Author Topic: cost of Phonak hearing aid  (Read 114803 times)

syman

cost of Phonak hearing aid
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:00:22 pm »
Hi all.  Retrosigmoid surgery in November and its looking like I am SSD.  I have read posts about the Phonak CROS and it sounds promising.  How much does it cost ?   thanks.

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Re: cost of Phonak hearing aid
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:19 am »
I have Phonak Audio Smart III hearing aid which cost $1640.  I know this doesn't answer your specific question but might give you an idea.  Also, I shopped around before I bought my hearing aid.  The first quote was double what I ended up paying for it.  ;)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Paul F

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:16:08 pm »

Shop around.  Mark-up on hearing devices are huge.  These aids are useless unless they are programed by a trained audiologist so buying one online is not a good idea.  There are also some many combinations with the Cros.  Check out Phonak America web site under "Cros".

Paul

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 03:56:05 pm »
Have you looked into a BAHA?

I ask for two reasons:  1) my neurotologist highly recommended a BAHA and I was very impressed with the demo, and 2) insurance typically doesn't pay for conventional hearing aids, but chances are they will pay for a BAHA implant and processor (tiny hearing aid).  The BAHA is "classified" as a prosthesis or an implant.

BAHAs aren't for everyone, but I've had mine for almost 4 years now and I've never regretted choosing it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »
I too am interested in the cost and ability of a CROS device, my Dr. is highly recommending it and claims that the device has been recently updated.

Regarding BAHA "costs"- Yes my insurance paid for the surgery, but so did I!  After 3 years of surgeries (150k!) I paid a LOT in co-pays, Dr. visits, deductibles, drugs, etc.  Got a 1k bill from the last "revision" and coming up for another. 
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Phillies

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 06:21:24 pm »
I just got my check from my insurance today for my Phonak Cros. My out of pocket expense was $480 or the $3,100 cost :)

nftwoed

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:16:53 pm »
Hi;

Just wondering if the Phonak Cros isn't still the analogue Telex Cros? Phonak bought Telex. Or, is the Cros now digital using wi-fi? It used to use FM signal for transmission to the good ear.

Thanks, if anyone replies; And, how do you like it if you have one?

Phillies

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »
I have no idea how it transmits to the good ear, but I do know it works pretty damm good and for an out of pocket cost of $480 how can I complain?

Paul F

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »
It is digital and uses a FM signal.  It doesn't use Wi-Fi but does have blue tooth capability.  I really enjoy Phonak's new bi-cros system.
Paul

leeclinton

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:21:25 pm »
I just checked with my audiologist and the cash pay cost of the Phonak CROS is $2,850.  I am starting a 90-day trial this Friday.  If I like it, I'll see if my insurance pays for any part of it.
Lee
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012

leeclinton

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:44:08 pm »
OK.  So I had my audiologist appointment at 8am this morning and got my trial Phonak CROS aids.  They were programmed and I went on to work and wore them the remainder of the day.  Here are my observations after 9 hours of continuous use:
1.  They are extremely small and light.  I didn't even realize I had them in, and others didn't notice until I mentioned them.
2.  The sound quality is excellent.  It sounded like regular sound.  No tinniness, no robotic sound, etc.
3.  I went out to lunch with co-workers and didn't have to fret about which seat I got.  I was able to hear the person seated immediately to my left without issue.
4.  After work, my wife tried whispering in my deaf ear and she was amazed when I was able to repeat back what she said.

So far, I am extremely satisfied.  I will continue to wear these almost non-stop during this free trial of several months and will continue to report back as time passes.  For now I give them an A.

Lee

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »
Well, I find this thread interesting.   I didn't realize there have been updates/improvements to the CROS.  When I researched it more about 2 years ago I seem to read a lot of negative stuff and how people didn't like the little wire OR how you had to have something in BOTH ears.....leeclinton don't make it sound too bad..??...

SO leeclinton, are you saying the FULL charge if you pay cash is $2850?  I have an appointment May 2nd with a new audiologist because I have had some changes with insurance & was thinking baha....hmmm?

Thanks!
Denise S
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Archer

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:11:26 am »
I have just recently started checking into the CROS aids.  Insurance has denied the BAHA option and I think the CROS may work for me.  The estimates I received from the Audiologist I saw ranged from $2,200 to $4,500 for the “system”.

The system consists of two units.  One behind the good ear acts as an aid/receiver.  It can be an aid for your hearing side if there is a hearing deficit which needs to be compensated for.  If there is no hearing loss on the good side it will simply act as the receiver for the signal coming from the SSD device.  The audiologist I talked with said there were three different levels of processing available in the good ear device if it needs to be an aid for the good side.  Each progressive level of course, has more features or enhancements in the processor that makes it work better in more situations from a quiet room, to in the car, to attending a rock concert.  Each level of processing comes with a different cost as well.  The good side unit ranged in cost from $1,200 to $2,300, to $3,500.

Then the SSD device on the poor ear acts as a transmitter which gathers the sound on that side and transmits it via wi-fi to the receiver in the good ear without processing it at all.  This unit priced at $1,000.

It seems the Phonak can be had in most any configuration.  If you only want the good side aid you just buy that.  If you want the CROS functions as well you buy both units and choose the level of processing you need or want.  It is almost like buying a car with or without options. 

Now mind you, this Audiologist is the first I have talked with about the CROS.  Others may give different prices and services.  I think someone here said the CROS needs adjustments and tweaking in order to work optimally for each user.  The guy I was talking with was associated with a regional health care system and offered it all.  That may come with some cost so there may be some cost savings with other vendors. 

This is how I understood the CROS.  I may have misunderstood some things but I believe this is pretty close.  I hope it helps.

Rich

leeclinton

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 11:42:21 am »
The understanding I have from my audiologist is that the full cost of the system, if insurance does not pay, is $2,850.  This includes both ear pieces and the configuration/set-up, warranty, and X-number of visits per year to get it tuned-up appropriately.  My understanding is also that their are different features that can be used, such as bluetooth to a cell phone, and settings for varying environments.  This is all included in the $2,850 I believe.  I think it's all inside the earpieces; it's just a matter of the programming by the audiologist.  I may be misinformed but that is my understanding.

Btw, there is another thread going about the CROS, titled CROS vs Soundbyte  or something like that.  I have detailed my experience and another member named Ross also detailed his experience within the last week or so as well.

Lee

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »
Lee & others, thanks for the info here & on other threads!!  I wanted the baha so bad, but insurance don't want to help.  What we'd pay for the New CROS is basically the same as what 20% of baha is after insurance (for those who have it).
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI