Author Topic: New Phonak CROS or BAHA????  (Read 55785 times)

GretchenGoodWitch

Re: New Phonak CROS or BAHA????
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 04:15:41 am »
Denise  --  When I first got my Phonak, I had the hook that just went in the top of your ear for my deaf side.  I ended up switching it to the same type of hook(?) that was in my good ear, except without the wires.  I did not feel confident that the top of the ear hook would be enough to keep the hearing aid on. 

leeclinton

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 02:25:56 pm »

QUESTION: those of you that already have the CROS....do you a clear plug type thing that goes INTO your deaf ear????   Not talking the tiny tube thing to help hold it in place, I mean in the actual canal, like an ear plug would be.       
How about the good ear side?   I was told not needed for deaf side, but yes for good side.

THANKS
Denise S (MI)

Denise:
I have posted extensively on a couple of other threads about my positive experience with the CROS.  To answer your specific question:  I have the behind the ear models for both ears.  My good ear had the tiny clear tube that goes into my ear canal from the behind-the-ear main part.  My deaf ear is also behind-the-ear, but just has the little clear hook, that hooks into the fold at the top of the are simply to anchor it into place.

Lee
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 02:47:52 pm »
Denise  --  When I first got my Phonak, I had the hook that just went in the top of your ear for my deaf side.  I ended up switching it to the same type of hook(?) that was in my good ear, except without the wires.  I did not feel confident that the top of the ear hook would be enough to keep the hearing aid on.

GLAD to know you can change that "hook" part if needed!  THanks!!

LEE,
Yes, I am am following ALL the other ones you are on two, but since I started this one, this is where I figured to ask the questions.  THANKS
Actually I wonder if a thread should be started that is JUST  newer Phonak CROS!!!    So many people comment on the  other stuff, whereas people just need info on the CROS only  ;)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

spgreenfield

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 06:11:17 pm »
I JUST came from the audiologist/ENT appointment to access whether or not I'm a good BAHA user - and I am.  But I am disappointed by what the ENT said as well as the headband test BAHA.

ENT said never to expect to hear well enough through BAHA to understand speech.  What I COULD hear from the test product sounded like an old B&W portable TV from the 70's before they put really decent speakers into the small ones.  I had a hard time even SENSING the BAHA - except I figured out that I could plug my good ear and hear only what was coming from the BAHA.  Which as described earlier as amplification of all noise seems accurate. 

Now, nobody has mentioned anything about those of us that wear glasses.  And I have to wear them ALL THE TIME!  What about the Cros being attached to glasses - hence no need for the over the ear hooks?  I'm also not too keen on going through all the surgical stuff to get a sub-par hearing device that may save my life from walking out in front of a moving vehicle, but not helping me with head shadow suffered during conversations.  I HATE having to say "I need to sit there in order to hear you" or "walk on my right side so I can hear you"  and not be able to hear my mumbling husband in the car since it's my left ear that's deaf.  So all-in-all I like the idea of giving something without surgery a spin to see how it helps....

Is my ENT way wrong about the BAHA?  Jan - the ad on Cochlear is from a man leading a business meeting and having someone whisper in his BAHA ear they have to leave the meeting - and HEARING it!  Who's right?   :o

Pam   ???
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 06:45:14 pm »
Pam - I wear glasses all the time and I use the CROS.  No problem.  The CROS BTE is so low profile that glasses simply sit right next to them.

Since you can trial the CROS, it is definitely worth checking out.  The trial will give you the opportunity to experience exactly what it will be like once you purchase.  You have 30-45 days to spend time with it before you have to make a decision.  Sounds pretty good to me.

As I've posted before, I just made the commitment to purchase my set.  I'm happy with what it is providing me.  It has a lot of positives.
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

spgreenfield

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:49 pm »
It's definitely providential that I found this BEFORE going in for the BAHA surgery!!!!  Plus great since the test headband and ENT's opinion of what to expect fall waaaay short of what I was looking for!  You can test drive a car - but something like the BAHA is impossible to test.  Think I'll call tomorrow about the Cros - they list my ENT clinic as one that carries it.  Sure wish she had taken the time today to talk to me about other options....but I went in there gung ho about the BAHA and that's ALL they showed me!!!!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 05:28:34 am »
I was all gung-ho about moving forward with Soundbite. Even gave my $600 deposit. But after my consultation, they were two weeks slow in getting back to me with he name of the dentist who was to do the impression. Within that two week period I started reading about CROS on these boards. Once hearing about it, I made the decision to test CROS. And the rest is history. So glad that Boston Medical didn't quite have its act together on Soundbite!  Their delay was my gain. It's possible that I would have loved Soundbite, but Phonak has been around for many, many years and the new CROS is based on some really reliable technology.  Soundbite only started distributing since November.
AN, 9 MM

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:58 am »
Just have to add in here that choosing a hearing assistance device is a very personal decision ..... just as is making a treatment decision.  We are on this forum to support one another in whatever direction each of us goes ..... while at the same time sharing our individual experiences to assist in the decision-making process.

That being said, as is frequently said on here "individual results may vary."  I am convinced that because we each have unique brains, we cannot say "if you get _______ , you will be able to hear well."  So much depends upon our own hearing loss, anatomy of our brain, function of our brain, any damage done during treatment, etc.

Bottom line:  once again it is really necessary to go with your gut on this after you have the facts before you.

One fact correction:  I can understand speech perfectly well through my Ponto Pro BAHA.  But remember if someone is whispering to you, they must whisper into the processor not into your deaf ear.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 04:54:19 pm »
Clarice, you make wonderful points.  The choice ultimately needs to be based on individual fit and preferences. I've found this site so helpful since it has allowed me to hear the various experiences out there. There is no other site like it. Truly a blessing. Had I not tapped in and been able to ask all my questions, I'd be at a loss.
AN, 9 MM

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 01:16:51 pm »
Pam,
Wearing the headband is NOTHING like what the BAHA really sounds like when it is attached to your head.  I really did not like the BAHA with the headband at all, but the audiologist and surgeon promised me that would not be the sound quality I would have once I had the abutment.  They were right.  And, like the ad on the Cochlear site, I DO HEAR when someone whispers in my deaf ear.  In a noisy room I may not hear them as clearly, but at least I know they are talking to me.  With a less noisy background I hear VERY well on my deaf side with excellent word discrimination.  Even though I have had feedback issues, I am so much better off with the BAHA than without.
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »
Question...some of the posts have confused me.  What is the difference between the Cros and the Bi-Cros?
Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 01:26:15 pm »
Question...some of the posts have confused me.  What is the difference between the Cros and the Bi-Cros?
Dale

CROS is used when your good ear hears well. Bi-CROS is used when your good ear needs a boost with a hearing aid. Setup is the same in both. Just the good side aid amplifies the good side.
AN, 9 MM

spgreenfield

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 02:40:39 pm »
Dale,

I have an appointment for next friday to go to a completely different ENT that deals with both Oticon and Cochlear and Phonak.  I can try a Cros for $100 for 30 days (SO worth it!) and she's also going to send me home with an Oticon BAHA headband to test fully.  The ENT I went to first I think is a complete joke.  He was young and brash and didn't know what he was talking about.  I now know that what he told was wasn't true.  Will NOT return to that group!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 05:07:53 pm »
ENT said never to expect to hear well enough through BAHA to understand speech.  What I COULD hear from the test product sounded like an old B&W portable TV from the 70's before they put really decent speakers into the small ones.  I had a hard time even SENSING the BAHA - except I figured out that I could plug my good ear and hear only what was coming from the BAHA.  Which as described earlier as amplification of all noise seems accurate. 

Is my ENT way wrong about the BAHA?  Jan - the ad on Cochlear is from a man leading a business meeting and having someone whisper in his BAHA ear they have to leave the meeting - and HEARING it!  Who's right?   :o

Pam -

the ENT is full of sh*t.  I understand speech perfectly with my BAHA and I can relate to the Cochlear ad.  I think the ENT is just anti-BAHA.

My experience is like Dale's (except for the feedback issues; I don't have any of those).

As for your question about glasses.  I'm near-sighted and wear glasses every time I drive at night (plus on some other occasions).  I also wear sunglasses almost every day.  My BAHA isn't a problem.  My glasses fit fine, and they don't cause feedback.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 06:40:03 pm »
Pam, Also, right before my procedure, they had me put my sunglasses on because those have a thicker arm than my regular glasses.  They drew a line on my head where the top of the sun glasses arm would be, and made sure the BAHA was above that. I'm sure they can do that for you if you ask.  Also, so glad you are going to another doctor.  My word discrimination, as I said earlier, is great.
Dale
Tarzana, CA