Author Topic: New Phonak CROS or BAHA????  (Read 55799 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New Phonak CROS or BAHA????
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13:04 pm »
BAHA - hands down!  ;D

Jan  >:D

Jan - Have you been able to evaluate both technologies?

Thanks for asking Ross.   It depends on what you mean by "evaluate". 

Prior to my BAHA implant, I spoke at great length with my neurotologist about both the Cros and the BAHA and relied heavily on his opinion (as I trust him implicitly).  He has patients who have had both and the general concensus is that they prefer the BAHA.  I also relied on the opinion of others on this Forum who got BAHA implants before me. 

I've always said that the BAHA isn't for everyone and I firmly believe that the Cros isn't for everyone either.  I learned enough about the Cros to know it wasn't right for me. 

Denise knows very well my love for the BAHA - both from the Forum and from Facebook.

My post was just a little reinforcement of my opinion and she knows that.

Jan

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:32:03 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 08:20:15 am »
I would like to know if anyone out there in the Forum has gone from a BAHA to a Cros or a BiCros. I would be interested in knowing the difference in sound quality, volume and any issues that have been found with the Cros.  Thanks.
Dale

PS  I have the new Cochlear Intenso now for my BAHA.  I am much happier with it than without it, but there are still some occasional issues with feedback. Not as bad as they were, but still present.
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Paul F

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 11:44:09 am »
Dale,
I went from an Intenso to the Phonak Bi-Cros about a year ago, right after the new Cros came out.  For me, the sound is much more natural with the Cros.  It seems all the BAHA did was amplify every sound and it actually drowned out the half-way decent sound I was hearing in my better ear.  Thats because the BAHA is not programed along with the other hearing device as the Cros is.  I love the Cros.
Paul

P.S.  I can wear a hat again and no more staining my pillows.

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »
With technology changing so quickly, anyone who evaluated the CROS even one year ago would be out of date with their information. Based on Paul's assessment, other BAHA wearers may want to revisit their choices. It certainly would be easy enough to make the evaluation.
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 06:34:12 pm »
Hahaha Jan....YES I for sure know you are BAHA hands down  ;)  But, I have to say....I love your 'devil' horns face.  ;D
 b u t.....just so you know, the CROS has been updated, just like Ross said in the last post.   A lot of people hear CROS and cringe,   because of what it used to be like.   It is amazing how far they have come, but yet sad that it has taken SO long!!

I ordered a CROS system on Tuesday because I want to see if it will be good enough for me.   Still need to hear back from secondary insurance to see of coverage for a BAHA AND the office can't give me an exact idea how much it will cost.   

I have heard NOTHING but positive on this Newer Phonak CROS, so that is all good!!

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Phillies

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »
The Cros really is great! When my audiologist first mentioned it to me late last year I just cringed as all I thought of were the old posts from this board. With the Cros as good as it is, I can't see why, in my opinion, this shouldn't be tried first before going for surgery with a BAHA. It really does work wonders....

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 06:55:42 pm »

SO, this picture shows a piece that goes into each ear, I 'think' the red is in the good ear to get the sound and the green side is to help 'anchor' it there.  Is this correct??    ANOTHER option below:

Now this is one like my audi told me I'd get......the red circle is for the bad ear and this little thing DON'T go into the ear canal.  It is basically a loop that hooks into the top of the ear for anchoring (right)?

Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 07:05:22 pm »
The Cros really is great! When my audiologist first mentioned it to me late last year I just cringed as all I thought of were the old posts from this board. With the Cros as good as it is, I can't see why, in my opinion, this shouldn't be tried first before going for surgery with a BAHA. It really does work wonders....

Thanks, between all the comments I've seen here on the forum, on Facebook and other Hearing forums, I'd say you are RIGHT ON!!   

At least now there is an "actual" option for everyone, especially those that don't have insurance that will cover a BAHA implant!!!   

THANKS for your input!!  For me A N D for future people!!   It's good to spread the word, because SO MANY don't realize the CROS has been upgraded!!

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 06:38:54 am »
In gadget terms prior to this last upgrade the CROS was the SONY Walkman. Interesting, but outmoded. Now it's the latest iPhone. It's worth a new look :-)
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

Paul F

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 09:12:16 am »
Denise, you are correct.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »
Denise -

you have some wonderful points here.  Sounds like the new Cros is a very good solution for those who are SSD.

Personally I can't imagine ditching my BAHA especially because of what it cost my insurance company for the surgery and my first processor (Divino) and also because what it cost me for my second processor (BP100).  But then again, I am extremely happy with my BAHA, always have been and probably always will be, so I have no reason to look farther.

To each his/her own!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39:15 pm »
P.S.  I can wear a hat again and no more staining my pillows.

Point well taken about the hat - although it's important to note that some docs will try to accomodate you when placing the BAHA site so that you can wear a hat.  It's not always possible, due to bone density of the skull, but if you have a favorite hat it doesn't hurt to take it your doc and see if he can place your site so that you can still wear it post implant.

As for the staining of the pillows, this has never been an issue for me.  With the exception of the first few days post implant when the site is still draining, this is not a normal occurrence.  And the first few post implant the site has a bandage on it, so it's not usually an issue then either.

Jan 

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »
I was wondering what you meant by staining the pillows too??  If from leakage, and not fairly new, should get it checked  ;)

Jan....I'm just trying spread the word on this newer option!!  So many are unaware that the CROS has been greatly updated!!   

Paul F

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 12:18:27 pm »
I had constant draining from around the abutment, sometimes more than others.  When I had the abutment removed, the doctor took a culture which showed I had some sort of staff (sp) infection which we then cleared up with antibiotics.  Not sure if was caused by the abutment or the implants.  I have two, one is a sleeper.  Both still penetrate my skin and can been seen. I had hoped the skin would grow over them but thats not happening.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 07:16:20 pm »
Denise -

Some of my posts touting the BAHA have been a tongue in cheek response to Ross  ;D , but in all sincerity the BAHA has been the answer to my SSD problem.  I don't think that's a secret to anyone.

That said, I think you are wise to spread the word about the new Phonak CROS as it may be the solution to your SSD as well as the solution for others.

As I've always stated, the BAHA isn't for everyone.  There are other options out there and it's great that people have choices.

I commend you for sharing,

Jan