Author Topic: Passing out?  (Read 10129 times)

godftamm

Passing out?
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:59:05 am »
I went to physical therapy two time now and have passed out both times. They freaked out and that is an understatement and now they wont see me till I get cleared by the doctor. Doctor don't know why?  Has anyone else have this?

alabamajane

Re: Passing out?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:17:40 am »
Hi, my situation may be a little different,, but I started having seizures,, mild,,very little "jerking",,and unconsciencious for a period,,  in 2008. That sent me to neurologist who did MRI to see why and found the AN.. I was w&w with tumor for about 3 yrs in which time I had about 8 seizures,, and NEVER had had one before diagnosis. ALL Drs. told me it was not related, but I believe and always will, that it was related as my tumor grew over those yrs out of the IAC and was pressing on my brainstem at time of surgery last Oct 2011. I have not had, knock on wood, any seizures since surgery,, not to say I won't I guess, but it will totally surprise me if I do.

I don't know anything about your tumor size, location etc.. but it MAY and I am not a Dr.,, have some bearing on your passing out.. especially if you are experiencing dizziness or vertigo, or fullness of the ear.. or if it is out of the IAC and close to brainstem..

Just my two cents worth since you asked,, :)... good luck,,,, let us know what Drs. find out,,Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:05:31 am »
Godftamm,

Are they working you too hard in physical therapy? I never had this happen to me during physical therapy. However, I did happen once before my AN diagnosis. It was just like when you get up too fast. You get lightheaded & everything spins & goes dark. This time I was getting up & I passed out.

I've learned to get up slower. My head still throbs sometimes, but I don't get the spinning & darkness.

Syl

1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:11:27 am »
Jane ~

I've never had this experience (passing out from PT) Blood pressure-related?  A thorough physical check-up should find the cause.   Let us know.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »
Hi, my situation may be a little different,, but I started having seizures,, mild,,very little "jerking",,and unconsciencious for a period,,  in 2008. That sent me to neurologist who did MRI to see why and found the AN.. I was w&w with tumor for about 3 yrs in which time I had about 8 seizures,, and NEVER had had one before diagnosis. ALL Drs. told me it was not related, but I believe and always will, that it was related as my tumor grew over those yrs out of the IAC and was pressing on my brainstem at time of surgery last Oct 2011. I have not had, knock on wood, any seizures since surgery,, not to say I won't I guess, but it will totally surprise me if I do.

I don't know anything about your tumor size, location etc.. but it MAY and I am not a Dr.,, have some bearing on your passing out.. especially if you are experiencing dizziness or vertigo, or fullness of the ear.. or if it is out of the IAC and close to brainstem..

Just my two cents worth since you asked,, :)... good luck,,,, let us know what Drs. find out,,Jane

I to have been having seizures a dream like state where I am aware of what is going on around me but totally paralyzed and of course the neurologist says it is not because of the surgery and the small piece left behind...But never had them before also feeling like I am going to pass out but I do not. They wanted me to go for a sleep study but have been reluctant to do so I read somewhere someone did and it was a complete waste of time they want me to stay in the hospital for 3 days for the study...

So glad you have not had one again they can be very scary...
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:59 am »
PJB,
Interesting that they would want to do a sleep study??? My episodes are not like sleeping at all.. I do lose conscienciousness (sp?),, but not for long and as I am coming out of it,, I can not move temporarily and do have some idea of what is going on around me,, but not at all like sleeping... I would be hesitant to do that test also as I don't know ,, from a non-medical standpoint,, just what that would tell them..
It is VERY scary sensation,, and hope neither of us has any more of them!! I don't think most Drs. know all that the AN will do to us yet,, just from the ones I have encountered.. i.e.,, headaches,, some will tell you  the AN does not cause that, ,but those of us that have had them will certainly disagree! I will "go  to my grave" believing the AN caused the seizures and will be glad to get off seizure meds ASAP, ,, although,, Dr wants me on meds for AT LEAST one yr seizure free and preferably two! UNREAL,,, good luck with your episodes,, whatever you decide to do.. keep us updated,, I am interested that someone else has experienced these episodes also... thanks for post! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »
Right now I am waiting to see a new neurosurgeon and see what he suggests with the seizures you are right a lot of things happening to me now has to be from the AN how could the doctors say no...It is scary with these episodes and now I try so hard not to fall asleep in the afternoon as far as the nighttime once in a while I think it is happening I take a sleeping pill so I can get a full night of sleep. I stopped taking a couple of medications and want to see if maybe that was causing the seizures so I have to decide to just go with it and sleep in the afternoon but I am still a little reluctant to do so it is a horrible feeling especially when I have difficulty in swallowing because every part of me is paralyzed.

Hoping the best for you as well...

Best Wishes,

Pat

nftwoed

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:23 pm »
Hi;

Yes, I encountered the situation after being Dx'd with the 2nd AN. I saw a Dr and was Dx'd as having orthostatic hypotension. Seems the shock/trauma of the NF-2 Dx was affecting me psychologically. It passed, but you should see a Dr.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 03:05:05 am »
I would say testing needs to be done to determine if you are fainting or having a seizure, you need to see the doctor, and then determine the cause.
I have always been one to faint, it didn't change with the AN.
I had a seizure about 1 1/2 years after my first brain surgery. The doctor's figure it was due to 1. rerouting going on in the brain 2. combining a certain Rx medication and alcohol (my bad). I had another one a few years later but that was due to low blood sugar and low blood pressure both occurring at the same time (induced in a doctor's office, was undergoing testing to due with hypotension and hypoglycemia, they both bottomed out at the same time and I seizures).
I hope you find some answers.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 07:20:32 pm »
I had 3 passing out incidents in last 3 years :(. 1st passing out incident, on CT-Scan revealed AN ~2.6 cm round. Nevertheless, all 3 incidents were labeled as episode of "Vasovagal syncope” because all happened in bathroom @ during late night period. First incident required 8 stitches in head (because of awkward fall) & last two resulted in big thuds and small bruises. Every time doctor said "it's not because of AN". Now, I wonder if there is any correlation (growing or touching brain-stem ?).
Fortunately, I have minimum AN related symptoms, my hearing & balance are fine (yesterday, I climbed outdoor ladder with no issues). It's stable (not growing) during last 3-4 years testing by MRI. I guess there will be W&W till any extra symptoms develop.
But these "passing out" incidents scares me and my wife (at least for a week) although now I don't jump of bed suddenly, rather I sit for few minutes on edge of bed, wait & slowly proceed. (Prevent any reduction of blood flow to brain.) ???
- Raj
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:13:13 pm by rm516 »
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

New girl

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 03:55:53 pm »
I had two incidents of vasovagal syncope a few years before my diagnosis.  No scans were done at the time.  My doctors told me it was either stress or I needed to gain weight (even though I was eating normally at the time).  Since I was diagnosed with my AN I often think that it may have been the cause.  I was always very nervous that I may pass out when I was alone or driving.  This caused me a great deal of stress at times.  Since my surgery I have felt fine.  I dont even feel nervous about it any more.  My new doctors say it is hard to link the two but I feel as though there may have been a connection.  I am not a doctor - that is just my gut feeling.  Best wishes.
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 07:54:22 am »
I had two incidents of vasovagal syncope a few years before my diagnosis.  No scans were done at the time.  My doctors told me it was either stress or I needed to gain weight (even though I was eating normally at the time).  Since I was diagnosed with my AN I often think that it may have been the cause.  I was always very nervous that I may pass out when I was alone or driving.  This caused me a great deal of stress at times.  Since my surgery I have felt fine.  I dont even feel nervous about it any more.  My new doctors say it is hard to link the two but I feel as though there may have been a connection.  I am not a doctor - that is just my gut feeling.  Best wishes.

I too was passing out prior to my diagnosis and lucky I did it forced me to go back to the doctors originally I just had fullness in the ear and was misdiagnosed if it wasn't for the fainting spells I was reevaluated and then that is when they found the AN... But of course the doctors are saying that the fainting was not a symptom ?... I am finding that hard to believe seeing so many of us have the same symptom..

Best Wishes,

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 08:16:24 am »
I had 3 passing out incidents in last 3 years :(. 1st passing out incident, on CT-Scan revealed AN ~2.6 cm round. Nevertheless, all 3 incidents were labeled as episode of "Vasovagal syncope” because all happened in bathroom @ during late night period. First incident required 8 stitches in head (because of awkward fall) & last two resulted in big thuds and small bruises. Every time doctor said "it's not because of AN". Now, I wonder if there is any correlation (growing or touching brain-stem ?).
Fortunately, I have minimum AN related symptoms, my hearing & balance are fine (yesterday, I climbed outdoor ladder with no issues). It's stable (not growing) during last 3-4 years testing by MRI. I guess there will be W&W till any extra symptoms develop.
But these "passing out" incidents scares me and my wife (at least for a week) although now I don't jump of bed suddenly, rather I sit for few minutes on edge of bed, wait & slowly proceed. (Prevent any reduction of blood flow to brain.) ???
- Raj

I just wrote on someone else's statement regarding fainting I to had episodes prior to diagnosis and cannot believe it is not related?

Best Wishes,
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:31:44 am by pjb »

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 09:07:02 am »
My brother in law has had the syncope episodes during the night when got up to use the bathroom.   Twice then ended up in the hospital with nothing  found.  He is 80 as older than my sister and has diabetes with neuropathy and some other health issues.     Once also happened when at a restaurant.       One always has to watch for orthostatic hypotension if stand up too fast also.     Plus some medications can cause hypotension also.        I could see the AN touching the brainstem could possibly be a the cause.       Always ask your dr with any questions you have about this.                             Cheryl R                 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care