Author Topic: New Member - What can I expect?  (Read 6615 times)

MinhVietNam

Re: New Member - What can I expect?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:31 am »
Mary

First let me say that since your AN was small, that is good news to have it treated.  I had CK almost two years ago.  Each person has different reactions to the radiation.  At first you may feel very tired, that is very common for either CK or GK.  You may experience balance issues, but not all have them.  Your tinnitus may or may not improve. Your doctor was correct in saying you may have some hearing loss from the CK.  We have to remember the tumor is still there and it is compressing the nerve.  CK just hopefully will stop the growth.  I am not sure of any facial issues from CK, but I know if you have surgery there is a chance then.

One of the main issues is that you may feel many different side effects at different times of the recovery.  The doctor told me that side effects can pop up as long as two years after radiation.

I am hoping that you have a smooth recovery, and this will be in your past.

TJ

Thank TJ, you are all right. I have CK more than 2 years. All side effects come and gone many time, but I believe CK is the best way to treat ANA.
Think positively may help you recover sooner. Goodluck to you Mary.

millie

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 07:17:02 am »
Kudos to all you brave folks!  I have a question, ladies...Minh-you have written you feel CK is the best.  Might you share why you feel that way?  At first, I thought if watch and wait progresses to action, then I would have surgery.  Now I am looking at Gamma or CK.  I have some balance issues (in my head-I don't fall over) and the ear ringing and the full feeling and the no useful hearing in my left ear.  I have probably had this thing growing for five years.  In Feb it was 1.2 cm now it is 1.4. My doctor seems to be more interested now but he also says not to worry and that each case is unique.  But it is time to talk about options.   If I have this treated, I know I will probably lose whatever hearing I have(?) in my left ear.  Will the off-balance feeling and head fullness  go away after treatment? I do not mind being off balance in recovery.
Forgive me if this has been addressed in other places on the board.

Carry on.
Millie

It is what it is

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 10:59:12 am »
As you weigh pros and cons of different treatments, I wish you peace with your final decision.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

MaryEBS

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:49 pm »
Hi Millie -

The symptoms you describe sound very similar to those I experienced prior to CK treatment.  I have about 50% of my hearing left in my right ear ... so I really did not want to loose that with surgery.  Post treatment my symptoms seem to be exacerbated. I am hoping that means the tumor is reacting quickly to the radiation so that I can get to necrosis sooner :).  But... as everyone here says we are all different and will react differently no matter what course we choose.   The best advice I can offer is to do your homework and know everything there is to know about the treatment you choose, then pick a doctor you trust... then you just have to believe.  Think someone on this forum shared that with me!  :)... Wishing you the best.  Stay in touch.

Mary
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:52:50 pm by MaryEBS »