Author Topic: Drops - liquid gel vs plain drops  (Read 14378 times)

spgreenfield

Drops - liquid gel vs plain drops
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:42:45 pm »
I need more than just plain drops...they seem to dissipate too quickly.  I found a "liquagel" with no preservative (no sting) and it feels good to my eye as I put it in, but later on it feels "goopy" almost.  Then in about 10 minutes it feels fine again but I'm not sure if that's because it's gone or just "settled" into my eye..... When I use plain drops without preservative my eye opens and closes easily, but with ointment or this gel-like drop my eye seems sluggish.  Anyone else have this happen?  Is it the brand of gel I'm buying?

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

alabamajane

Re: Drops - liquid gel vs plain drops
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »
HI again, just responded to your other post about the thick gel.. I use the "regular" drops during the day for lubrication if eye feels dry,, and the thicker gel only at night. If I do happen to get up at night and  try to see, it is very hard to focus because that stuff,, Refresh PM is so thick.. I don't think I have tried the liqui-gel ,, will have to try it next I guess.. as I said, the thicker does not seem to bother me at night as I keep eye closed to sleep anyway, but it is hard to focus eye if I get up.. keep us posted as we all try to find something "in between"....
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »
On January 25,2012, I had a gold weight put in.  My eye felt better almost immediately.  I am in my second week back to work.  I am on the computer the majority of the day.  I use Systane Ultra drops (little bit thicker than regular drops) during the day (some days I use more than others) and lacri-lube gel at night.  It really makes my eye feel good.
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

spgreenfield

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
All your comments are so wonderful!  I just returned from seeing an optometrist (ophthalmologist couldn't see me until all the way to the end of the month!!!)  and he said I had NOTHING wrong with my eyes other than the fact I don't completely close when blinking - even when I THINK I'm closing I'm not.  But he had me close both my eyes like sleeping and the AN eye closed just fine.  He did suggest that I use ointment at night anyway until my blink is more complete.....

But my double vision has gone and tomorrow I go for balance therapy for the first time.....moving on!  My new normal isn't as bad as I was afraid it would be!
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

mrgarlic

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »
Greetings to all. I had my AN Jan of 04. My eye is my only ongoing problem. I taped it shut  ( ouch ) every night for a year. Still wouldn't close properly so had a gold  weight sewed in. That did the trick. I am now retired and spend more time on the computer then in the past and that is bad on the eye. Since I don't blink, I don't get it properly lubed. I now use ointment day and night. It burns if I don't. Reading is wonderful as eyes move constantly. With the weight in, my eye drifts closed in a few minutes. I have an appointment next week to check out having my eye partially sewed shut. My eye Dr says my eye is like a windshield with chips and that is why it burns so bad. The positive side is my grandkids love to sneak up on my blind side when I am reading and scare the hell out of me. Do any of you have any expierience with sewing the lid????   Take care,,,,,,mrgarlic
I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:07:20 pm »
Mrgarlic,

I had my eye lid sewed for a month after my surgery because it stayed open all the time wit hno blinking at the beginning. It unravelled itself two weeks after the sweing becasue it is unnatural to have one open and look and the other to be shut. The procedure of sweing it is not painful at all becasue you have a local anaesthesia. It is very uncomafortable after that - becasue as I already mentioned the shut one always try to open when the good one is open too. I had a lot of massages post surgery and gradually the eye started closing more and more. It does not blink that often and all the way down as the normal one but it is better and now I use only drops in it to keep it moistured all the time.

Hope that this helps
Hrisi
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:20:44 pm »
thanks guys for the info on sewing the eye shut - I've been begging my opthalmologist to sew mine shut b/c using Refresh PM ointment exclusively every 1/2 to 1 hour + using a bubble bandage at night, I'm still feeling the burn. He said even though my eye burns daily, the cornea looks good. I wouldn't want the stitches to 'open up' after only 2 weeks...
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis