Author Topic: 3 day fractionization and 5 day fractionization  (Read 2722 times)

lalala80

3 day fractionization and 5 day fractionization
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:46:15 pm »
Does anyone know any data on 3 day Cyberknife versus 5 day Cyberknife.  I am torn on which I want to do, I am wondering if 5 day will have less side effects but maybe have a higher chance of failure?  My neuroma is a bit on the large side and I am worried the 5 day won't work, but then the 3 day might give me major side effects.  Does anyone know any literature on this?

Thanks,

Sandy

sgerrard

Re: 3 day fractionization and 5 day fractionization
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 12:50:29 am »
I don't know if there is a study like that. I think you would do well either way. I did 3 days; I know of people who did 5; both ways seem to work. I suspect the difference would be hard to measure well.

Don't sweat it too much. Sometimes you just have to pick between the Mercedes and the BMW.  They are both good.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:55:15 am »
Hiya Sandy. What do your doctors recommend? What size is the AN?
I don't know the types of fractionizations used but maybe Google it and see if there is something that will help you to decide there?
Good luck.

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu xxoo
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

JLR

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »
Hi Sandy, I had CK Dec. '10.  I had the radiation for the 3 days.  I had 18 gy of radiation.  It is my understanding that with the 5 day fractionated radiation it is the same.... 18 gys of radiation. Its just a little less each day with the 5 day.  I don't believe it makes any difference in the side effects.  Initially, you will have very little side effects..maybe a little tired.  But in the ensuing weeks you will notice perhaps some numbness, some wonkiness, head pain, balance might seem a bit off etc etc..  I had all of the above.  A dose of a Medropak helped a little.  I am 15 months post CK and this week I have experienced a little numbness on the AN side and some very slight balance issues.  All in all I am doing AOK and will have another MD visit as well as an updated MRI in May.  It's quite a journey but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Best Regards, Joan

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:49 pm »
Sandy

The doctor told me that I was going to have 5 sessions.  The reason behind it is where the AN is located.  Mine was touching the cochlea which does not handle radiation very well.  In doing 5 sessions they were able to develop a plan that gave me a reduced amount of radiation each time with the same result of killing the tumor.  The hope was to save as much hearing as possible.

I have to say 15 months out, I have only lost a very small amount of hearing in my AN side.  So hopefully that will continue and my hearing will be stable.  But as everyone knows side effects can hit for quit some time afterwards.

Hope this helps

TJ