Author Topic: Stages of grief?  (Read 28781 times)

Upstate

Re: Stages of grief?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 07:15:13 pm »
Diane,

I had tears streaming down my face as I read your post.  That was beautiful!

Upstate

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 03:14:42 pm »
Initially I was scared - mainly because I had no idea what an AN was, or if having one was fatal.  Once I educated myself, with the help of my doctor (I hadn't found the ANA or the Forum yet), I was no longer scared.

The only time I experienced grief - and it was more like depression - was in the first weeks of recovery when I was trying to cope with being SSD.

Once I decided on the BAHA implant and my insurance company agreed to pay for it, it was like a huge black cloud that was over my head lifted.

Since then, I've been nothing by greatful that I had an AN - as opposed to a lot of other worse things I could have been gifted with.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Chances3

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 11:01:39 am »
Thanks Diane,

It makes the battle worth fighting after reading your post. 

Handma1d

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:30 am »
Hey Bluesky,
How r u doing?
Peace,
Diane

BlueSky

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:38:36 am »
I am doing OK. Right now I have just been gathering information. The AN is small 6mm, but this weekend I got my first symptom, tinnitus in my AN ear with some hearing loss. I'm on steroids so hopefully it will kick it out of it but this has pushed me toward getting this thing resolved. It's easy to ignore when it's not doing something.

I have been doing ok on the emotional side of things. I have had family members with serious illnesses and definitely gone through the stages of grief. This time, maybe I'm more numb to it since I've had to deal with the family issues before, or maybe it's different because it's actually me and I feel like I am more in control of the situation?

Just trying to stay positive and make the best decisions I can.  :)

Handma1d

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 07:59:14 am »
Mornin' Bluesky,
Yeah, when it's about ourselves, our mind seems to protect us a little extra, I think.
My AN was not huge, it was the size of a "jellybean," doc said, but it filled my entire inner ear canal so symptoms were severe.
I am glad I dealt with it ASAP as I feel wonderful now. I posted in the post-surgical category if you want to know more about my process.
I also have been dealing with grief and loss regarding two dear friends recent deaths (physical, anyway) due to cancer. My one friend's celebration of life service is today - in fact I need to start getting dressed.
What part of the world do you live in?
Anyway, thanks for the update. Keep in touch - I "somehow" feel called to check in with you and nope, I'm not a stalker!  :)
Peace,
Diane

BlueSky

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 12:44:27 pm »
Colorado! We've got some major fires going on right now, I'm not in a fire area but it sure is bad out here right now. I saw a few drops of rain today, hoping for some more.
Thanks for checking in,
Sky

Handma1d

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 08:01:07 am »
Yikes! Ya'll do have major fire problems for sure. I've spent some time out your way and loved nature's offerings - mostly the Aspen area. Overall, I've spent tons of time rambling out west - worked a few years in Yellowstone Park, then 20 years on the west coast: 10 in L.A., 10 in Portland, Oregon. When I visited Mesa Verde it was after the fire there - it takes many years for forested areas to recover, eh? I'm in Michigan, lots of forest. lakes and rivers. No fires except political ones right now.  :)
Anyway, be well. When you decide to take action on your AN, do yourself a big favor and get second opinions. I would also go with the top ENT/neurosurgeon available to you - no rookies! Sending good energy your way.
Peace,
Diane

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »
Guys,

How about when it happening to someone else? Do you go through all the stages at once or is there a stage where you can slow it down some before you get to acceptance? I had a call today from a dear friend of mine who is going through end stage brain cancer, the call came from nowhere, I certainly wasn't expecting it! It came like a gut punch and knocked the wind out of me. Acceptance of circumstances is right around the corner for me. For her it was the final call, for me, it was learning to deal with loss again.

When it happens to a close friend it hurts as well.

Please everybody pray for my friend Phyllis R. tonight (NO RELATION to anyone here!) that she land safely at God's doorstep soon!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

MWL

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »
Hey there,
      I have to say I was sooo relieved to finally have a diagnosis!  I had symptoms on and off for 30 years and had been misdiagnosed with something else.  So to finally know what it was gave me more relief than you can imagine.  Honestly, the first time I read one of the articles on the site about how the balance and other problems that affect us could effect memory and fatigue, I burst into tears.  It explained so much!  I wasn't crazy.  For years I had wondered if I was depressed because of the fatigue I was experiencing.  And, my family has a significant problem with Alzheimers.  So I thought that I was just going down that route early and  honestly didn't take care of my health very well because of it--why bother?.  I actually feel now as if I have been given a new lease on life.
         Now I wonder about my mother who passed away in 2010.  She had Alzheimers when she passed but had begun experiencing "symptoms" more than 20 yers previously.  She had balance issues, hearing issues, was diagnosed with Menieres, but never had an MRI.  For those 20 years she had fatigue and memory issues but would test negative for Alzheimers.  So now I wonder if she also had an AN 
      One thing I have yet to deal with is the hearing loss.  I am only 2 weeks post surgery so still dealing with the mechanics of day to day recovery.  But I am a musician and obviously hearing has been a very important part of my life.  My family is on the look out for signs of depression as I come to grips with the fact that I no longer have stereo hearing.  Sounds silly to worry about when you get to live but it is a huge loss.  I already can tell that a car stereo sounds like a 70's transistor radio and it does seem to me that some sounds are at a different pitch to me.  So honestly, I do anticipate some grieving over the hearing loss at some point down the road.  But the actual diagnosis of AN did not result in a grieving process for me, only relief in knowing what I had been dealing with for so long.

Take care,
Meg

It is what it is

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 12:49:52 pm »
Hi Meg. After experiencing the progression of symptoms for so many years, it makes sense that relief was more present than grief!  Thanks for sharing your story. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

crazyjster

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 02:15:08 pm »
I was diagnosed with my AN July 3, 2007...3 weeks before my wedding.  I went through denial right up until the day of my surgery, November 16, 2007.  I had a fast growing tumor (the size of a large grape) pushing on my 7th and 8th cranial nerves and surgery was the only option.  I knew I was going to loose my hearing in my left ear and they were going to have to sever my balance nerve.  I did not respond well to the surgery (or I didn't have the "outcome" the Dr told me).  I had to learn to re-walk, and my sensitivity to noise in my right ear is severe.  I have tremendous issues with balance still (I have had one surgery on my wrist and need another on the other wrist and on my knee from continuous falling), despite a year of vestibular therapy.  There are other day to day issues I still need to deal with.  Lets just say I am at the stage of anger.  I am angry because I don't feel I have the support of my spouse because he doesn't understand that even after this long, I'm not better, and that it frustrates me too, I'm angry that I can't take my kids to places like the movies, or see their dance recitals, or go to school functions that are inside because the noise give me migraines or makes me puke.  I can't drive long distances because my vision gets blurry.   I can't take my 3 yr old to Disneyland and take her on the rids that have black lighting because the lighting makes me sick (or my older one on the roller coaster which I love).  I can't even go into an indoor mall for to long because the echoing makes me sick.  I am angry at all I have lost and continue to loose out on.  It has been almost 5 years and I am still angry.  Not "why me" but more "why didn't you tell me?"  I knew about the hearing loss but everything else...I had no clue.  And I'm angry that my Dr. calls this success.   
AN Left Ear-Surgery 10/16/07
Dr. John House-House Ear Clinic
Complete Hearing loss in left ear/balance nerve severed

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 03:27:03 pm »
Crazyjster ~

Of course I'm very sorry to learn of your multiple issues following AN surgery over five years ago.  Your anger, disappointment and frustration are certainly understandable.  I would feel pretty much the same way in your shoes.  I think we all would.  Your anger at not being told what could happen post-op is perfectly rational.  Most doctors do give their patients the 'worst case scenario' but my neurosurgeon assured me that, although he couldn't offer me a guarantee none of the negative stuff would happen, that he would do everything in his power to make sure it didn't.  That was why he 'de-bulked' my large AN (4.5 cm) instead of trying to completely remove it and risk damaging facial nerves (my greatest concern).  His hand-picked surgery team was top notch with one person brought in from out-of-state for his expertise.  My neurosurgeon had 30 years experience removing acoustic neuroma and admitted that he didn't always get the desired outcome (translation: the patient had post-op issues as you have) but that the surgery procedures had come a long way and he stayed on top of them.  I should mention that he was then in his late sixties (now retired).  The upshot to this is that the doctor's skill can have a great effect on the outcome and, as frustrating as it seems, a neurosurgeon is judged on whether the tumor was safely removed, not on the patient's post-op problems.  Not that it is any comfort to you but I suspect this is why your doctor considers your case a success.  The tumor was removed and that was his 'job'.  In his opinion, 'mission accomplished'. 

I won't presume to tell anyone how they should feel in this vexing situation but I will suggest seeking remedies for your disequilibrium issues, which, if surmounted, might lessen or possibly eliminate some of the other problems you're experiencing.  As for your spouse, I suggest he read the posts on this forum to come to grips with the unfortunate ramifications AN surgery can sometimes have on patients and the struggles they have to deal with long after the surgery and hospital discharge.  Due to the location of the AN, surgery can trigger a host of issues, as it has in your case and they are not always treatable or resolve quickly (although some do).  Recovery, as my doctor explained before the operation, is measured in months, not days or weeks, as with most other surgeries.  I was blessed with an excellent surgical outcome and relatively rapid recovery but a quick perusal of these forums, where I've been contributing since 2006, will demonstrate that isn't the case for every AN surgical patient.  That fact is one reason these forums were created and continue to exist.  They are here to help us support each other and to offer suggestions and, most importantly, support.  As AN patients ourselves, we 'get it' and we want to offer our help in whatever form is useful to you.  Please feel free to avail yourself of that help or simply post a rant, as you feel necessary.  We do that, too from time to time and it can be somewhat cathartic.  Meanwhile, thanks for joining and posting  - and may you have better days ahead.  :)

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LizAN

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »
I was diagnosed with my AN July 3, 2007...3 weeks before my wedding.  I went through denial right up until the day of my surgery, November 16, 2007.  I had a fast growing tumor (the size of a large grape) pushing on my 7th and 8th cranial nerves and surgery was the only option.  I knew I was going to loose my hearing in my left ear and they were going to have to sever my balance nerve.  I did not respond well to the surgery (or I didn't have the "outcome" the Dr told me).  I had to learn to re-walk, and my sensitivity to noise in my right ear is severe.  I have tremendous issues with balance still (I have had one surgery on my wrist and need another on the other wrist and on my knee from continuous falling), despite a year of vestibular therapy.  There are other day to day issues I still need to deal with.  Lets just say I am at the stage of anger.  I am angry because I don't feel I have the support of my spouse because he doesn't understand that even after this long, I'm not better, and that it frustrates me too, I'm angry that I can't take my kids to places like the movies, or see their dance recitals, or go to school functions that are inside because the noise give me migraines or makes me puke.  I can't drive long distances because my vision gets blurry.   I can't take my 3 yr old to Disneyland and take her on the rids that have black lighting because the lighting makes me sick (or my older one on the roller coaster which I love).  I can't even go into an indoor mall for to long because the echoing makes me sick.  I am angry at all I have lost and continue to loose out on.  It has been almost 5 years and I am still angry.  Not "why me" but more "why didn't you tell me?"  I knew about the hearing loss but everything else...I had no clue.  And I'm angry that my Dr. calls this success.

Crazyjster,

I'm sorry to hear of your post-op problems.  You have been through a lot.  I had surgery a couple of months ago and am wondering how full of a recovery I will have.

It sounds like you have balance issues and hyperacusis.  Would it be too disorienting to wear an ear plug when you go into situations that trigger the headache and nausea?  It does sound like you are missing out on things that are very important to you.  What do your doctors say about your balance, given that the other side of the brain is supposed to compensate?  Have they checked you for balance issues that are unrelated to your AN surgery?  I have been wondering why some people do better than others and whether that might have something to do with a pre-existing balance disorder on the other side of the brain, that was previously masked by good balance function on the AN side.  Do the docs even think to check for that?

I hope you find some relief.  I will be thinking of you.  Please stay in touch.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

It is what it is

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 12:14:45 am »
You sure are grieving a lot of losses.  I join Liz in hoping you find some relief. 

With caring,

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.