Author Topic: First post ~ advice/calming needed  (Read 12750 times)

Tumbleweed

Re: First post ~ advice/calming needed
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 01:17:21 am »

Dr 1 said radiation is not an option because it is difficult to operate on a radiated tumor.

The most experienced neurosurgeons by and large will tell you that this is not a problem for a very skilled surgeon. If your doctor only performs a dozen AN resections each year, then sure, it could be more difficult for them to operate on an irradiated tumor. But the best doctors -- those who do one or two AN surgeries per week -- will likely tell you this is not a significant factor.

Btw, I think your W&W strategy (unless and until growth is noted in a followup MRI) makes good sense. It's what I would probably personally choose in your situation, with one caveat: If your symptoms worsen, consider getting treatment (even if there is no further growth). An AN needn't grow bigger to damage the balance nerve further. That said, your AN is relatively small and W&W is a totally reasonable strategy.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Aprilcl

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »
Thanks! with your support I will W&W&W&W (watch and wait and wink and wobble) until my mri!
Diagnosed 2011
Surgery 10/26/2012
Mass Gen and Mass Eye and Ear
Drs. Barker & McKenna
AN size 1.5 cm
Also vascular compression of facial nerve

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:24 pm »

An AN needn't grow bigger to damage the balance nerve further.

How is that so?  I assumed if it didn't grow nothing further would develop symptom wise.  Just curious.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 08:22:49 pm »
April
Sounds like you having some "tumor tantrums". Thats no fun...I know this. I'm not sure who your doctor is but my opinion is to send out your scans to various Dr's. Such as House Dr. Friedmand or Dr. Gantz or another great surgeon that is mentioned here. Just to get opinions. Surgery does not mean facial paralasis(sp?). House leaves a scrap on there so it does not damage the nerve. So I heard.
I had CK done 4 years ago and had recently started having issues again etc etc.
As my friend here on this forum StephSF said "time to move forward"  ::)

Take Care April Let us know your decision
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Tumbleweed

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 11:47:34 pm »

An AN needn't grow bigger to damage the balance nerve further.

How is that so?  I assumed if it didn't grow nothing further would develop symptom wise.  Just curious.

Karen

The prolonged pressure of an AN on a cranial nerve -- especially inside tight spaces like the bony internal auditory canal -- can reduce blood flow to that nerve. Without good blood flow, the nerve's function could degrade over time.

To understand this, imagine a blood-pressure cuff on your arm. If it's only tightened a little bit, you might have some tingling sensation but your arm might function properly. Leave the cuff on for a year or two, however, and the reduced blood flow to your arm would likely result in tissue death. Same thing with an AN crowding a cranial nerve. The AN might not grow over the course of a year, but the pressure on the nerve still remains.

Some cranial nerves -- those that control muscles, for example -- are more robust and can better withstand a tumor growing on them. The sensory nerves such as those for hearing and balance, however, are more sensitive.

Best wishes,
TW

lrobie

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 09:40:52 am »
Tumbleweed,

I like your explanation.  It makes sense to me.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 07:17:15 pm »
TW - thanks for the explanation, no one ever brought that up that I can remember & it's certainly a need to know piece of information.  Now that's more to ponder.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Aprilcl

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:21 am »
Tumbleweed - is that true with the facial nerve too?  My face (tumor side) contorts regularly (mouth turns up, eye closes) and stays that way for a few minutes.  The Dr said it was just the tumor touching the facial nerve, irritating it and not to worry.  Could it be damaging it? 
Diagnosed 2011
Surgery 10/26/2012
Mass Gen and Mass Eye and Ear
Drs. Barker & McKenna
AN size 1.5 cm
Also vascular compression of facial nerve

Tumbleweed

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 10:24:49 pm »
April:

Your doctor would know far better than I what the risk is to your facial nerve; he has seen your MRIs and is the expert.

That said, the good news is that the facial nerve is a motor nerve and thus more resilient than the hearing and balance (i.e., sensory) nerves.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Best wishes,
TW

KBL

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 07:20:25 pm »
Hi, I had a shot to kill off my balance nerve.    The Doctor said that would help with my recovery in giving me me less vertigo after surgery.   They knew the nerve would not survive surgery.  This way I had a chance to adjust to the nerve being gone before surgery since, for me it was it huge tumor and a long surgery, and I would have enough to deal with the way it was.  His explanation made sense to me.  Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 10:20:38 pm »
Hi, I would get more opinions which, in my personal experience, should include dr. Friedman from HEI Los Angeles!   I am 2 weeks post op today and have no regrets with my surgery and I am doing pretty great.  Go with experts that have done hundreds and hundreds of the type of procedure you are leaning towards!!
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Ellen K

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 06:45:35 pm »
Hi Chris,
Welcome to the W&W crew - you've heard from some of the venerable "elders" in our community who provide wonderful advice.  I'm still something of a newbie (see my tag), and like you I have a small tumor.   I did want to put in a plug for physical therapy for balance issues.  Just a few sessions helped me with fairly debilitating dizziness.  It's not that it's gone away, but I'm much better able to cope and my symptoms have diminished in severity.  It can't hurt, and insurance often covers at least a portion of it.

Given how small my tumor is, I do have weird facial symptoms (it feels like my chin is folding up, if that makes sense) and occasional tingling/numbness.  My first reaction to all of this (everything, not just facial symptoms) was outrage.  I mean, come on, I'm not even 50 and I'm falling apart?  After taking such good care of myself?  I got a second diagnosis at the same time as the AN of a hereditary tremor, so my hands and occasionally my legs and voice now shake.  It seemed just so crazy.  But I've come to a new place of realizing that there is no "fair" with health.  You just make the best of it and get to a place of gratitude that it's not something far worse.  It just takes a while to get there and on "tumor tantrum" days (I like that expression!) it's harder to remember.

I'm so glad you are getting second opinions.  All the best to you.  I hope you can take your time.
Ellen
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.