Author Topic: Decisions, decisions......  (Read 2340 times)


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 9
Decisions, decisions......
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »

I was diagnosed in December of 2010 with a 5mm AN in my right year.  I just had my third MRI and my AN is now 6mm. The doctor says that for all intensive purposes we cannot say that it has grown, as the measurement is too close to tell. My hearing is 100%.  I suffer from balance issues (fullness of ear, tinnitus and of course a feeling on imbalance).  The neurologist has monitored my AN since my diagnosis. Now he says I can decide to either have surgery or keep waiting.  I guess I am starting to wonder what am I waiting for? Waiting for the situation to get bad and then have a reduce chance of success? or am I waiting with the hope that I can beat this thing and escape the surgery in my lifetime? I do not know. But I am 35 years old and in good shape.  I have a chance of losing my hearing with the surgery. I am comfortable with my team of doctors, and they have all been great on leaving the choice to me. 

Since surgery has the best chance of dealing with the balance issues, I am leaning toward that over radiation.

I am torn on whether I should do the surgery now or continue the roller coaster of watching and waiting.

Any thoughts are appreciated.



  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 678
  • Loving Life
Re: Decisions, decisions......
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:58 am »
Your AN is very small. The choice is yours to make and your decision does not need to be rushed. If I were in your situation I would read and absorb all the information I can regarding radiation & surgery. Weigh the pros and cons. We all know this decision is very tough. We are here to help you. What I did was read everyones posts. This helped me a lot.

14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 82
Re: Decisions, decisions......
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:40:58 am »
Bless you, it is a hard decision to make, do some research and go with your gut. Keep up posted on your progress
Lou x
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system