Author Topic: newly diagnosed - scheduling surgery  (Read 15415 times)

kixit

Re: newly diagnosed - scheduling surgery
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 06:51:38 pm »
Jan (UVA),

For me surgery was nothing. It was the 24 hrs of spinning and vomiting that I didn't want and got! My pain got no higher than a 6 and that was just neck strain (your neck is stretched for 6 to 9 hours) and intermttent sharp pains on th AN side. But other than the 24 hr vomiting I found it it to be a breeze. Though I am having to walk with a walker because of major balance issues, I'm fine. No headaches (knocks on wood) or anything, oh yeah  FATIGUE!! wowzers am I tired a lot.

The UVA folks were awesome and I would reccommend them to everyone (you know I'm a Hokie by heart). Very kind and caring people  8)
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 08:30:50 am »
Thanks for the update kixit.   I am sorry you had to spin and vomit.  That doesn't sound so good.  I guess that one day of that sure beats 2 or 3 days.  I figure that the way time flies in general, I can muster through for a day or two or three, whatever it takes.  It seems that 20 yrs of raising kids has flown by, so what is a week? 

I am so glad to hear that UVA was a good experience for you.  I have all of my preop work this week.  Going to see Dr. Helm, then to echocardiogram, then Dr. Hashisaki, and finally, another hearing test.  Surgery date will be here before I know it.

I'll keep you posted.

Hope you continue to progress well, and can get off of the walker soon. 

Jan(UVA )
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

kixit

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:26 pm »
I went back to UVA today for suture removal and a recheck. I am ahead as far as progress. I go back to light duty work next week (we are shooting for 4 hr days to start). My balance has improved but I still stagger a little bit but Dr Kesser said it will get a lot better. He actually couldn't believe it was just 10 days post op. So we are going to try the work thing.

I asked him about my ear (I had translab) and why it sticks out more (I told him my ears were big enough without
the extra sticking out part,lol) He said it would flatten out in a few weeks. I also asked him about the cardboard feeling in my AN ear. He said skin nerves were cut during the initial incision and WILL grow back and I will be able to feel my ear again.

The care and concern they give is amazing. You will love them!

Good luck and well wishes are sent your way along with prayers  ;D
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

Rob85616

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »
Hey Jan - good luck with your up-coming surgery!  I had a golf ball size AN on the right side and had the Retrosig approach surgery on 3/21/12 and all went well for me!!  I too was nervous about the actual surgery.  But I told myself that I was in the good hands of my surgeon and had lots of people praying for me and tried not to overthink things!  I didn't have much time to think about that though - I had to have surgery just a few days after I found out I had the AN.  But in a way that was good - I didn't have to make any decisions and stress about that.  The first day post-op was a bit scary with the balance being off & I had some slight double vision for the first day but it is easily forgotten once it improves!  I went home 4 days after surgery.  I brought jammies, books, etc but for the most part I didn't even take anything out of my bag!  Now I am about 12 weeks post and things are going well.  I have my balance back, no headaches, no facial paralysis, still some numbness & metallic taste on my tongue & some hearing loss.  I'm am contemplating starting running again soon.  I tried it at about 6 weeks and I think that was too soon for me as I didn't like the impact.  But I'm ready to try it again now.  I go next month for my first follow up MRI and am hoping all is well!!  They didn't get quite 100% of the tumor so I will continue to have it monitored and hopefully nothing will re-grow in the future. 
Best of luck to you!
4CM AN Right Side. Retrosig Surgery March 2012. SSD

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 10:27:11 am »
Hi ROB85616

Thanks so much for your post and well wishes for me.  I am very encouraged by the reports of those who have gone before me.  I agree whole heartidly about "overthinking" it.  I am really trying to stay positive and not worry about the surgery.  I have met my surgeons and have completed all of my preop work up.  I feel confident that I am in good hands.  There is nothing more I can do, but just show up for surgery.  It is so encouraging to hear that you have had no serious complications and are progressing well.  I think I am most concerned about how I will feel when I am waking up after the surgery.  I try not to think about it much, because I know it will probably be the hardest part of the journey.  I am just praying for peace and the strength to endure whatever discomfort I experience.  I feel so fortunate to have so many people praying for me.  I have to trust that God will help me through it.  I do look forward to getting back to an active life and to my exercise routine.  I know it'll take some time, though.     

For now, I'm just trying to stay busy by getting things done around the house for a comfortable transition back home.  Also, I am getting busy with kids summer activities.  I'll probably be so exhausted I'll need a couple of days of sleep.  Really, I am just trying to keep my mind and body busy-- as much as I can, as I do fatigue easily, due to wonkiness.  Surgery (and recovery) will be here before I know it. 

Thanks again and good luck with your MRI and continued recovery.
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.