Author Topic: Gamma Knife scars  (Read 16599 times)

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Gamma Knife scars
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 10:30:04 am »
JWW,

I meant that you have to undergo (in CK) multiple treatments 10 to 15 and through this site I have learned that the mask can be tight fitting. Each time it is reapplied it has to be screwed down to prevent the wearer from moving. As well the chemo drugs, which help with the nausea.

Whereas, in GK, you only have a minimal exposure (for me it was 40 minutes) and 4 pin sized holes, which heal quickly. In GK, I had no nausea hence no drugs. Only a small dose of Ativan to relax me.

My wife who is a breast cancer survivor(20 years ago) took Ativan every time she underwent chemotherapy. Ativan has a reputation for being a short term memory erasing drug. I took it only by mouth (in 2012) as a small pill. Given in such a small dose it has the effect of relaxing you, believe me I remember all 40 minutes!

In 1992, as I remember, they gave my wife a whole bag full that was dripping into her vein in her arm. I accompanied her many times into Memorial-Sloan Kettering for her treatments. It was a faith shaking time for us both!

Then as more recently, we had the expert Doctors and God to rely on to get us through tough times and now in 2012 I have the endless support of all of my AN friends!

Mike

Be well in your respective journeys, have faith, there is healing ahead!

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

JWW

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 12:59:18 pm »
Mike, I believe you are wrong about that many multiple treatments for CK. Now, they do it in 3.
Also, there are no "chemo drugs" per say. You will have to take a small course of steroids for the side effects of radiation and to help reduce swelling.

I am having SRS (=to GK) one treatment soon using the mask and it is no big deal. Please don't scare people. Check your facts.

JW

MDemisay

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 01:40:32 pm »
JWW,

For clarification purposes, I meant that multiple applications of the mask(which has to be reapplied each time) might make it more of a pain than is physically tolerable. In point of fact, the anti-nausea meds alone would make the experience less than tolerable, giving them day after day for a period of 10 to 15 days!

All I am trying to say is to choose well which of the 2 forms of radiation that you wish to undergo....My scars have faded after 3 weeks. It seems that GK is the least impactful in the short run.....

IMHO

Mike

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!

JWW

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 03:17:22 pm »
Mike, if a person can tolerate the mask, why do you make it sound like such a big deal?

Most of the times for GK, steroids are used for 10days in a tapering manner for side effects.
Did you not take any steroids or do it without them?

JW

MDemisay

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 06:00:16 pm »
JW,

I did not want to appear rude at all! On the contrary, I wanted to say that since I am a big baby and I could not see myself enduring pain for a long time, it made a whole lot of sense for me to choose the one shot method over the prolonged method of multiple dose FSR treatment.

I weighed it very carefully! I read about the CK treatment from my close friend Chloes Mema.

The whole point being when one has to undergo radiation, one should have a choice either\or shouldn't one?

People, you have chosen to act, make your choice but you should always operate from knowledge and experience of those who have gone before if possible. Based on my personal experience (which I admit has been tainted by my wifes experience) I chose to go this route.

That is my experience, I have said before I am a huge chicken! I chose for my own reasons one shot (GK) radiation after a long time considering both (2 months)!

I am glad I did, and to your final question, the answer is no I did not have any steroids for side effects as there were none!

I am already SSD and have balance issues and walk with a cane, I should say that I am thinking more clearly than just before GK. People have noticed my change in attitude as well. Before GK, I used to think of the glass as half empty, now I think of the glass as being full and overflowing!

I am finally happy! I see things with more clarity and savor things for longer! It took an AN to finally force me to slow down and really look at things and rearrange things in my life!

It happens rarely in life, my friends, take advantage of this opportunity!

Life is not as limited as you think! You just have to take a new view of it!!

Ever the optimist,

Mike

JWW

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »
Mike, you don't get it. SRS is the same as GK......one zap!

You are confusing FSR (fractionated (multiple) treatments) with SRS, thus "single radiosurgery".

I'm curious as to whether your radiation oncologist EVEN suggested you take steroids??? and you JUST said NO!

JW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 06:27:45 pm »
Ok, time for me to step in... as a CK patient and as a Site Admin/Moderator.

CK masks are plastic mesh masks that are formed to the shape of one's face and far from uncomfortable, nor is it inconvenient.  CK can be done over 1 day, 3 day or 5 day for AN's, depending on each unique situation (mine was over 5 day yet, I know of many that had 1 day and 3 day).  One can comment that putting the screws/pins in one's head for GK can be quite a daunting thought when it isn't as well.  My NS, Dr. Elizabeth Claus, who also happens to be on the MAB of the ANA, reminded me that when they perform many types (but not all) brain surgeries, the head frame, much like GK, is used far beyond as its used in GK.

Bottom line and we're going to call this discussion a done deal......

There is no anti-nausea meds used when CK is done.... Ativan may be given at time of treatment to help calm one's nerves. Not all facilities use it.  If ANY radio patients (regardless if CK, GK, Trilogy, FSR, etc) experiences enhanced dizziness/vertigo, remember this....the AN is on the vestibular nerve, thus, medication such as Meclizine/Dramamine or low dose Valium MAY be prescribed to calm down the VIII cranial nerve post radiation to help keep things in check.

Know that CK AND GK are BOTH viable AN treatment options with long term data reflecting VERY high success rates, pretty much running neck and neck. The true bottom line is the desire of the patient if they want the headframe of the GK or the mask of the CK, which, in all honesty, did not bother me one iota.  I could see through it, had NO issue keeping my head still (cuz if they are going to zap my brain booger, I better hold still to make sure they hit the stinker!) and it is up to each patient to see within themselves to find what is the comfort level within to determine what will work best for their own unique situations.

Any questions to this can be directed via PM/email to me or any of the other moderators here (Jim Scott/Jaylogs/Joef) as we are here to help.

Please try to keep facts straight here. I'm already cranky and want to see an end to this please.

Thank you for listening. I return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Phyl
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 06:31:29 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MDemisay

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 07:57:25 am »
Dear JWW and Phyllis,

At this point,  it is I who must apologize, you see I was comparing basketballs with baseballs! I had no idea that SRS even existed! I understand now that it is a single dose!

I was comparing FSR treatment which I had come to understand as being multi dose (10 to 15) treatments. I also was lumping in a fear filled time between myself and my wife ( her aggressive breast cancer regimen) in error. That was 1992, this is 2012. They were treating breast cancer differently then. For that, I am sorry! I am only human, though and allowing for learning to take place, how could I subject my family to that again?

That being the case, single dose GK seemed to be my only choice.

Getting back to my original comparison of the basketball to the baseball. Breast cancer is not an Acoustic Neuroma. They are 2 separate animals.

It was to prevent the spread of BC that my wife was treated so aggressively with six months of chemotherapy and followed up with six months of radiation. It was a year of hell! Followed by a yearly follow up, which is another hell. Which her annual visit happens to coincide today (July 11) exactly one month after my GK visit!

An AN is a benign growth, it is not cancerous!

Again, I must apologize for my error in assuming that what was being compared was FSR to GK.

Finally, no steroid treatment was offered for there were no side effects.

JWW

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:42 am »
Oh no, no Mike.....let me be the one to apologize. I was way too hard on you. 8-(

I wish I didn't have to take the steroids but "they" say it is for the best!

I also, wish you and your wife good health! We are all in this together, one way or another.

JW

MDemisay

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 12:09:43 pm »
JWW,

Thanks!

Mike