Author Topic: BAHA users  (Read 12648 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA users
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:56:24 pm »
Also, from what all of my audiologists have told me, the longer a person is SSD, the more the brain adapts (shuts off) to no sound from that side.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

LizAN

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 05:22:04 pm »
How common is it for people with BAHAs to develop hearing sensitivity in their good ear?  Does it have a volume control?
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 06:05:26 pm »
Liz .....

Not quite sure what you mean by developing hearing sensitivity ..... if you mean hyperacusis ..... almost immediately after my first surgery, when I still had 20% useful hearing in my AN ear and excellent/above normal hearing in my good ear, I developed hyperacusis.  This did not change when my second surgery 3 years later resulted in me being totally deaf in my AN ear.

Yes, there is a volume control on my Oticon Ponto Pro device.

Clarice

LizAN

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »
Liz .....

Not quite sure what you mean by developing hearing sensitivity ..... if you mean hyperacusis ..... almost immediately after my first surgery, when I still had 20% useful hearing in my AN ear and excellent/above normal hearing in my good ear, I developed hyperacusis.  This did not change when my second surgery 3 years later resulted in me being totally deaf in my AN ear.

Yes, there is a volume control on my Oticon Ponto Pro device.

Clarice

By hearing sensitivity, I meant hyperacusis.  I'm assuming the hyperacusis is in your good ear?  I have recruitment in my AN ear.  I'm assuming that will go away when I have translab, since it is caused by the hairs in the cochlea, which I will no longer have.  I'm planning to ask Dr. Slattery about that, next time I talk to him.

Clarice, when you had translab, did they sever your cochlear nerve as well as your vestibular nerve on the AN side?  Is that what they normally do?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

spgreenfield

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 08:21:47 am »
Oh well - I had a nice reply and my computer decided to reboot spontaneously!  Must be I needed to rewrite!  So here goes!

Yesterday I got educated.  I brought home a Phonak Cros and a Oticon BAHA to test.  I am barely 6 months after surgery - and Jan I can't take 6 more!  I'm with you!

I didn't "understand" the differences between them until I tried one on - and now I know.

Last week I had an abysmal experience with a Cochlear BAHA - now I suspect it was because it was a really old model - because this Oticon is worlds of difference from last week!  The sound quality if you plug your hearing ear is leaps and bounds above the Cochlear!  Not to say Oticon is better - but the Cochlear left me with a horrible taste in my mouth!

Here's what I learned:  with the BAHA I could "tell" when my audiologist stood and spoke to me in different places in the room (envision a clock face) and I was able to estimate about where she was.  I agree with Clarice - about the "real life" settings being different from an sound booth.  PLUS they're only creating a fake - sound only direction - not the "real thing" as it were.

I learned that because the BAHA does NOT use the good ear ear drum (like the Cros does), your brain is able to "sense" direction or sound source as being different because it's your brain.  When I put on the Cros and she did the same thing, I could NOT tell where she was. 

The Cros would be nice for those that cannot have the surgery to implant the abutment - and it is an amazing device - BUT it has definite drawbacks so far that I can see.  Mostly which have to do with its size being quite delicate and the placement on the ear being very light and easy to fall off.

So at this point - I'm leaning towards the BAHA - right now specifically the Oticon Ponto which I have here to demo.  (the REALLY cool thing is that I was able to put them both on my husband's ear and show him what I'm hearing!)

Will be testing both all weekend.  Will also post in the Cros discussion the specifics about it as well.

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »
Pam -

I have a BP100 (Cochlear) which is comparable to the Oticon Ponto Pro.  Prior to the BP100 I had a Cochlear Divino, which was good but not nearly as good as the BP100.  Before getting my BP100 I demo'd it and the Ponto Pro; chose the BP100.

Liz -

Cochlear processors (BP100 aka BP3, and BP110) have volume controls like the Oticon processors.  And I have no sensitivity in my "good" ear.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LizAN

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 02:29:28 pm »
Jan,

Glad to know you don't have hearing sensitivity in your good ear.

I've been wondering - if you have one type of BAHA implant, does it work with other brands of processors?  Is the abutment universal?

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 04:17:32 pm »
The abutment isn't universal.  It used to be, but a couple of years ago Cochlear changed their "equipment" including the abutment.  So now you either have to go with Cochlear or Oticon.

So people like me who had the implant over 4 years ago have universal "equipment" and can wear either a Cochlear or an Oticon processor, but newbies have to choose.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 07:28:35 pm »

By hearing sensitivity, I meant hyperacusis.  I'm assuming the hyperacusis is in your good ear?  I have recruitment in my AN ear.  I'm assuming that will go away when I have translab, since it is caused by the hairs in the cochlea, which I will no longer have.  I'm planning to ask Dr. Slattery about that, next time I talk to him.

Clarice, when you had translab, did they sever your cochlear nerve as well as your vestibular nerve on the AN side?  Is that what they normally do?

Liz

Liz .....

There is an excellent description of each of the treatment options on the ANAUSA home page:  http://www.anausa.org/index.php/overview/treatment-options

I am totally deaf in my AN ear so yes, the hyperacusis is in my only hearing ear.  It is my understanding that with a translabyrinthine approach to AN removal, all of the inner ear is removed, including the cochlea.  That is why those of us having that approach are not candidates for cochlear implants and we are permanently and totally deaf in that ear.

In my case, due to a combination of massive "radium" doses to my nasopharynx area when I was a teenager, and having had three craniotomies, I no longer have working vestibular nerves on either side.  Therefore, I am totally dependent upon my vision and sensorineuro motor responses (feet & leg muscles primarily) to maintain my balance.  That means in the dark, when I lose my visual assistance, I cannot stay upright with only one of three parts to the balance system available to me.

Clarice
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:00:17 am by CHD63 »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:36 am »
Most BAHA users aren't candidates for CI's (cochlear implants) - because our hearing loss is different from those who require CIs.

Also, CIs are generally for those who are bilaterally (double-sided) deaf, while BAHAs are generally for those who are unilaterally (single-sided) deaf.

I had the retrosigmoid approach and have no idea if I have a cochlea on my left side or not, but since the BAHA works through bone conduction it doesn't really matter.

Jan