Author Topic: pulsating sound in nonsurgerial ear  (Read 15075 times)

par

pulsating sound in nonsurgerial ear
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »
For the last ten days, I have been having a pulsating sound in my hearing ear when I am lying down. At first, the sound started out like almost a puff, puff, puff. (I know. It is bizarre.) The sound continues to change; it can resemble a squeaky toy at times, and it is often at a faster pace. The volume could be considered equivalent to a loud whisper. The sound continues until I change position.
My ENT and audiologist both said that they have never heard of this before. I had an audiogram just a few days ago, and my hearing is fine.  My ENT is suggesting that I have an MRI. My last one was in November 2011.
Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if “yes,” what caused it?
Diagnosed 10/2008 no symptoms/found by accident
Mild hearing loss 6/2011
Lost hearing suddenly just prior to scheduled surgery
Left retrosigmoid 8/2011
1cm x 8mm
facial nerve saved, ssd, tinnitus same side

grammyslim

Re: pulsating sound in nonsurgerial ear
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »
I have had similar happenings but decided it was my pulse - so I keep my wrist away from my head while lying down.
 :-*
1.4 cm diagnosed 01/12
significant hearing loss rt side
total balance loss rt side - AN side -
left side already compensated (who knew)
Radiation completed May 2012 - all systems are GO -- so happy I chose radiation near home.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:49:51 am »
There is a form of tinnitus referred to as "pulsating" tinnitus.  I have had it many many times over the years. Speaking for myself only, I find when I am exceptionally over-stressed, it enhances (usually after a long day filled with stresses), so in nighttime hours, I feel it more.

Again, only speaking to my own experiences.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

par

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:31:12 am »
Thank you for your input. "Pulsating" tinnitus was mentioned as a possibility by one of the nurses I spoke to on the phone. (I haven't seen my out of state ENT yet so this will be discussed in more detail when I do.) You mentioned you felt it more during times of stress. Since retiring recently, I'm fortunate to be in a fairly stress free zone.

When you did experience this, did the pitch of the sound go quite high? It is almost a screeching sound at times for me. Of course, I can easily flip to my other side and I don't hear it any longer! I would, however, love to find out that it is not a symptom of another hearing problem. Can you give me an idea of how long your episodes lasted (days, weeks)? 
Mild hearing loss 6/2011
Left retrosigmoid 8/2011
1cm x 8mm

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:41:25 pm »
That's one of the sounds I get in my "good ear". I started having problems with this a couple of years ok, hearing tested fine and MRI clear, ENT thought it was a sympathy tinnitus for the other ear......the good ear providing noise for that missing in the bad ear. Sometimes it sounds like a ringing phone, sometimes a pulse andlots of times it sounds like when you hold a large shell to your ear. It is mostly noticable when I lie down and it sometimes makes it hard to get to sleep. I am trying very hard to ignore it. I had it for a couple of years before I had an MRI so hopefully if there was something there it would have showed on the MRI. Of cource one always remains with the thought "what if it's NF2 and I have another tumor". I try my best to ignore it.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

sunfish

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:01:56 am »
I also had a similar symptom in AN ear.  However, it proved to be an inner ear muscle spasm.  When that teeny tiny muscle spasmed, it made a thump-thump-thump sound.  It was weird, but only lasted a few weeks, on and off.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

par

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:19:00 pm »
I’m going to copy your responses and show them to my ENT. Not that he doesn’t believe me (I’m still planning the out of state visit to see him), but I feel more credible knowing that others have had similar experiences. Just over the weekend, in addition to the sounds in my hearing ear, I had swooshing, vacuum type sounds in my AN ear. (Sometimes it feels a bit like being in a science fiction movie!)
I’m happy to hear that all is well for both of you right now. I certainly understand, especially since the sounds continue for you Kathleen_Mc , that we all have to be ever vigilant. 
Thanks for your responses. I’m breathing a little easier right now.
Mild hearing loss 6/2011
Left retrosigmoid 8/2011
1cm x 8mm

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 05:13:39 pm »
I just found your post and wondered if you ever pursued this? My tumor was removed in 2011. Since then I have experienced the very same thing: a swooshing, vacuum sound in my AN ear. It is followed many times by a lightheaded feeling. Almost like how you feel right before you fall asleep, sort of like falling (not that dramatic sounding). It’s hard to describe but like I said, it’s very close to how one feels right before they drop off to sleep. It can be very distressing. I’ve noticed too when I cry or sing, I hear almost like a door slamming in my AN ear. That’s hard to describe too, but I’m wondering if you hear or feel anything when you cry or sing? It’s like there’s a pressure in the ear. Anyway, hope you are doing well.

I’m going to copy your responses and show them to my ENT. Not that he doesn’t believe me (I’m still planning the out of state visit to see him), but I feel more credible knowing that others have had similar experiences. Just over the weekend, in addition to the sounds in my hearing ear, I had swooshing, vacuum type sounds in my AN ear. (Sometimes it feels a bit like being in a science fiction movie!)
I’m happy to hear that all is well for both of you right now. I certainly understand, especially since the sounds continue for you Kathleen_Mc , that we all have to be ever vigilant. 
Thanks for your responses. I’m breathing a little easier right now.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

tsaff88

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 02:21:28 pm »
Just saw this.  I've had a similar pulsating in my AN ear ever since translab surgery 7 years ago. It happens at night. Some nights are worse than others, but it wakes me up one or more times nearly every night. Sometimes I have to walk around to make it stop. Sometimes just opening my eyes makes it go away. The severity does seem to be related to the weather and seasons. It was terrible for a time after periodontal work on the AN side. One ENT suggested that it might be cranial fluid filling the empty spot in my head. She suggested a wedge pillow, which has helped. Considering the possibility of post-surgical nerve damage this isn't too bad.