance when I turn my head too swiftly, makes me think of Weebles (Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Mike

Ps. It's my first time to the balance forum!
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Still experiencing balance problems eight years out of surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:57:34 am »
Hi Mike

I have been walking with a cane for years (since my early 40's) due to non-AN related issues.  I have multiple canes.... the "old lady metal" cane..... my 1-inch solid wood "walking stick" (as me bloke would call it) that he decordated with small shields from the UK.  I tell everyone my cane is a "fashion statement."  I've learned over time that when my balance issues kick up, I thank goodness I have my cane for support so I don't fall and break a hip.  Many on this forum have met me at support groups, brunches, casual meets and at multiple ANA symposiums.  Do they look at my cane funny?  Nope.

People learn to adapt to the "new you" and you will learn to "embrace" the new you.  You can either let the looks, the stares, the comments get to you..... or.... you can embrace it.... smile at it.... and know that thank goodness you have it for support when you need it.... because dealing with balance issues without its support can be quite hazardous to your physical (and possibly emotional) well-being.

Embrace that cane.  Heck, folks hold doors, gets us to the front of the line and through security at airports quicker as well :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MDemisay

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:54:01 am »
Phylis,

I can appreciate your comments here, really I can.

In that I have fallen many, many times and have actually broken fingers on my right hand multiple times ( this is because I thought I was clumsy 1998- 2003) and broken my right arm not one but twice (2004 and 2011)! So I know the dangers of walking without a cane.

In fact the 2004 break preceeded my diagnosis of an AN! My latest break was because I wasn't watching where I was going on a vacation in Ireland. Both injuries had to do with poor balance however!

Keep on truckin with a cane! I have long since gotten used to people's stares! I stare back!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:25:57 pm »
Keep on truckin with a cane! I have long since gotten used to people's stares! I stare back!

I just smile and wink at them. It  throws THEM off! :)
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nftwoed

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »
Hi Mike;

Not sure if you noticed, but you might recall opening doors for plenty of young women. I noticed as soon as I bought my first cane that many would either wait for me to enter a bldg. first, or open the door for me! Made me feel a little old but I came to realize I am getting older.
  I've fallen several times also and notice I really need to stay away from water.
  Seems there's just no predictability to a person's balance post AN. You could have other issues like a vestibular weakness of your good side, or possibly some peripheral neuropathy of your feet. It needn't be severe and one doesn't have to have diabetes to have it.
  One thing about walking slower is one notices more of the world around them. I often just stop and look around at the birds, trees, lake, rivers, flowers, etc.
  An adjustable hiking pole is nice.
  Do take care, Mike. I suppose one could ask about further balance testing at a vestibular disorders clinic.

MDemisay

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:14:44 am »
Hi, NFTWOED,

I have not been here in a long while, but in 2005 while slowly recovering from my AN surgery in 2004 I had a short stay in Kessler Rehabilitation in New Jersey for a period of 3 weeks. There I received  therapy in the Vestibular Balance machine which had me in a harness with a movable foot plate that I rested both of my feet on as I trained there. Balance training is helpful particularly when one of your balance nerves has been cut.

I am happy to have had the Gamma Knife procedure done, I just celebrated my 3 weeks marker! I would rather celebrate something more official as in 1 year, 5 years and the usual but I guess I'll have to wait as time passes!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:13:10 am »
Speaking of canes, is Mary (BK AZ) still selling her custom canes on eBay?

I recall they were beautiful and very unique.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways