Author Topic: hearing devices post surgery vs. post radiation  (Read 3898 times)

Twindy

hearing devices post surgery vs. post radiation
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:23:09 am »
I was told by doctor yesterday that hearing devices (I am new to this so I don't know the correct term) don't work as well after radiation vs. surgery.  Anyone know anything or have experience with this?

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: hearing devices post surgery vs. post radiation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:21 pm »
Not heard this, but I am not a doctor nor an expert. However, I have today finished FSR and had surgery two years ago this weekend. I have noticed no difference in the effectiveness of my Ponto Pro since beginning radiation.

I'm struggling to find a theory that would account for such a difference.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:05:18 pm »
By hearing devices, I assume you mean a bone anchored hearing aid. The titanium post gets screwed into your skull right behind your AN ear, vibrates your skull (you cannot feel it) and your good ear hears what words/sounds the BAHA hears. I have tried to think of a way that radiation on the AN side could have any impact on your good side. The ability to control those waves of energy is so very precise that it would totally suprise me that it could have any impact on your ability to hear sound from a BAHA or via air transmission. I'm sure the energy does not soften the skull and reduce the ability of the BAHA to vibrate your skull. Beats me!

Now, they may mean that if you are left with hearing in your AN ear following radiation, and it is rather poor, a hearing aid my not help as much. I'll bring this up and see if it holds any water... when I was wandering through the treatment options, 2 docs told me that the majority of radiation patients lose the hearing in their AN ear within 5 years of the treatment. Now this is not my statement...this is what I was told. This is one of the reasons I chose surgery.

My problem right now is my good ear is going bad regardless of the type of treatment I had. I was not first in line when they  gave out ears...I was first in line for teeth.

mk

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:12 pm »
After radiation there can be fluctuations in hearing (and gradual deterioration in the long term), so it would be hard to find a hearing aid that will work well over time. Perhaps this is what they meant? Whereas with surgery you know where you stand - either completely SSD or with a steady level of hearing. I am not sure if this is true (I am sure someone will chime in), but my ENT had mentioned that the BAHA works better when you are completely SSD. If this is true, radiation patients who don't loose all hearing right away, may not be good candidates for the BAHA. However I know at least two radiation patients who are wearing the BAHA and find it great.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:25:41 pm »
I just gave my transear another try after putting it away last year. It still does nothing:(
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 04:53:45 am »
One of the moderators here, sgerrard (Steve) had CK done a few years ago... and has a standard hearing aid (not bone-anchored or Transear-type).  You may want to send him a PM/email here on the site to get his take on how his hearing device helps him, even post CK.  Just a thought.......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:41:43 pm »

I had CK done about 1 1/2 years ago, I have two hearing aids and they both work the same as before CK, as the commercial says "don't leave home without them".

TJ

sunfish

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:54:54 pm »
Me too. CK two years ago, and ENT says no further hearing loss post-treatment.  I had my hearing aid before treatment, and it still works the same.

I have been blessed so far with good hearing preservation post-CK
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC