Author Topic: 7 months post surgery  (Read 1721 times)

LakeErie

7 months post surgery
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:50:54 pm »
My first ever post was " 7 weeks post surgery " so 7 month anniversary today seems an appropriate
time to update.
Improvement continues with both voice and swallowing. Neither is the same as before surgery and the lower cranial nerve involvement, but it can take 12 to 18 months for those nerves to come back.
I regard my ability to speak and swallow as  functional if not perfect. If this is as good as they get, my throat will not be a  problem for me.
My facial numbness is gone around my upper lip and the corner of my mouth, but my right lower lip and chin remain somewhat numb - though less so. Again improvement.
SSD is still something of an adjustment, especially outside - don't know for sure where cars are coming from for example.
Balance has been fine. I can jog for an hour now. As others have observed before, running a straight line is easier than walking one for me.
I still have a problem with my head when getting up if I have been sitting too long, But that is simple to prevent with a little regular movement.
In total I feel very close to how I felt before the tumor removal and feel better and better as time passes.
In 5 more months I have my first follow up MRI to monitor the 3% to 5% residual tumor left on  the facial nerve and brain stem.
Again, I thank this board for providing insight into the recovery process.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:11:29 pm by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 7 months post surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:46:46 pm »
Thanks for the informative and positive 7-month update.  You appear to be recovering nicely and I hope that continues.  Thanks for sharing your recovery story. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.