Author Topic: NYC Surgeons Recommended in CT/NYC area  (Read 12973 times)

wfuvbeanhead

NYC Surgeons Recommended in CT/NYC area
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:49:36 am »
Hi- I was just diagnosed with a large AN. Its over 3cm and fills my entire canal. Surgery is the only option. I have spoken to the drs. at the House Clinic. Obviously they seem like an excellent choice. However, I would prefer to stay more local. Can anyone recommend a surgeon in NYC or metropolian area? Thank you.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: NYC Surgeons Recommended in CT/NYC area
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »
Kirsten ~

Check your PM box.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wfuvbeanhead

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:30:30 am »
I received your message. Thank you very much-- I appreciate it. Meeting Dr. Goodrich tomorrow.

millie

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:50:19 pm »
Hi Beanhead-
Sorry you , like me, have an acoustic neuroma, but happy that we have found this forum.
I too am in the Long Island area so will go to NYC.  I am wondering which surgeons/hospital you are considering.  Will you go to Langone?

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:38:27 am »
I am going to NY Langone and will meet with Dr. Golfino in May I had already met with Dr. Roland and was very impressed by him.  Good Luck

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:43:47 am »
Hi- I was just diagnosed with a large AN. Its over 3cm and fills my entire canal. Surgery is the only option. I have spoken to the drs. at the House Clinic. Obviously they seem like an excellent choice. However, I would prefer to stay more local. Can anyone recommend a surgeon in NYC or metropolian area? Thank you.

A couple that I have heard and has more experience with these are Dr. Sisti he works alone I believe, Dr. Golfino/Dr. Roland they work together  ... hoping one of them will be a good choice..I had Drs. Stieg and Selesnick and if you would like to PM me for additional information I will be more than happy to help.

Best Wishes,

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:56:52 am by pjb »

Mickey

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:39:59 am »
I reccommend Dr`s Roland and Golfinos. Have been with them 5 years W+W and follow their history which is all good and state of the art. Experienced and in their prime...Best wishes, Mickey

mandy721

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:37:39 pm »
I will throw another team into the mix, Dr Philip Gutin at Sloan Kettering who partners with Dr. Selesnick at Cornell for acoustic neuroma surgeries. Most of the  members of our local ANA NYC support group have used all of the doctors mentioned above; Dr. Sisti was my husband's surgeon. 
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:43:59 am »
I will throw another team into the mix, Dr Philip Gutin at Sloan Kettering who partners with Dr. Selesnick at Cornell for acoustic neuroma surgeries. Most of the  members of our local ANA NYC support group have used all of the doctors mentioned above; Dr. Sisti was my husband's surgeon.

Hi, Mandy how are "you" and Ken doing hope you enjoyed your Holiday...I forgot all about Dr. Gutin but the other one I did not want to mention if they wanted to PM me I would have explained in detail...I was not aware of the last NY meeting until the last minute is there one in June would hope to be there and spend a little more time with you.

Best Wishes,

JAndrews

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »
Thomas Roland was a highly recommended to me after my diagnosis..
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 06:25:07 pm »
Roland & Golfinos.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:30:20 pm »
Respectfully speaking I have done research with 14 Doctors in and out of the NYC area and in my considered opinion Dr.Sisti is one of the best in the business in addition to being a very personable, honest man. You should give him a call if you want to debulk your tumor without damaging your facial nerve, he did mine in 2004. Now I have to back for Gamma Knife. Look him up he works at NY Presbytarian Hospital.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Blags

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 06:10:11 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with dr. Boockvar and brown at weill Cornell in NYC?
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian

millie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 07:27:40 am »
Blags-
I too am watch and wait but acting after September 7 my son's wedding. 
Some doctors only operate on the bigger tumors.  I don't know anything about Cornell Weill for AN's although my daughter was there routinely for another issue.  It's a great place.
I am looking at Columbia Presbyterian, (Sisti and gamma) and then NYU  (Roland Golfinos) and MT. Sinai (Smouha/Post)  I thought about Johns Hopkins but don't want to travel that far if I need to see doctors more regularly.
You are on LI.  I think NYC has some great facilities.    I have also read on this forum that Winthrop has a Dr. Haas who does CK and he is supposed to be great.
I think the success rate for radiation is about 95 percent; However I think surgery has the best shot at eliminating  the feeling of fullness and disequilebrium. As for hearing loss and earringing-I guess those are givens but then we are blessed that this is benign.
Hang in there.
(Another issue is insurance.  Some doctors don't take Empire Blue Cross/Shield-but they do take Medicare-that is why I am waiting till October 1.  My little bugger grew 2 mm in five months.  )
Millie

Blags

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22:19 am »
Hi Millie-
Thanks for your response. I have seen Sisti (he wants to wait, then possibly radiate). I don't want to do radiation bc I think I will still have my dizzy/ balance issues since tumor will still be sitting on my vestibular nerve.
Saw Selesnick and Gutin and they recommend retro sigmoid but do not need to rush to operate.
Boockvar recommends middle foss approach which I think I feel most comfortable with.
When it comes to approaches I know the dr recommends what they are most comfortable doing.
Was thinking of seeing NyUs drs but don't know if 4 opinions is going to make this process more confusing for me.

BLags
Oct 2012 - 1.4cm AN removed retro sigmoid with Dr. Boockvar and Dr. Brown at Weill Cornell NY Presbyterian