Author Topic: Wireless Headset for Work - Dilemma  (Read 2934 times)

lrobie

Wireless Headset for Work - Dilemma
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »
Hi All,

With my partial hearing loss being in my left ear, I have to use my right ear to answer the phone.  This causes me to have to hold the phone by bending my neck so that I can write messages/notes while still talking (right-handed).  I've decided that I'm going to order a wireless headset so that I will just have to push a button.  I will keep the headset on while I'm at work.  The dilemma...how will I hear out of my bad ear with my good ear covered by the headset?  Are there any other solutions out there that anyone knows of?  Thanks in advance.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Wireless Headset for Work - Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:35:50 pm »
I would also like to know this. I use a wireless headset for work right now on my non-AN ear but I can hear out my AN ear. I'm curious to know because if I were to lose my hearing after surgery.

Thanks
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

TP

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:31:12 pm »
Speaker phone!! I decided that I don't want anything up against my ear unless it is for a few minutes. Since I talk on the phone all day with my job I use a speaker phone. I am fortunate since I have an office in my home but if you feel uncomfortable putting anything up against you head/ear I would suggest talking to your management and asking if you can use a speaker phone.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

schmidtkat

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:12:50 am »
Lisa,
Great question! Similar dilema. I am back to work after my AN surgery and have SSD on my left side. I'm also right handed. So I can totally relate to the crinked neck holding the phone while writing with the right hand. I work from 2 different offices. At one, I can close the door and use a speaker phone. At the other, I have a shared space with cubicles.This does not lend itself well to a speaker phone. It's also interesting when ANY phone in the area rings. I am always looking at mine to see if it's lighting up to determine whether it's mine. Another interesting twist in that setting is when someone walks in and I am on the phone, s/he may attempt to just tell me something quickly and depart. Obviously with only one ear functioning I end up missing one conversation for sure and usually messes me up enough to miss both. I am anxious to read what others post to your question. Thanks for putting it out here.
Kathy

lrobie

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:29:02 am »
I have been using the speaker phone, but sometimes people can't hear me and I end up having to sit close to the phone or raising my voice.  Plus, the person on the other end may not like to be put on a speaker phone.  When I call someone and they put me on speaker phone, I always wonder if there is someone else listening in on the conversation.  Maybe that's a quicker way to get the caller off the phone though.   ;)

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie