Author Topic: How to wear hair for translab surgery?  (Read 5477 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
How to wear hair for translab surgery?
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:32 am »
I know this is a really random question and probably a little trite in the overall scheme of things but I was wondering how I should wear my hair the day of surgery? I know that I'll be getting part of it shaved and I'm assuming the surgeons will probably want it up and out of the way so any suggestions from those of you ladies who have had your surgeries already? And how did you wear your hair after to cover up the bald spot?
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

cindyj

Re: How to wear hair for translab surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:00:14 pm »
No, not a trite question at all...hair has been quite the topic around here often :D  I have long hair and did not do anything with it the day of surgery.  They will take care of getting it out of their way.  As far as the shaving, it is really not as much as you would think.  It is usually just a "line" about an inch or so wide and 6 inches or so long (if that much) and it's only the underneath layer of hair that is shaved, if that makes sense.  It never showed when I wore my hair down.  Did show a bit when it was growing out when I wore a pony tail, but I really didn't care :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:16:48 pm »
Amanda .....

As we often say on here ..... no question is trite or silly ..... all are valid concerns.

I'm not sure what the protocol is at Cleveland Clinic with your surgeon there, but with all three of my craniotomies (all in different states with different surgeons), I was instructed to shampoo my hair thoroughly the morning of surgery with plain shampoo (one specifically with Phisohex) and use no other hair products.  I did nothing else and left my hair the length I normally wear it.  Hardly anyone knew I had just had brain surgery.  My hair completely covered it on the retrosigmoid surgeries especially.  The translab was a little more noticeable because I also had the Ponto abutment, which was a little higher up so more shaved.  Still virtually unnoticeable.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:24:49 pm »
Thanks ladies! I'm worried because I wear my hair up a lot and when I don't straighten it it's really short and curly and I was just afraid it would be really noticeable. And my hair's not super thick either...It sounds like I should be okay though.
I don't know the exact protocol yet for shampoos and such for pre-surgery but I meet with my doctor and the neurosurgeon at the beginning of April and I'm sure we'll discuss all that then.
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:32:06 pm »
You look very young from your photo. When you have a translab surgery, they take a small sliver of fat from your abdomen and place it in your skull to fill up the site of the surgery. Your question about the hair made me think you are concerned about how your hair will look, so I thought I might warn you about the fat transfer. Talk to your surgeon about where to harvest the fat. They left an ugly looking scar right next to my navel. If I was a young lady...I'm not...just a grandpa...and I was concerned about my hair, I might want to avoid the abdominal scar. It might not look all that great in a two piece. I'm sure if you bring it up, the doctor will find a better place that right in the middle of your stomach.

James

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:58:58 am »
I hadn't thought about that, James. I will most certainly bring that up at my next appointment. My doctor told me to bring a list of questions/concerns with me to discuss prior to surgery so that will definitely be one of them. Thanks!

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 10:35:32 am »
James,

I talked to my doctor about getting the fat harvested from my abdomen and she said that yes I would have a scar. She didn't say how big or ugly it would be so I'm afraid I'll just have to deal with whatever I end up with. Since I'm fairly thin and don't have much abdominal fat she said she might end up taking the fat from the area just below my hip which would make the scar more discreet. But she said she won't make the decision whether to take it from my hip or abdomen until the day of. So I won't know where she took it from until I wake up after surgery. I'm not too worried about it though since I'm only in a two piece a few months out of the year. lol And my brothers (I have 6 of them) will think having a scar is very cool.  :)

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:00:23 am »
The scar isn't real big.     A little over an inch.   Think on women they take it below the waistline so doesn't show later.      I have 2 due to CSF leak and are good 2" below belly button.             Usually on left side in case of doing appy someday.           Do not get scared of my mention of CSF leak.       A new product was being tried to help hold the tumor removed area in place and so scar tissue would take hold.     3 people got leaks so they went back to the previously used type.
There may or may not be a little rubber drain in it.    She wasn't there as a fellow yet with my last surgery.  She would have came that July to start.    So don't know her protocol.                Just dont take tight pants to wear home.                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

kixit

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:36 am »
Manders,

When my doctor told me he would be "harvesting" fat from my lower left abdomen I was all for for it. I even volunteered extra for future patients.  ;D  He laughed and said he would just take what was needed. And here I thought I could possibly get a discounted liposuction along with my translab and BAHA. LOL

Please post your experiences here about your surgery and recovery. Mine is May 24th, so right close to yours. I wish the best for your surgery and a swift recovery. I am stoked about my surgery. I guess because I have researched extensively and I know what to kind  of to expect (I've even watched videos on youtube). I just want the bugger (AN) out of my head and to be able to hear again (SSD left ear).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:29:55 am by kixit »
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

Manders

• Awkward Turtles
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »
That's a good point, Cheryl, about the tight pants. I hadn't even considered that. I've been so caught up with what'll be going on with my head after surgery. lol I'll definitely have to add comfy pants to my pre-surgery checklist.

Kixit, I wish you all the best on your surgery too! I keep a blog (the web address is in my signature) and I'll be posting updates on there in addition to the forum so feel free to have a look. :)