Author Topic: CROS vs. SoundBite  (Read 28465 times)

missdiaz

CROS vs. SoundBite
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »
I am just about 4 months post surgery and am now exploring my options in hearing aids to help my SSD. After spending many hours reading the forum, I wanted to know if any one had any updates to share on their experiences with the CROS system as well as the SoundBite. I have no interest in the Baha. From past posts, I noticed that there were problems with the size of CROS as well as some whistling nosies coming from the devices. After my audiology consolation this week, it appears that the size of CROS has been fixed, but how about the quality of sound? With the SoundBite, I noticed some on the forum had issues with the fit of the month piece or the ear piece had broke at one point. If anyone can comment on their current experience with sound quality, comfort, or durability, I would appreciate it. No need to comment on insurance issues or cost of the devices. Thank you!
Left side AN 2.9x2.3x2.0 cm removed translab on 11/28/11 by Dr. Blevins at Stanford. Left side facial paralysis with no movement yet.

leeclinton

Re: CROS vs. SoundBite
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:16:16 pm »
MissDiaz,
I am 3 months post op and also do not want to go with the BAHA, even though others on the forum have had good luck with it.  I am picking up my Phonak CROS aids this Friday for my 90-day free trial.  I'll let you know how they work out for me.

Lee
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:45 pm »
Lee;

I like the wisdom of your choice. Others may disagree, but after experiencing SSD for 35 years, and after so many trials of things,  I felt the extra apparatus just wasn't worth the hassle and got used to the SSD.
  Don eye glasses, a hearing aid, a cane, maybe pack a sound amplifier, and one starts feeling a bit more handicapped than they really are. Add advancing age and one really feels older.
  Just one persons opinion and experience... Not meaning to offend those who are happy with extraneous devices. I'm happy they  help them!

mk

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:34:19 am »

MissDiaz,
I am 3 months post op and also do not want to go with the BAHA, even though others on the forum have had good luck with it.  I am picking up my Phonak CROS aids this Friday for my 90-day free trial.  I'll let you know how they work out for me.

Lee

I am pretty well adjusted to the SSD and it  doesn't really bother me in everyday life/work, but I am quite interested in the option of the CROS aids, for these social situations/professional meetings etc, where I can't hear the person seating on my AN side. Lee, I am very interested to know how your trial goes, please keep us posted.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

missdiaz

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:24:00 pm »
That's great news Lee. Good luck and I look forward to getting an update.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:41:29 pm by missdiaz »
Left side AN 2.9x2.3x2.0 cm removed translab on 11/28/11 by Dr. Blevins at Stanford. Left side facial paralysis with no movement yet.

syman

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »
I am also 4 months post surgery and SSD.  I have been using the Sound Bite for less than 2 weeks.  There is definitely some adjustment to the ITM (in the mouth) part especially when eating.  It helps a lot in group setting and also with noisy environment.  Does not give you source of sound so that remains an occasional mystery.  I am taking the ITM out when not needed and also a quick rinse after eating.  Its getting easier to put in and also I am adapting to the feel.  Battery length seems to be as advertised, about 8 hours of usage for the ITM (you get two).   The sound quality is pretty good but you can tell it is not natural which is not surprising.  Hope this helps. :)

leeclinton

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »
OK.  So I had my audiologist appointment at 8am this morning and got my trial Phonak CROS aids.  They were programmed and I went on to work and wore them the remainder of the day.  Here are my observations after 9 hours of continuous use:
1.  They are extremely small and light.  I didn't even realize I had them in, and others didn't notice until I mentioned them.
2.  The sound quality is excellent.  It sounded like regular sound.  No tinniness, no robotic sound, etc.
3.  I went out to lunch with co-workers and didn't have to fret about which seat I got.  I was able to hear the person seated immediately to my left without issue.
4.  After work, my wife tried whispering in my deaf ear and she was amazed when I was able to repeat back what she said.

So far, I am extremely satisfied.  I will continue to wear these almost non-stop during this free trial of several months and will continue to report back as time passes.  For now I give them an A.

Lee

mk

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:38:21 pm »
Lee,

thank you for the very encouraging update. I have an appointment with my ENT on Monday, and for sure I will ask him about the CROS aids. I hope they are available in Canada.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

leeclinton

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »
CROS Update:
I put my Phonak CROS to the test this weekend.  When I went out to dinner with my wife, she purposefully sat on my left (SSD) side.  I was able to maintain perfect coversation without issue.  Then we went to the St. Louis Symphony (a venue of about 2,600 others) and I left my CROS aids in.  My wife again sat on my left again and she was able to lean over and make comments throughout the performance and I could hear it all no problem.

I realize that today is only Day 4 of my 90-day free trial, but so far, so good.
Lee

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:34 pm »
As I've been reading your posts, Lee, I've been reconsidering my decision to pursue the Soundbite device. In fact, I've made an appointment with a local audiologist who specializes with Phonak. I see her next Thursday. I'm getting a consult and if I like the device, I get to walk out of the consult with the devices ready to try in every day life. I'm going with that route for now. I've got nothing to lose. I'm hoping that I have as good experience as you. We'll see.

On another note, when I explained to the audiologist that I was also considering Soundbite, her immediate reaction was, "we're not going near that device. Something in the mouth is just a bad idea."

My question for any Soundbite users who may have first tried the CROS, "is Soundbite better?" "what advantages does it have over CROS?"

Thanks!
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 05:21:14 pm »
On another note, when I explained to the audiologist that I was also considering Soundbite, her immediate reaction was, "we're not going near that device. Something in the mouth is just a bad idea."

My neurotologist and his partners chose not to carry the Sound Byte either.  I don't believe that it was so much the "something in the mouth" issue, it was more a "are people really going to want this?" issue.  It was a cost issue and a staff time issue as well.  I don't remember the specific details (we discussed it a few months ago), but the Sound Byte has to be fitted, etc.

I posted a link regarding the Cros vs BAHA on another thread for you, Ross.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 06:01:04 pm »
Jan, thanks so much for the information. It's continually helpful to hear all the different perspectives and you continue to be a source of great info and inspiration.

I did go to the link that you sent me about Baha versus CROS. The posts are from 2009 and with the device having been significantly upgraded last year, I'd be curious if the old assessment still holds.  I have the appointment next Thursday and I'll at least be able to do some assessment on whether the CROS is right for me and I look no further or I keep exploring other options. Like Lee, I'll post my experience.

Thanks again.
AN, 9 MM

missdiaz

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:51 pm »
Wow, Thanks again Lee for the update.

I feel the same as Ross. I would like to know the difference in sound quality between the CROS and the SoundBite, but I understand that the devices are so new that no one may have experience with both. This is proving to be a difficult decision for me.

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »
Lee, for how many hours do the devices last between charges?  R u able to wear them from the time you leave for work till you go to bed at night?
AN, 9 MM

leeclinton

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:27 pm »
CROS is battery operated.  They use little watch-like batteries.  My first set lasted about 4 14-hour days.  I am not impressed that they suck the juice like that.....but hey, they work!