Author Topic: Dizzy in a crowded room  (Read 22630 times)

Ned

Dizzy in a crowded room
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:17:57 am »
Went to an indoor flea market, lots of people, after about 15 minutes my balance was so bad I had to leave.  Any of you have similar problems?
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

KBL

Re: Dizzy in a crowded room
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:57:23 am »
Hi Ned, 
Yes, I have the same issue.  I think there is way too much going on, movement of other people, stuff to look at, noise, that my brain gets overstimulated very quickly.  I do not attend Sunday morning church any more, it exhausts me. 
Locally we have a huge, fun farmers market, I have found that I cannot attend it because it makes me dizzy and exhausted.   
For me I have found it is easiest to avoid those situations.  I would love to know if anyone has found a way to cope with them.
Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Ned

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:07:12 pm »
Karen,
I have started having the same problem at church.  We stand up a lot and I just can't handle it even when I remain seated. When driving if there is lots of traffic I get disoriented.  I am going to a concert next month and worry about being in a crowd.  I talked with the venue and they got me seats on the front row of the balcony, I hope this helps.  One thing I have noted, when the imbalance feeling comes, it  is immediately preceded by extreme sleepiness.

Ned
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

KBL

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:24:15 pm »
I have driven 2 times since my surgery.  Again, over stimulation. 
Yesterday we drove an hour to the airport to pick up my brother.  We weren't even there and I was getting tired and dizzy.   After we picked him up we went out for lunch.  I came home and needed to nap.  Oh so frustrating.  On Tuesday I have a disability hearing.
If I was going to a concert, I would take an earplug for my one ear to soften the sound and protect my one good ear from damage.  I hope you enjoy the concert.  Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:33:06 pm »
Ned .....

Balance issues in a crowded room seems to be a common thread for those of us with ANs, but in varying degrees.

Because I have no vestibular function on either side, I will always have balance issues period.  That being said, a room full of moving people is my "worst case scenario."  I refuse to become a hermit because of this so there are several things I do when knowing I will be confronting this situation:

1) make certain I have adequate rest beforehand
2) limit my caffeine intake
3) remain as much as possible to the perimeter of the room, unless I have someone's arm
4) find a seat on the outside edge of the room, if possible
5) keep my gaze firmly focused on something that is not moving when I am standing
6) stand slowly and regain my "bearings" before trying to walk
7) do not turn my head quickly
8) stay in a well-lighted area

Although I am not currently singing in our church choir, the most stressful part of being in the choir was processing, unless I was leading.  Following a swaying choir member totally disoriented me.  I finally gave it up, but not for that reason, but because I began having vocal issues when my tumor was regrowing and it did not resolve post second surgery.

I will say that fatigue is the biggest culprit in making me disoriented in a crowded room so I am very careful when I am tired.  Therefore, I really do try to follow my rule #1.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:14:42 pm »
And...make sure you're hanging on to the cart when you're walking through a store with lots of breakables!   ;)
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

sunfish

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:29:55 am »
A very common problem.  My husband calls the shopping cart my "walker."  Crowds and stores cause this problem for me.  Funny how some stores cause more problems than others.

In the weeks/months after treatment, the store could sometimes be really overwhelming for me.

And I have also quit praying in church with my eyes shut, and without a hand on the pew in front of me.  But I'm still praying . . . and shopping!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:39:09 am »
I don't EVER shut my eyes while standing and praying...whether at our family meals (there  are 20-30 of us usually - we all stand in circle holding hands) or at a church function/service.  I don't have trouble at all in stores or really, anywhere else but that one gets me. I think God still hears our prayers!!  ;)

I agree with Clarice, I think it all has to do with energy/tiredness/scheduling - I have been at this a LONG time (16.5 years) so I have kind of learned how to balance out my schedule...but as with everything, some days are better than others!

K   :D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

jenichol

• Fear not, for I Am with you - Isaiah 41:10
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:00:29 am »
Church and crowds are exhausting for me as well.  Lots of people talking and moving about is sort of like a bad dream.  I was at my son's symphony concert last night.  The actual symphony was soothing and wonderful, but the getting to from the seats and walking in the crowded hall and reception area was challenging.  Felt like I may fall onto the desert table once.   

I saw an old friend, who asked how I was doing.  It took a while to figure out what she was actually saying, but by deduction was able to realize she was asking how I and my family were.  My oldest daughter thought it was hilarious that my reply was, " I am doing well, getting ready to have brain surgery."  Of course, I then had to explain and continue to try and decipher what she was saying.  All in all, rather challenging.  I am always glad to leave.   I used to like to stop at yard sales and flee markets but now it seems like so much work.  Then, if I see people I know, I have to try to act " normal", when I am feeling totally whacked.  It is easier to just avoid the situation, but I'm not sure that's better.

I hate the mall, grocery stores and Walmart!  I am also a shopping cart leaner.

Jan
48 yo female --3+cm right sided AN. Retro sig removal 6-22-12 at UVA.  SSD right ear.  HA.  Constant Loud Tinnitus. Fullness. Imbalance.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:24:43 am »
I love antique shopping, but in some stores the merchandise is stacked so close together & high leaving little room on the floor for walking. I have trouble with these tight spaces. I feel unsteady on my feet. I generally get through these spaces just fine, but just don't like the way I feel in there.

I recently went to a concert. All went well, but when the concert was over, the challenge was in getting out of there. I feel unsteady going up the stairs among the crowd. I was with my sister. She knew it was best to just take my arm to help us get through there. We did just fine.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Ned

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 01:08:46 pm »
Another issue, when driving and come to a stop sign, looking left and right and then comes the dizziness.  The dizziness clears up in a few moments, do any of you have this experience and how do you deal with it?  Went to Sam's today and left the cart for a minute and made a quick turn and landed on my butt.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

KBL

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 02:50:51 pm »
 ;D Carts are our friends!  I no longer drive.  It is way too hard to deal with.  I tried twice and also found I got dizzy.  I used to be able to shop for hours and hours, I no longer enjoy it.  Almost all of my Christmas shopping was done on line.
Today I was at the grocery store.  Amazing how it is "floaty" or " wavy" in there.  I get tired of trying to explain to others what it is like.  Don't you hate when you have to find that "one" kind of can of soup or what ever the item is.  Oh well, we are alive and survived a brain tumor. 
Karen

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »
Stopped by my old work place yesterday, visited for about two hours.  I could tell about after an hour of walking around, talking, standing, etc that this was not a good thing.  By the time I left I wondered if I was going to be able to drive home OK.  The normal dizzy, balance & tired. 

One lady said I was radiating, my face was glowing.  I replied, maybe that's because I just finished having my head radiated last week.   ;D

One of the supervisors asked me if I was ready to unretire because she has a position opening up next month.  At first I thought that might be nice but after my two hour visit there is no way I could go back to work.  Problem solved.

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back