Author Topic: Do I have a choice?  (Read 9696 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Do I have a choice?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 12:57:20 am »
RL...sorry for joining this discussion late, but everyone is correct in saying that this decision is one that you need to make on your own.  Just know that once you make a decision, if it feels good then you made the right one.  It sounds like you went with your guts and cancelled that translab...don't be too frustrated!! I know how it was (as I am sure everyone else!), that this decision and researching gets almost to the point of consuming every single thought you have.  If you can, try to step back from it all for a day or so, give yourself a breather.  I hope that everything goes well for you and wish you luck! Let us know how it goes, ok? Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Ned

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 07:25:16 am »
When I was in your mode of determining treatment, I didn't really trust the % facts of post treatment problems.  I asked for literature to support their facts, not one could offer anything other than that was their recollection.  In addition, and I found this very frustrating, most surgeons and radiologists don't keep follow up records on their patients because they send them to other doctors for their followup. That being said, your gut along with research is your best guide.  Good luck on your journey.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

salutrenli

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 10:33:50 pm »
Yeah, that’s quite true. When reading any statistics in the literature, I always keep reminding myself that numbers can be misleading, for I’ve heard so many reports of cooking up beautiful figures.

These days, I have been considering inviting a neurosurgeon to do the surgery in cooperation with fellow members in the local hospital. Of course, I have to pay some extra fee which won’t be covered in my insurance, which I am glad to give away for the best treatment. What do you think? Anyone here has such kind of experience? All ideas appreciated!

R.L.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 07:46:05 am »
I totally agree with Phyl and can't stress enough that this is YOUR choice.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

salutrenli

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 09:20:46 pm »
Yeah, I totally agree with you. Nobody can make the final decision for me.
Let me rephrase my question. Those who have relative experience, would you please share some of your stories? Thanks a million!  ;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 08:48:23 pm »
I chose my doc and my treatment based on my heart, my head, and my "gut".

First choice (doc) was easy.  Knew from the moment I met him that he was going to be "my" doctor.  He took lots of time with me, was genuinely concerned, very calming, very self-assured, well-qualified and experienced, and I trusted him 100%.  He's a great listener and stepped up to the plate to give me what I emotionally needed when I needed it - he's a very serious type of guy but figured out I thrive on humor and made big efforts to provide me with it.  Can't say enough good things about him.  To this day I have no idea how many AN surgeries he's done, but I know he did a great job for me and my outcome couldn't have been better.

Second choice (radiation vs surgery) was harder - but ultimately I decided on surgery; lots of reasons why, but a big reason was I wanted the tumor out of my head and I wanted to get on with my life.  I wanted to meet my side-effects head on and start to deal with them.  Surgery was the only way to achieve that.

I never consulted with anyone but my neurotologist - and didn't even meet the neurosurgeon until I'd already booked my surgery.  Thankfully he was very similar to my neurotologist, which is one of the things that makes them a great team.

I've never looked back, never regretted my decision, never second-guessed myself.

I believe you'll know when it's "right".

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

salutrenli

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »
Hi, everyone! Just a little update. My surgery is scheduled next week! Finally, after two-month research and consultation, I reached my decision. Considering the facts of IAC enlargement and the tumour extension to the fundus and 3cm in CPA, hearing preservation would be a miracle for me. Translab seems to be the approach for me to go with. Guess I am not brave enough to try my luck out. I only want to make sure of minimum brain manipulation. With one foot over the threshold, the only thing for me to do now is getting in shape for the coming surgery. I have never been so calm and relaxed. Thank you all for support and encouragement!
R.L.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:11 am »
Hi, everyone! Just a little update. My surgery is scheduled next week! Finally, after two-month research and consultation, I reached my decision. Considering the facts of IAC enlargement and the tumour extension to the fundus and 3cm in CPA, hearing preservation would be a miracle for me. Translab seems to be the approach for me to go with. Guess I am not brave enough to try my luck out. I only want to make sure of minimum brain manipulation. With one foot over the threshold, the only thing for me to do now is getting in shape for the coming surgery. I have never been so calm and relaxed. Thank you all for support and encouragement!
R.L.

Wishing you good luck with your surgery and please try to keep yourself calm and busy difficult yes but do some things you love to do and be around positive people and before you know it will be over and you will be posting on here with your great outcome.

Hear from you when you are on the other side of this journey that we are all connected with.

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.