Author Topic: Why do I have to go to a neurotologist BEFORE I can have CK?  (Read 4657 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Why do I have to go to a neurotologist BEFORE I can have CK?
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:58:48 am »
The oncologist office called this morning said I will be accepted as a patient for CK but before he will do anything I must go see the neurotologist.

Anyone know why? 

Just curious and more so because my husband and daughter are hounding me for this info.

I've left a message with the oncologist nurse but haven't heard back.  Nurse just called, she said she didn't know why but that the oncologist consulted with the neurotologist and they both agreed I should be seen.  I'm wondering if it's because the oncologist wanted me to go see the neurotologist to learn about having surgery and I said no I wasn't interested.  My husband wants me to call the oncologist directly.

Karen

P.S.  I'm starting to get really nervous now that it's really taking shape.  (no pun intended)  :D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:19:52 am by chloes mema »
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Bonnie B.

Re: Why do I have to go to a neurotologist BEFORE I can have CK?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:22 am »
Karen,
The neurotologist works with the neurosurgeon.  I agree with you that if you are NOT going the surgery route, why waste your time.   
Keep me posted.

Bonnie
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

chloes mema

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:18 am »
OK, so I got my courage up and called the oncologist on his cell phone.  He said it's not to talk to you about surgery because I know you're not doing that but that he needs an otologist to consult with for the mapping etc.  He said he always works with an otologist for AN to know what nerves are affected etc.  Which is what I thought.

Also, someone is going to have to follow me after CK and after the oncologist "let's me go" so I suspect that is part of it.

OK so now I guess I feel better.  (not really, getting more nervous by the minute)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Bonnie B.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 05:19:14 pm »
Hi Karen,
Maybe CK is different from GK because when I had the GK treatment it was a radiology oncologist, a neurosurgeon and neurophysicist who did all of the mapping.

When I saw the neurotologist he said he worked with the neurosurgeon during the surgery.   So, maybe the procedures are done differently from state to state or GK vs CK.

1.7 cm AN left
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

chloes mema

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:55:49 am »
Hi Bonnie,

Don't know about the difference.  Went to Tampa Bay Hearing and Balance Center website and Dr. Bartels seems to be the "go to" guy for this kind of stuff.  He did a year fellowship at HEI back in 1980 and he is listed as surgery, neurology, and radiology.  There is so much listed on him I wouldn't live long enough to read it all.  ;D

Also, I know "these" doctors, my ENT included, all work together out of the same "group" so I'm sure that's why the oncologist insisted I go back to see Dr. Bartels.  It's going to be interesting because I told Dr. Greenberg I didn't like Dr. Bartels then found out that they are "buds".  I suspect that Dr. Greenberg mentioned that little bit of info to Dr. Bartels. 

Anyway, the appointment is made for Dr. Bartels on the 16th then Dr. Greenberg's nurse is suppose to call me on the 18th and then....

So I do know that Dr. Bartels, Dr. Greenberg, and a neurophysicist will be in conjunction plus I got the imprecision (sp?) that there would be other people also.  I'll let you know.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

lrobie

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:59:17 am »
Karen,

The neurotologist that I've been seeing at UPMC is the one who recommended CK for me.  I believe they are more trained in the area where the nerves are involved.  My neurotologist is an ENT doctor.  I know you already got your answer, but I don't think it necessarily means that surgery is being pushed when you are seeing a neurotologist.  As a matter of fact, I believe that Dr. Lunsford and Kondziolka are both neurosurgeons who do Gamma Knife at UPMC.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

chloes mema

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:25:17 pm »
Lisa

Dr. Greenberg said he always consults with a neurotologist or neurosurgeon to make sure he knows what nerves are involved and which ones to avoid etc. 

I've made the appt & now I'm at peace with it (at least for another week).   ;)

Thanks for the info, it's always good to hear from others.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back