Author Topic: One week post op--anyone?  (Read 2867 times)

Twindy

One week post op--anyone?
« on: February 07, 2012, 07:33:02 am »
Still thinking about what I might need 8 days post op for help.  What were you all doing then?  Can you get yourself around pretty well?  Are you mostly still fatigued and in bed or sitting up pretty well?  Do you feel like visiting with friends? 

For those who had the surgery out of town, when did you travel?

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: One week post op--anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »
Eight days after surgery I was staying with my sister & her family. It was summer & her three teenagers were so helpful when I needed anything. I was definitely not bed-ridden, but did need help with some things.

I was able to bathe myself. I got a spa bench especially for this so I could sit the whole time. I didn't use the showerhead for another few days. The most difficult part about a shower was closing my eyes & staying upright when rinsing my head & face. But I managed that OK by holding on to the wall. This helped me tell which way was up.

On day 8 I was no longer relying on my walker because there were plenty of walls & furniture to hold on to. I stayed indoors most of the time. Everything I did was exhausting, & I didn't do a whole lot, but I needed to lay down often. Even if I tried to take a nap, I couldn't. I had a sudoku puzzle book that kept me busy for little whiles.

I did have friends & family come visit me. That, too, was exhausting.

I'm glad I had help with meals. Just turning around to make my way around the kitchen to warm up my food in the microwave oven was a challenge. My nieces helped me with this.

My nieces have a little chihuahua mix that runs in circle & is very fast. They made it a point to keep her out of the house & away from me. This little dog could have knocked me over very easily.

My surgery was out of town. The 2-hour trip home wasn't so bad. I had pillows to help support my neck. I think I closed my eyes most of the time. My sister drove more careful & cautious than usual. I noticed every movement of the vehicle so much more.

I ended up staying with my sister 2 weeks after leaving the hospital. It was nice just having someone around & knowing that if I fell and hurt myself, there would be someone to help me.
Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Syl
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:18:11 pm by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »
I was up walking 12 hours after a 10 hour surgery. I was eating full meals, reading, watching TV, visiting other patients. The worst part was constipation. The second worst part was hallucinations. Once I got home after 3 days in the hospital, I started waking up in absolute fear of being trapped in a sinking ship that had rolled over, and there was no way to get out. This happened for 2 or 3 nights and then quit. Probably brought on by the drugs. I did not want to ride in the car because it make me super wonky. I took short naps during the day. I had neighbors visit for a short time, but I really accepted their visit to be kind...I really would rather have been left alone. My little dog was my constant companion and she just rolled up against me and slept. Great little companion.

My wife took some time off to take care of me, and I let her. I could have easily taken care of myself, but she was a victim of the AN as much as I was. WE are life long partners, she suffered like I did and she recovered by taking care of me. She is a real doll. Just let people take care of you.  It is good for both of you. Attitude is the key to your recovery.

James

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »
Twindy ~

I tired easily but got around just fine.  Watched a lot of (boring) TV and read.  Was walking in the local park a week later.  In retrospect, after I was home from the hospital (5 days post-op) my recovery continued at a steady pace.  I had to resist the urge to 'overdo' it.  Of course, every AN surgical patient has a slightly different experience but that was mine.  I hope yours in equally positive.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tx-anp

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »
I'm 8 days post-op today and things are getting better every day.  I go for short walks and spend some time on the computer.  Went to the grocery store to get some stuff the other day.  It was pretty exhausting but manageable.  Dealing with the headaches and fatigue are the toughest thing for me right now.

James E, I had very similar nightmares about being trapped under the water and not making it to the surface.  Very frightening!  Had some very scarey nightmares the first couple nights.  Nothing recently thank god.   :)

Stay positive!

2cm left side AN
Translab on 3/1/2012
No facial nerve damage, SSD