Author Topic: Tongue and taste problems and AN swelling after GK  (Read 14014 times)

Dee-dee

Tongue and taste problems and AN swelling after GK
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:17:31 am »
Is anyone experiencing tingling of the tongue and a sour or bitter taste in the mouth  post gamma knife?  I am almost a year out after gamma knife and keep getting new symptoms.  Like everyone else here am freaked out over every new symptom.  Also, I 'd like to hear from folks whose AN has swelled up after GK.  How much did it swell and when, if ever, did the swelling go down? Thanks.
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

mk

Re: Tongue and taste problems and AN swelling after GK
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »
Hi, the symptoms you are reporting sound like trigeminal-nerve related. While not extremely common, they are not unusual either. There might be some slight damage to the trigeminal nerve from the radiation, or the AN has swelled and is touching the nerve. Have you had your follow-up MRI post-GK? What does it show?
The swelling and timing of it are variable. It may happen from 3 months up to 24 months post radiation. The amount of swelling is also variable. The best way to know is by having an MRI and having your doctor compare it with the previous scans (preferrably the same doctor who interpreted your previous MRIs).

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Dee-dee

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:49 pm »
Yes, I had an MRI midway and it showed swelling and more pressure on the brain stem. At the time I did not have the tongue problem. I am waiting for another  follow up MRI in the fall. Thank you for responding.
2.3 cm AN.   Hearing loss and other symptoms. Gamma knife 2011.

OTO

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:36:08 pm »
I had taste and tongue problems for at least 6 mos after middle fossa surgery.   Eventually it went away.  I can't remember exactly how long it lasted.   First a metallic taste.  Then a salty spot on the side of my mouth.   Then for awhile my tongue felt like it was burnt.

tx-anp

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:39:20 pm »
I had taste issues for about 6 weeks.  Then everything just went back to normal.  Very strange.
2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD

madison

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »
Hello.I had gk in 2008 but I didn't have any taste issues. I went through periods where the an was swelling and subsiding. This made me feel increased pressure or fullness and it seem to be affected by the weather.  I eventually had to get surgery ...3 wks ago in fact. And now I'm having tongue issues but I wish I could tell you more of what you are experiencing. It most likely will go away. I found that any symptoms I would get post gk were short lived.
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

Anomar11

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:30:46 pm »
Hi,  I had CK November 2008.  I had the taste issue you describe July 09.  It lasted a couple of months.  My one year MRI showed swelling and it stayed up for year 2.  Year 3 showed it coming down a bit.  I also had hemifacial spasms and a few good rounds of vertigo.  I had general wonky headedness for close to 2 years that I just learned to deal with.  Then it slowly started going away.  Now a little past 3.5 years, a few minor things crop up, but overall I'm doing well, and glad I had radiosurgery.  I think this taste thing you have will go away, and you're well within normal time range for swelling from what I understand.  Take Care.
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 11:39:59 pm »
Taste is a pretty complicated thing and it actually comes from 3 different nerves.
Facial
Glossopharyngeal
Vagus
Your Facial Nerve is probably undergoing some stress as the tumour does its thing post Gamma Knife.
So your taste maybe a little weird with one facial nerve not working properly.
Thats the most likely cause.
Permanant facial nerve damage from GK or CK are rare, so one would hope your taste will return at some point.
If you have any doubts please see your doctor, I am a very poor substitute for medical advise.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

caryng1

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:00 pm »
thanks for your comments. I had GK in Nov. and in January I began having balance and tongue and taste problems. I even scheduled an appt with my dentist, thinking perhaps it was an old silver filling or something causing this disgusting, annoying metallic which turned to a sickening sweet taste.  I keep trying to put something in my mouth to counteract the taste, I'll probably just blow up a few sizes. I keep trying to figure out if I don't have certain foods, perhaps it will not react.??? And food doesn't taste right. How long will this last? Will it subside?

char1957

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »
Hi Dee-dee,
I did not have Gk for my AN, (I had cranny).  I am 3 years post op and I still have the tongue and taste symptoms you are experiencing.  Most of the time the right side of my mouth feels like salt is just pouring in.  The only thing that helps for me at all, is brushing my tongue with baking soda (using a soft toothbrush) several times a day.  Somedays it can be maddening, but hopefully in your situation, it will go away soon.  I wish you all the best!  Char
2.5 AN right side, diagnosed 12/12/09
Retrosigmoid Surgery 2/8/10
Encompassed 4th-8th Cranial Nerves
Lost hearing and balance w/other deficits
3rd year MRI no regrowth on AN, but found 10mm Menengioma right frontal lobe

Big Steve

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:20 am »
6+ weeks translab and I've had a metallic taste on the right side of my tongue since surgery.  Some foods trigger it more than others.  Red wine tasted weird the first 3 weeks after surgery, but I'm now enjoying it again, so I guess that means things are getting better.

Hope you all the best Dee Dee
Sudden SSD (right side) 11/08 (erroneously diagnosed as caused by virus)
Chronic vertigo commenced 10/12
Intracochlear neuroma diagnosed via MRI 12/2012
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

millie

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 08:44:06 am »
Hi all-Just want to add my experience...I had trans lab October 17th and about three weeks later I noticed something strange about my tongue and taste on the left side-the surgery side.  I agree that my tongue feels as if it has been burned and the taste sensation is just not the same...how to describe it escapes me...but the feeling of numbness after one has burns the tongue is right on.  Hoping it will pass.   I also have soreness still above left eye right under and over brow and left side of my nech going down-but only if I rub those areas.
Mil

It is what it is

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 09:03:49 am »
I had a metallic taste in my mouth since middle fossa surgery in August.  It has transitioned to a strong sour taste.  Yuck.  But, I feel fortunate for the overall quality of my life now. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Bonnie B.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 09:40:35 am »
I just started with the taste thing.  I am one year post GK and scheduled to have my one year post GK MRI on Tuesday.   I was fine for six months and then started with the left sided facial numbness, twitching and tearing of the left eye.   I also started with intermittent tinnitus.  I already had no hearing in the left ear prior to GK.   
I didn't even equate the taste thing with the AN so, at least now I know why I am having that.   
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

millie

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »
It is sort of an annoying symptom..certainly tolerable...  I still taste food pretty and it has not made me lose my appetite! (unfortunately)...it is more of a sensation, I think......hoping it goes away some day.