Author Topic: Baha insurance denial  (Read 27511 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Re: Baha insurance denial
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »
Just making sure you ALL are aware that a 'newer' Phonak CROS was introduced last year.   Forist not coverEd under insurance either, but costs are ranging about $2,500-3,000 total.  SO, just letting you all know there are other options still ;)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

august22

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 02:31:19 pm »
I have United Healthcare and they covered the BAHA surgery then would not pay for the snap on processor. I fought it with letters explaining it was comparable to Cochlear Implants which they cover completely. It is not a hearing aid, it is a component of the surgical implant which they covered. Don't give up.
Sally

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »
I've heard about insurance companies covering BAHA implant surgery, and then not covering BAHA processors.

All I can say is "WTF???"  The surgery without the processor is pointless - so this makes absolutely no sense.

Insurance; a necessary evil  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

august22

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 09:45:06 am »
Dr. Slattery from House Ear Clinic wrote this letter for me to assist in getting United Healthcare to cover ALL of my BAHA:

"To Whom It May Concern:
This letter concerns Sally Hamilton who is insured through United Healthcare. This letter is to assist in seeking positive pre-determination of coverage and authorization for a bone anchored hearing aid (BAHA) partial implant surgery and follow-up. The surgery is an outpatient procedure with general anesthesia and will be performed at Emory Hospital, Georgia by Dr. Douglas Mattox.

Sally Hamilton, age 44, has been diagnosed with single-sided deafness as a result of an acoustic neuroma. This was removed on 1/3/02, at St. Vincent Medical Center in Los Angeles by me and a team of doctors. She an excellent candidate for the implantable BAHA device. Previous trials with traditional hearing aids have not been successful due to the profound nature of the hearing loss, the demands of her employment and postoperative sensitivity of her deaf ear.

The BAHA device is a vibrotactal sound processor that will pick up sound on her deaf side and send it to the intact cochlea on the contralateral side. The partially implanted vibrotactial sound processor is similar to other prosthesis such as a cochlear implant.

If you have any further questions regarding Ms. Hamilton, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I also wrote a lengthy letter to UHC asking them if they'd rather pay out medical benefits for the rest of my life after I got hit by a car because I didn't hear it approaching on my deaf side, and how could they pay for reconstructive surgery for losing a breast to cancer or for a prosthesis for losing a limb and not cover a device that could help give me back such an important sense such as hearing. I went on and on but in the end it worked!  I even went as far as to say I'd gladly give up a breast if I could have my hearing back.

Sally

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »
Dr. Slattery from House Ear Clinic wrote this letter for me to assist in getting United Healthcare to cover ALL of my BAHA:

"To Whom It May Concern:
This letter concerns Sally Hamilton who is insured through United Healthcare. This letter is to assist in seeking positive pre-determination of coverage and authorization for a bone anchored hearing aid (BAHA) partial implant surgery and follow-up. The surgery is an outpatient procedure with general anesthesia and will be performed at Emory Hospital, Georgia by Dr. Douglas Mattox.

Sally Hamilton, age 44, has been diagnosed with single-sided deafness as a result of an acoustic neuroma. This was removed on 1/3/02, at St. Vincent Medical Center in Los Angeles by me and a team of doctors. She an excellent candidate for the implantable BAHA device. Previous trials with traditional hearing aids have not been successful due to the profound nature of the hearing loss, the demands of her employment and postoperative sensitivity of her deaf ear.

The BAHA device is a vibrotactal sound processor that will pick up sound on her deaf side and send it to the intact cochlea on the contralateral side. The partially implanted vibrotactial sound processor is similar to other prosthesis such as a cochlear implant.

If you have any further questions regarding Ms. Hamilton, please do not hesitate to contact me."

I also wrote a lengthy letter to UHC asking them if they'd rather pay out medical benefits for the rest of my life after I got hit by a car because I didn't hear it approaching on my deaf side, and how could they pay for reconstructive surgery for losing a breast to cancer or for a prosthesis for losing a limb and not cover a device that could help give me back such an important sense such as hearing. I went on and on but in the end it worked!  I even went as far as to say I'd gladly give up a breast if I could have my hearing back.

Just a thought his letter and your letter was terrific but the statement with the accident (God Forbid) be careful with that in any future comparisons because they can turn it around and say you should not have been driving if you cannot hear totally ???

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

august22

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:51 am »
I was referring to getting hit by a car walking in a parking lot.
Sally

MNTim

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 08:49:58 pm »
Thanks for all of your input.  I was recently notified that my first formal appeal was denied based on the fact that they do not cover all types of durable medical or prosthetic devices.  The audiology department at the Univ. of MN is now assisting with another appeal and has gotten Oticon involved.  So I guess this is the beginning of a long process.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 08:21:58 pm »
Unfortunately the insurance battle can be a long one, but hang in there, Tim.

It took my insurance company 9 months to approve my BAHA implant and processor; but it was well worth it IMO.

From what I was told by the folks @ the ANA, oftentimes the first request is turned down but if you are persistent you generally prevail.

So keep the faith and keep on pushing. . .

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kixit

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »
**UPDATE  ON BAHA APPEAL**

I received a letter from Anthem UM. They said they would let me know of their decision by July 11th.  Fingers crossed and prayers sent up that they change their minds in my favor.
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

kixit

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 09:10:12 am »
I just went to the Anthems website to check pre-auths like I do every day a 100 times a day...Anthem APPROVED my BAHA!! Well for me it's an unoffical approval until I get that pretty little letter in the mail  ;D
Translab 5/24/12

lrobie

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 09:48:17 am »
That's great news!!
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

kixit

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 11:28:44 am »
Estatic could not even touch my emotion right now. I told Clarice if I could do cartwheels I would!!
Translab 5/24/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 03:41:41 pm »
I just went to the Anthems website to check pre-auths like I do every day a 100 times a day...Anthem APPROVED my BAHA!! Well for me it's an unoffical approval until I get that pretty little letter in the mail  ;D

Congratulations!  I know this has been a struggle and I'm delighted that your tenacity paid off.  I'm sure you'll be delighted with your new BAHA.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 09:48:26 am »
Squeaky wheel.......

kixit

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 09:53:35 am »
@ James E--what does your comment mean?
Translab 5/24/12