Author Topic: Nutrition, Diet and Tumors? Any experience?  (Read 11596 times)

Justin McNabb

• 33yrs old, NF2, 2.8cm AN on right, 1.8cm on left
Nutrition, Diet and Tumors? Any experience?
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:30:12 pm »
Hi, I recognize that the medical world has only two answers for AN (outside of watch and wait) - Surgery and/or Radiation.  I am open to these of course, but I have read a lot of material lately arguing that a raw diet, detoxing, and fasting has not only keep some tumors from growing, but actually shrunk them until they are gone in many cases.  I just talked to a lady this last week who said she made her tumor go away by only eating a raw vegan diet.  While this might not be easy, if it works then it sure is easier then surgery and or radiation. 

Does anybody have any experience with this?  Has anybody made drastic changes to your diet?...gone all vegan raw, etc.  Any success or otherwise?  I am deciding now what course of treatment I would like to pursue!!

Also,  in your experience, how long did you wait from diagnosis to surgery/radiation and how many MRI's did you have to see if it was growing or not?

Thank you so much!!

Justin

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
Re: Nutrition, Diet and Tumors? Any experience?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:29:23 am »
Hi, I recognize that the medical world has only two answers for AN (outside of watch and wait) - Surgery and/or Radiation.  I am open to these of course, but I have read a lot of material lately arguing that a raw diet, detoxing, and fasting has not only keep some tumors from growing, but actually shrunk them until they are gone in many cases.  I just talked to a lady this last week who said she made her tumor go away by only eating a raw vegan diet.  While this might not be easy, if it works then it sure is easier then surgery and or radiation. 

Does anybody have any experience with this?  Has anybody made drastic changes to your diet?...gone all vegan raw, etc.  Any success or otherwise?  I am deciding now what course of treatment I would like to pursue!!

Also,  in your experience, how long did you wait from diagnosis to surgery/radiation and how many MRI's did you have to see if it was growing or not?

Thank you so much!!

Justin

Hopefully a Mickey on here in the W & W section changed his habits in eating, exercising and started on numerous vitamins and his tumor has not grown and it is over 5 years now ? Just lucky or did the vitamins help but I too started with some of the vitamins he is taking it is worth a try !

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

mk

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:10 pm »
Look for Tumbleweed's posts. He did research nutrition/diet approaches thoroughly and implemented a regime similar to what you mentioned for a few months, before getting treatment. His posts on the subject are most enlightening.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:24 am »
Hiya Justin
IMO as long as you keep being seen by your doctors to make sure your AN is indeed shrinking or, in the least, not growing, then anything that gives you a positive outlook in this journey is worth a try.'

I ate healthily from 2004, lost 50.8kg, exercised, and supplemented with vitamins.  2 years ago in July 2010 - no warning until I felt tingling and lost my hearing in one day - I had a 4cm AN that had to come out ASAP.  In my case nothing prevented this from happening.  I only had the one MRI.

If you haven't been diagnosed then I'd do that now so you have a measurement to start from.

Best wishes,
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:46 am »
I just talked to a lady this last week who said she made her tumor go away by only eating a raw vegan diet. 

Not to be harsh, but I have some ocean-front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

Being positive is a great idea, and a raw vegan diet is certainly healthy, but don't illude yourself into thinking that it will make your AN go away.

That just isn't going to happen.  Radiation can kill it, surgery can remove it, but changing your diet will not eliminate it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »
Justin ~

I concur with Jan's observation regarding the efficacy of diet being an 'alternative' solution to dealing with an acoustic neuroma.  Eating healthy certainly won't do you any harm but depending on a raw veggie diet to control or eliminate your AN could prove disappointing if not downright risky.  I would try the raw vegan diet if you believe it will help but don't depend on it to magically shrink or eliminate the tumor.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »
Justin

I had had great hopes that changing my diet, my life style, etc would shrink my AN or at least stop it from growing.  That didn't work, it grew 3mm in 5 months.

I've had 3 MRI's (all with contrast) in the past 6 months.  Getting a collection of CD's but unfortunately not the right kind of CD's.

There are great stories on this forum of people who have had luck - be it from diet or whatever but like the others have posted here, I would not put all my hope & health in that one basket.

Stay on top of the AN with regular doctor appointments & be sure to mention the slightest change in anything related to the head, ears, balance, etc.  That's what clued my doctor in. 

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

chance1212

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 11:12:15 am »
Karen--How did you choose how to treat your AN? Just curious mine is growing much like yours--4mm in 7 months after diagnosis in July 2011.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

chloes mema

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
Chance1212

FEAR! 

I so did not want brain surgery or gamma knife because they are both invasive procedures so that left cyber knife and wait and watch.  I am absolutely the world's biggest chicken when it comes to pain, I can't even listen to someone talking about their hang nail I turn green and nearly pass out.  If you've read any of my other threads you'll understand that CK was enough of a trauma for me.

My neurotologist said I could stay on W&W but he would not recommend it.  All three of my doctors, ENT, neurotologist, and oncologist, said I needed surgery.  I said talk to the hand!  When I went back to the neurotologist he explained all my options so between him, my husband and myself we decided CK was my better option.  I know CK is not without its risk, I've certainly started with side effects after only one session.  So far the side effects are mild but noticable.

Before I learned that my tumor was on a rapid growth path I had done a lot of research on surgery, GK, and CK so I wasn't just being a chicken.  I found it interesting that the neurotologist said there is only one GK machine in our area and it is very old; that in itself would keep from doing GK here, I'd go else where.

Also, my previous neurosurgeon had wanted me to do Novalis.  I did a lot of research and soul searching on that one and decided CK was the better option.

Sorry I've gone on so much but hope this gives you some insight.

Karen 

Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »
Chance1212

FEAR! 

I so did not want brain surgery or gamma knife because they are both invasive procedures so that left cyber knife and wait and watch.  I am absolutely the world's biggest chicken when it comes to pain,

I had AN surgery (retrosigmoid) and had no pain.  Didn't take even one painkiller post op - and I don't think I'm the only on the Forum.

AN surgery doesn't necessary mean pain.  Strange, I know, but true.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Justin McNabb

• 33yrs old, NF2, 2.8cm AN on right, 1.8cm on left
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 02:00:29 pm »
Thanks everybody for your input.  I am doing my best to be responsible with the body I have, get educated and choose something that my conscience can handle.   I have met with doctors at both Standford and House Ear Clinic as well as a couple of naturopaths, nutritionists, chiropractors and other alternative experts.  I am currently 3 months into my "natural approach."  I have set goals for the middle of August to get another MRI and re-evaluate progress to see if it is working.  I have developed a natural treatment plan that seems to be pretty comprehensive to me and will see if I can get this tumor to shrink!!  I will let you know if it works (so as to help others) and will let you know if it doesn't, as it will mean that I would likely end up in a trans-lab surgery that would leave me deaf on one side. 

On a side note - while not nearly as important as getting rid of this tumor, since starting this natural approach, my seasonal and food allergies have all but disappeared, blood pressure has gone down, I have a lot more energy, I sleep better, feel better and have lost 20 lbs.  But we will see if it does anything for tumors!!

Justin (Jared)

chloes mema

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 04:25:51 pm »
Justin

Good for you!  Hope this works for you and then maybe others can use the same approach.  Even if it does nothing for the tumor at least you're a lot healthier for it.  Keep up the good work.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 09:51:07 am »
Dear Jared,

I found this to be extremely helpful thank you for the suggestion. We could all use a helpful low fat diet in my book. Personally, I'm sick and tired of all the prepared foods and wonder if the food industry as a whole is responsible.

But it is NOT, only we are responsible for what goes into our own mouths! Thank you for shining the light of day on this subject. Kudos to you, Jared! Profound thanks as well!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Mickey

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 12:43:46 pm »
Hi there.. First time I`ve noticed this post.  W+W 5 years now "stable" 1cm AN. Yes, I`ve looked up and incorporated everthing I thought worthwhile into a healthy lifestyle. I figured why not try and do something positive instead of just sitting around Waiting and Watching? So far so good and wouldd be happy to continue this way forever. Please look at our many posts in the Wait + Watch brigade, etc. to get some insight. Best wishes, Mickey

It is what it is

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 07:58:22 pm »
I eat vegan (except for salmon), dairy free, gluten free, low fat, low sugar, organic, etc., and I still developed an AN as well as newly grown lipomas after a diagnosis of breast cancer last year. I feel great about eating healthy but it hasn't stopped tumors from growing in my body. I believe in healthy eating and treatment.

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.