Author Topic: Battered toes and feet  (Read 5046 times)

Ellen K

Battered toes and feet
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:46 pm »
Argh!  It happened again - I smashed my poor toes into the wall. In the past couple of years I've broken a toe and had numerous problems with misjudging where corners, walls and other obstacles are, resulting in toe and foot injuries. I don't think its a balance thing, and am unsure if it's related to my AN. Does anyone else have this problem?
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.

westcoastroller

Re: Battered toes and feet
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:03:13 pm »
Half of the time when I walk through a doorway I misjudge and bang my shoulder. (Can be embarrassing) I 've been doing this for a few years now.  I always thought I was really clumsy.  I was diagnosed with 1.3 cm AN in March 2012.   Maybe thats why!
1.3 cm rs diagnosed Feb 23, 2012

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:30:57 am »
I've had balance/equilibrium problems and/or what we call wonky head for a couple years, starting in the month or two before CK treatment.

I'm going through another phase right now where I'm pretty clear headed and not very stumbly.  I've hit lots of door frames HARD with my shoulder over the past two years.  If only I could stay as clear headed as I've been over the past month, I could live with it . . .

Hang in there, it does get better for lots of us.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:03:38 pm »
Dear Ellen,

Youch! That must have hurt a lot! I should know, I've done it myself twice!
Broke my third toe on the right foot the last time. Happened around 2 years ago, it pays to be careful and pay attention to where you're walking to especially when walking through doorways. Like old Bill says "I feel your pain!"

Hobblin with ya!

Mike

PS. ICE HELPS!
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »
Me, too...but from my husband & I trying to learn how to waltz :o 

But, seriously, I have actually had more trouble w/ bruised arms from running into door jams and walls than feet trouble...tough being a bit drunklike in broad daylight ;)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Ellen K

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:58:16 pm »
Thanks everyone!  I also bang my shoulders all the time on door frames. So incredibly annoying. Today I had one of those days when I actually kind of longed for a cane (haven't had to use one so far), so maybe my balance is worse than I realized. Think I'll get my eyesight checked too.
How did I go from flamenco dancing to this?!  Geesh.
I feel so much better knowing I'm not crazy. Thanks.
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:24:14 am »
Hi Ellen
Do you wear glasses?
I have 2 blessed things to add to my wonkyness - glaucoma and the beginning of cataracts.
Since my AN surgery nearly 2 years ago, my eyesight has diminished rather quickly in the AN eye and I also kick things.

Have you had the checks for glaucoma and cataracts?

Or maybe we should both learn to look down LOL

Best wishes,
Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Lynn Mc

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:18 am »
Hi Ellen,

You are definitely not alone.  My shoulders are always bruised!!!  I also wear something on my feet all the time.  Never walk barefoot as my toes have taken a beating.  I can still manage to nail them pretty good through the shoes!!!
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Lou

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 01:47:04 pm »
Epiphany moment. I am so glad you made this post! I never thought about it but I am always breaking toes. Once I broke my little toe in three places and dislocated it...... It isn't just me!
Lou x
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system