Author Topic: Post-op hearing, balance and return to work  (Read 4358 times)

trev0024

Post-op hearing, balance and return to work
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »
I have a 2.0 cm acousitic neuroma. All indications point towards surgical removal. I am a physical therapist and my job requires balance, heavy lifting and hearing my patients in a large open gym that is very noisy with multple people talking.

1) What is it like to be deaf in one ear? Can I expect to work in a noisy environment?

2) Do the those hearing aides that send sound from deaf ear to good ear actually work?

3) Any hunters out there? Can you still safely hunt upland game with dogs and friends?

I appreciate any help with these questions.
New dx 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Post-op hearing, balance and return to work
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:47:07 am »
Hi trev0024 .....

I saw on your other post about trying to make the decision of radiation vs surgery.  As you know, you are within the typical size range for either.  As you have probably read on this forum already, if you consult with a surgeon he/she is going to recommend surgery.  If you consult with a radiation oncologist, he/she is going to recommend radiation.

Almost hate to interject this here, but I had massive doses of radiation to my nasopharyngeal area as a teenager, following a tonsillectomy.  Fast forward 40+ years later and I show up with an AN.  However, let me hasten to say that the ionizing radiation they were using back in those days was HUGE compared with what the very targeted radiation they use today.  In fact, at the last ANA Symposium in June, 2011, the guest speakers all talked about even greatly reducing the amount of Gy used on ANs within the past 10 years.  Therefore, yes, there are not long term studies on it yet, but the data is strongly showing that this should not be a cause for concern.

Answers to your questions:

1) For me, it is the frustration of always feeling like I need to turn my head/body in the direction of the known source of sound.  Because I have loud screaming tinnitus in both ears and hyperacussis in my "good" ear, noisy environments are a challenge for me.

2) I love my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro bone anchored hearing device!  It helps tremendously in small group situations, especially.

3) Although I am not a hunter, if you are truly SSD after treatment, you will lose directionality and this could be a challenge to know where sound is originating.  Hopefully other hunters will chime in here to say what they have experienced.

Best thoughts and let us know how things are progressing for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:25:28 am »
I am a hunter, but I have not been out hunting in the two years since my surgery. Last year I deemed myself still too weak and unsteady to feel optimally safe for myself and others. This past season I was simply far too busy. I have spent a fair amount of time in the woods though hiking and backpacking and simply ave to become accustomed to turning slowly 360 degrees (and quietly) to see the source of a noise.

As Clarice mentioned, directionality is lost when one is SSD. Like Clarice, I love my Ponto Pro...even though I don't usually wear it in the woods since it is not waterproof and I can't wear it and a hat.

When I think about shooting, I am very mindful now of ear protection. Also, it seems most people take significant time to adjust to the impact of loud noise on their balance.

I don't see any reason why I won't be returning to hunting once my work life settles down.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Archer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:11:23 am »
I don't work in a noisy place but can say I would have some difficulty with it.  I believe i could deal with it but would have to work at it.
I have no experience with hearing aids so cannot talk to that. 
I do hunt though.  I am a bow hunter and hunt almost exclusively alone.  I do find walking on uneven ground out to my stand a challenge and have recently begun to use a walking stick as I go to and from my tree stands.  Once at my stand I DO NOT leave the ground without my safety harness attached.  Something every hunter should do anyway, not just those of us with balance issues.  I also find it a big challenge determining direction as Clarice mentioned.  I see that as just another advantage for the deer though and learn to deal with it.  I can see you will have some issues hunting upland game.  When the bird flushes, if it is not in your line of sight, you may not locate it quick enough for the shot.  Walking uneven ground is much easier for me if I look down which would limit the number of birds you see flush even more.  I don't think you'll feel like giving up the hunt but you will have things to overcome.  It is just another challenge you need to figure out a way to deal with.  It may make your successes even more rewarding.