Author Topic: down to the wire  (Read 4329 times)

madison

down to the wire
« on: June 10, 2012, 04:29:43 pm »
Hello everyone- i am so frustrated i need to vent- so thank you for being here for me.  My surgery is scheduled for next Monday..I received an approval from my insurance, so i was relieved everything was taken care of with that.  On Friday afternoon, the neuro office calls and says my claim was denied because I have Medicare-which i don't!  I used to have Medicare but it terminated in 2004.  I had to call Social Security to find that date out and by time i called the office back, it was closed. That pretty much made my weekend very stressful.  I received the new "denial" in the mail Saturday and left a message with the Expedited review office.  I am supposed to have PAT's on Tuesday, so tomorrow I am hoping to be able to straighten this out..but I don't know what's going to happen and I really don't want to dealay the surgery because you know there is so much involved in planning- for example, my husband took time off from work to care for me, etc... I really don't need this added stress right now.  I swear I think the insurance companies dig this stuff up to delay things.  UGH!!!   and why do they leave this stuff for when it's down to the wire?  My surgery was scheduled 2 months ago.  I've been really calm about everything, until this!
Pennsylvania:female: 40 yrs. old
R ACOUSTIC NEUROMA;GAMMA KNIFE FEB. 2008
multiple meningiomas
scheduled for translab @ Thomas Jefferson in Phila. Pa. on 6/18/2012

LizAN

Re: down to the wire
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:59:39 pm »
Hello everyone- i am so frustrated i need to vent- so thank you for being here for me.  My surgery is scheduled for next Monday..I received an approval from my insurance, so i was relieved everything was taken care of with that.  On Friday afternoon, the neuro office calls and says my claim was denied because I have Medicare-which i don't!  I used to have Medicare but it terminated in 2004.  I had to call Social Security to find that date out and by time i called the office back, it was closed. That pretty much made my weekend very stressful.  I received the new "denial" in the mail Saturday and left a message with the Expedited review office.  I am supposed to have PAT's on Tuesday, so tomorrow I am hoping to be able to straighten this out..but I don't know what's going to happen and I really don't want to dealay the surgery because you know there is so much involved in planning- for example, my husband took time off from work to care for me, etc... I really don't need this added stress right now.  I swear I think the insurance companies dig this stuff up to delay things.  UGH!!!   and why do they leave this stuff for when it's down to the wire?  My surgery was scheduled 2 months ago.  I've been really calm about everything, until this!

Madison,

That does sound stressful!  I'm sorry they are putting you through this.  What is PAT's?  Is your surgery scheduled for the 18th?

I am going through similar issues between the insurance companies and the doctor's office.  What a pain!  I've already been working on this for several weeks and it doesn't feel like it's getting settled.  My surgery is in three weeks.  Like you, I'm wondering whether the insurance companies try to slow things down in hopes that we will change our minds and they won't have to pay.  It just seems really unfair to people who are already very stressed.  Grrr!!!

I hope you get it straightened out tomorrow.  Please keep us posted.

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

kixit

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:21:43 pm »
I wish you luck on your insurance adventure! The insurance companies can be such pains in the...I hope they pay for your surgery. I just looked at my surgical billing online (Anthem wants me to see what they paid out, lol). The hospital stay, (including surgical suite 32000, anesthesia 11500, medical supplies 7200 and room 9200) was 68500, anesthesologist was 4500 just for him. The surgeon was 16500, totaling...89500. I'm sure there are a few more bills yet to come.

Though I am very ticked that Anthem denied (and is being appealed) my BAHA, I am very thankful they paid for the AN surgery.

Good luck with the insurance and well wishes for your surgeries  ;D
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:34:17 pm »
Madison ~

Well, this really stinks! 

Bad enough that there is an insurance mix-up but coming virtually on the eve of your surgery makes it doubly stressful.

I hope and pray that you can get this cleared up in time and keep your surgery on schedule.  Please update us, if you have time.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.