Author Topic: 11 days left until translab!  (Read 10735 times)

lrobie

Re: 11 days left until translab!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »
Hi Manders,

I had a vestibular evaluation done and they said that my right side isn't compensating yet, so I'm expecting to have to work at regaining my balance.  I'm hoping that the muscles that I've gained in my upper legs will help with this.  We switched our bikes over this past winter so that we could ride them in the basement.  I really didn't want to bulk up in my legs, but maybe it will be worth it.  I'm done with my 8 week zumba class and now I'm on to Thai Chi...it's a little boring after doing zumba.

I wish you the best and can't wait to hear from you when you're feeling up to it. 

Lisa

P.S.  Where in Pennsylvania are your parents taking you to?
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 04:13:00 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Yeah, I'm probably in the same boat. I never had a vestibular evaluation done but based on my symptoms I'm guessing mine hasn't started compensating yet either. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

I think my parents are taking me to Pittsburgh. I'm trying to get specifics out of them but that's about all I've gotten so far. It's a great weekend getaway because it's not that far, but it's out of Ohio and there'll be plenty to do.  :)

Thanks for the kind wishes and I'll certainly be posting updates post-surgery as soon as I can.

Manders
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
I had absolutely no problems with balance or dizziness prior to my surgery, and no problems afterwards. My only symptoms were a very gradual (over the course of quite a few years) loss of hearing and mild tinnitus.

Best wishes,
Catherine
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:46 pm »
Oh good! That's so encouraging to hear, Catherine. I'm praying for similar results.  :)
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 01:10:05 am »
The week before my surgery? For me it was only something like 10days from diagnoses to surgery......and I SHOPPED! I went to a different mall every day and shopped, I was supposed to be getting PJ's but came home with all kinds of things but not any PJ's! I think I was still in a state of shock over my diagnoses when they were wheeling me into the OR but I wouldn't have had it any other way!
 I also spent some time writting my will and notations in my Bible for a service should I not make it out of the OR.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)