Author Topic: CROS vs. SoundBite  (Read 28468 times)

missdiaz

Re: CROS vs. SoundBite
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »
Thanks Ross. I will take your advice into account and make sure I get them adjusted at my next appointment.
Left side AN 2.9x2.3x2.0 cm removed translab on 11/28/11 by Dr. Blevins at Stanford. Left side facial paralysis with no movement yet.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »
I seem to be posting on here AND my other topic, but wanted to share.....I had the Phonak CROS ordered today at my local audiologist.  I think she said about 10-14 days.    I have a 30 day trial.  The cost is $2,600 (no unlimited batteries) includes lifetime adjustments, cleanings, etc.   IF I decide to not keep them, it will cost me $200.   Bummed my insurance won't help either  :(

If you didn't answer this on my other post......
For those that DO have the newer CROS, do you have something IN the actual canal of the deaf side?  I was told I don't need anything to go into the canal of that side, just a thin clear tube will lay in part of the ear to keep it there.  But the hearing side WILL need a tube with a tip/plug thing on the end to go into that canal.   I was told there are different sizes, etc. available, so hopefully it isn't uncomfortable.

Do any of you wear glasses with them?  Does it bother you at all?   I tried a sample one on & couldn't even tell it was there.  Couldn't really see it hardly because of my hair AND it almost looked like part of my glasses  :D

Thanks
Denise S (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
Those that already have the Phonak CROS...what is the name of your actual device?  My audiologist ordered me the Cassia (I think petite size)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:28 am »
Those that already have the Phonak CROS...what is the name of your actual device?  My audiologist ordered me the Cassia (I think petite size)

I have the Audeo.
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 05:19:46 am »

I have the Audeo.

See this is where prices can vary too.  There are 3 options Audeo (III, V, IX) And 3 options of Phonak (Cassia, Salona, Ambra). I think these are in order of each from cheapest toots expensive....they offer more. 

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 05:57:08 am »
These are all Phonak devices. If you have normal hearing in our good ear, you don't need anything fancy and should go with the basic model. The Audeo is the most basic.
AN, 9 MM

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:59 am »
Yeah, they are all made by Phonak, just these were the names on the site I seen.  Sure a variety ;)

kaykay

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 01:02:10 pm »
Hi everyone...
I havent been on...been lingering lately.
I saw this thread and wanted to post on the Soundbite. I received mine in december....there were a few issues here and there with fit and programming....
but i have to say, its awesome! I can hear people typing, I realize Im not saying "huh" alot.
My insurance at the time covered 80%...through united healthcare.
I sometimes forget I am wearing it...when you first put it in, you talk alittle funny.....but after a few days your cheek muscles get use to it and it feels normal after awhile. same with the ear piece..I usually have to take it out a couple of times just to wipe my ear with a q-tip...but there never seems to be a wax buildup.
the hearing aspects.......great! i can go outside and listen to the birds chirp. my brain has sorta picked up on the direction of sound too...its wierd. but i can tell by the sound quality if its coming from the deaf side.
when i first went for the consultation they had me wear a headband like the BAHA to stimulate the noise i would hear........and after having the soundbite for about 6 months now, I can gladly say I am happy I got the soundbite and not another hole in my head. They are very similiar in sound quality
so if anyone is debating....definitely give soundbite a try. ;)
Kate

missdiaz

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 01:27:21 pm »
Denise, there is something that goes into both of your ear canals. The side with the good hearing has the wiring and the bad ear is clear plastic. They look the same in terms of shape and both go in your ear canals, it's just that one is clear and the other has color. (I'll email you a picture, since I cannot seem to find out to post it.)

I too felt nothing when I used the trail piece, however I found it very different from the actual devices themselves. I found that the part that goes into your ear canal is cut from the sample pieces. The part that goes into your ear canal carries all the weight. I do notice I have something in my ears and for the first three days my ears itched constantly. Maybe the feeling will fad with time since it's only been a week. It is not too bad wearing sunglasses, I have not had a problem however I have long hair and now notice that I cannot put my hair behind my ears. It just does not stay in place there any more.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:33:07 pm by missdiaz »
Left side AN 2.9x2.3x2.0 cm removed translab on 11/28/11 by Dr. Blevins at Stanford. Left side facial paralysis with no movement yet.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 06:42:08 pm »
missdiaz
Thanks for the email!  I think the way I follow is with the CROS the one with the clear tube & insert are your bad side, right?  If so, mine won't have the part in the ear, just the hook that goes on and in the top of the ear to anchor it on.   (someone described it like that on my other post of CROS vs BAHA)

I did go ahead and order a system Tuesday, so I'll find out soon ;)   I'm going to try to put up the picture here too:

THANKS,  ;)
Denise

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 07:00:44 pm »
missdiaz:

Here is a copy of the pic you sent me of the 2.  I added the colored circles and posted a question below the pics, can you answer them??......Maybe on that post/topic? 

THANKS again

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=17124.0

leeclinton

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:51 pm »
Mine is the Audeo Model.  My good ear works great, so I don't need any bells and whistles.  It works great!
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012

Mei Mei

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 04:21:10 pm »
What about CROS vs. TransEar?    I was ready to go down to Tenn to get fitted by Dr. Scumaier in Johnson City once my Medicare sets in.   I found out today that Medicare won't pitch in either.   The audiologist that I went to see for my father said they he hasn't had much luck with TransEar, but then maybe that is because he hasn't had much experience with it.   I've hear such goo d things about the TRANS EAR.   Should I do TransEar or Cros.   I can't do a BAHA as much as I love you, Jan.   It's just that I have Dhler's Danlos Syndrome and that make me a target for mega problems for an incision.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 04:52:52 pm »
Mei Mei - The good news about CROS is that you can test it out FULLY before committing to it.  You have nothing to lose by going to audiologist and having them program the CROS for your hearing.  You can give them a deposit and leave with the devices.  You can try them out any situation you choose.  If you like it, there may not be a need to look further.  If you don't, you can check out other options.  Since it's so easy to test, it seems like it's a great place to start.  That's what I did...checked out CROS before making a commitment to Soundbite which I couldn't test out at all.
AN, 9 MM

bobby_bbk

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »
I am new here and aslo got SSD for almost ten years in China. When i go  to hospital, the doctors always say there's no way to cure but to protect your good ear.Of course, Baha now can help us in china, while it costs too much (more than 10,000 dollars)  which many people can't afford it.Now i find that SoundBite could improve our hearing  on the internet.So i find the forum for more information.
I have two questions below ,please help me if you can:
I hope the BTE part of the SoundBite will be smaller like the CIC heari,ng aid in the ear canal, which it almost can't be seen by others because of i was only 25.  You konw, the CROS have made so smaller in the  ear. Is the BTE part can't be smaller in the ear canal??? 
The second question is how does  your insurance  cover your hearing aid in the USA,even SoundBite? In China, the insurance don't cover the hearing aid ,so it often costs too much to have a hearing aid.Thanks for your attention.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:50:13 am by bobby_bbk »