Author Topic: Surgery and hospital stay  (Read 4163 times)

trev0024

Surgery and hospital stay
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:43:10 pm »
Hey everyone, scheduled for my retrosigmoid Tuesday March 20th.  Just trying to get an idea of what the stay in the hospital is like. Is there anything out of the ordinary that I should bring with me? Books, magizines or something to ease the boredom or recovery. Maybe I'll just be sleeping most of the day. Just don't want to forget anything!

Thanks

Jeremy
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Surgery and hospital stay
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:15 pm »
Hey Jeremy, first of all...good luck with your surgery!! Before you know it, this will all be just a distant memory!  Now for your question, speaking for myself although I was pretty bored by my last day in the hospital, given the fact that I just had brain surgery pretty much negated anything that had to do with my eyes and thinking....first few days I was so drugged up I didn't care, then with my balance out of kilter after surgery it was all I could do to watch a little bit of TV for any length of time.  So everyone is different in that regard.  Take care and let us know how it goes! PS: Where are you going for your surgery?
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:09:36 am »
Clean undies.  ;D

Good luck and please let us know how you get on and what you took to hospital that you didn't end up using?

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:44:39 am »
As  aveteran of more than one surgery, it is doubtful you will need much.    Lip balm is our biggie.    Pjs if you don't want to live in the hospital gown the whole time.    A robe for those walks in the halls.     Your own toothbrush if desired or they will have one.         If you wear glasses,then take an old one with the bow off on your AN side.    The bandage gets in the way of a regular one.   You probably won't be into reading much and if do then someone can get you a magazine from the gift shop.                       You may or may not sleep a good amt depending on how the steroids bother you.      I'd feel ok for a while and then crappy for a while.    I never had much appetite but some do with the steroids.
    Good luck with your surgery and hope it all goes well.                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:06 am »
Hi Jeremy .....

Jay, Suu, and Cheryl have pretty much covered what to expect.  I will only add that you may or may not feel up to reading of any kind.  I had significant double vision following my first AN surgery, thus I did not want to open my eyes very much.  My husband would quit talking to me when I closed my eyes until I told him I could hear him, I just preferred not seeing two of him at the same time.   ;D  You may not experience that at all, but do not be surprised if you do.  A previous retrosigmoid surgery to that one I had extreme nausea so again I kept my eyes closed a good bit of the time.

The steroids may cause you to have insomnia.  I was grateful for my iPhone during my last translab surgery, when I had no nausea nor double vision, but wide awake at night.  (I would not recommend keeping your phone with you unless you keep it in bed with you, however.)

Lip balm is essential .....

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:21:31 am »
Hey everyone, scheduled for my retrosigmoid Tuesday March 20th.  Just trying to get an idea of what the stay in the hospital is like. Is there anything out of the ordinary that I should bring with me? Books, magizines or something to ease the boredom or recovery. Maybe I'll just be sleeping most of the day. Just don't want to forget anything!

Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I couldn't do any of what you mention. With one eye bouncing & the other spinning, reading was impossible during my 5 days at the hospital. Watching TV was also out of the question. I could only listen to it. Any eye movement made me vomit.  So I figured sleeping was my only option. Couldn't do that either & I didn't take any steroids. Hospitals are just too noisy, especially at night. It doesn't help that the nurses come and wake you up every few hours to take your vitals.

Hopefully, you will do better than me with all this, but someone can always read to you. Or maybe an iphone or ipod to listen to music or books on tape.

Good Luck
Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
First good luck with your surgery and the first few days you are out of it...I brought a lot of stuff and didn't need or use any of it was a waste ... I was in a hospital gown those beautiful ones they give you ...haha the whole time and the hospital gives you basics toothbrush, paste, comb, mouthwash even those cute little booties..So pack light and maybe just one book if you feel up to reading I would do a magazine and look at the pictures and before you know it you will be released... Remember travel light.

Thoughts and prayers on the 20th see you on the other side...
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »
Clean undies.  ;D

Good luck and please let us know how you get on and what you took to hospital that you didn't end up using?

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu

I took undies but that darn catheter would not let me wear them...haha... The whole hospital stay I had a catheter and a lumbar drain which I was in shock I knew the first day but all 4 ...UGH...so needless to say everything I brought with me was useless... I guess traveling light is the best way to go...
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 01:52:19 pm »
Jeremy ~

My advice, especially for guys, is to 'pack light'.   This isn't a vacation so you won't need much, believe me.  A robe, maybe PJ's (I wore the dreaded hospital 'gown' and didn't mind all that much).  As Cheryl R mentioned in her post, books, magazines and newspapers are always available at the hospital, should you want them (you probably won't).  I never felt a need for lip balm during my 4½ day hospital stay but for most folks it seems to be vital so why not bring a tube with you?  The hospital usually supplies a new toothbrush and toothpaste.  No need to bring a lot of things you'll never need 'just in case'.  I packed relatively light and found it worked out just fine.

I wish you the best of luck in your AN surgery and look forward to 'seeing you on the other side'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

trev0024

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 03:43:39 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice! I tend to over pack anyway, so this will help me tone it down. I will post as soon as I feel up to the task. I will be in Rochester, MN at the Mayo Clinic.

Thanks again,

Jeremy
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 08:10:06 pm »
Pack light.  Most of the time you'll be in hospital issued gown. 

Slippers - that you won't slip and fall in - and a robe are great for when you have to walk the hallways.

I brought books and magazines, but had double vision post op so I never even opened one.  I watched TV on occasion - just out of boredom - but had to do so with one eye closed to alleviate the double vision.

You'll sleep a good deal of the time - that is when they aren't waking you up to take your vitals - so that will help with the boredom factor.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways